ronwagn

California to ban gasoline for lawn mowers, chain saws, leaf blowers, off road equipment, etc.

(edited)

Don't forget, ALL small engines.Ā  No chainsaws, pressure washers, generators, weed wackers, water pumps, rotory drills, compactors, etc etc etc.

Guess they love wildfires, and will never harvest another tree again...Ā  Time to stop selling paper/cardboard to California.Ā 

PS: Why did you put this in oil general?Ā  Move it to politics

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Like 1

Well now i must admit to owning a a eco lawnmower. Quiet light and very robust, it handles about 10,000 sq ft on one charge. Light on its feet and easy to use, but it is quite terrible in picking up lawn debris..HMM i am a willing partner in the green revolution....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Well now i must admit to owning a a eco lawnmower. Quiet light and very robust, it handles about 10,000 sq ft on one charge. Light on its feet and easy to use, but it is quite terrible in picking up lawn debris..HMM i am a willing partner in the green revolution....

My brother uses one on his tiny patch of grass. Wouldn't work for me on my acre, but my acre would be worth millions in California.Ā 

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Don't forget, ALL small engines.Ā  No chainsaws, pressure washers, generators, weed wackers, water pumps, rotory drills, compactors, etc etc etc.

Guess they love wildfires, and will never harvest another tree again...Ā  Time to stop selling paper/cardboard to California.Ā 

PS: Why did you put this in oil general?Ā  Move it to politics

Because they run on gasoline and the demand will now go to electricity which will exacerbate the demand!

• Like 2

I mowed around 6 acres for almost a decade in tropical Georgia. I used to dream of a 54ā€ deck on a zero turning radius mower. Not sure an electric would handle that load.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, ronwagn said:

My brother uses one on his tiny patch of grass. Wouldn't work for me on my acre, but my acre would be worth millions in California.Ā 

Actually, you can buy robot mower that can easily do ~2(oops, I think it was 3/4, not 2) acres which self charges itself... if you do not mind the cut grass laying around.Ā  Cost last I checked was ~$1500

• Rolling Eye 1

2 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Actually, you can buy robot mower that can easily do ~2(oops, I think it was 3/4, not 2) acres which self charges itself... if you do not mind the cut grass laying around.Ā  Cost last I checked was ~$1500

I don't think it would do much good around 30 trees of several sizes, bushes, hazards, ditches, fences, etc. šŸ¤£

• Like 1

Just now, ronwagn said:

I don't think it would do much good around 30 trees of several sizes, bushes, hazards, ditches, fences, etc. šŸ¤£

They work EXACTLY like the robot vacuum cleaner.Ā  Identical circuitry my friend.Ā  Ditches yes, big problem, but then you aren't mowing ditches anyways.Ā  Weed Wacker territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boat said:

I mowed around 6 acres for almost a decade in tropical Georgia. I used to dream of a 54ā€ deck on a zero turning radius mower. Not sure an electric would handle that load.

I have it made compared to you, but it still takes me 3 1/2 hours to mow around my 30 trees, and other obstacles and ditches. It takes about 3 gallons of gasoline. My 54 inch mower gets stuck in my ditches so I have two 42 inch mowers. One is in reserve in case of downtime. šŸ˜‰

(edited)

17 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

They work EXACTLY like the robot vacuum cleaner.Ā  Identical circuitry my friend.Ā  Ditches yes, big problem, but then you aren't mowing ditches anyways.Ā  Weed Wacker territory.

I have about 600 feet of ditches about ten feet wide, so you need a 42 inch mower and a push mower for the steepest spots where you might tip over a riding mower. This time of year I will be mowing leaves and acorns several times. My Oaks are 160 years old. They are surrounded by numerous White Pines and one remaining Shagbark Hickory. I have spent thousands of dollars removing twoĀ Oaks and having others pruned. Plus insurance claims when giant limbs damaged my garages. Well worth it though. I love my parklike property.Ā 

Edited by ronwagn
spelling
  • Like 1

(edited)

24 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

I have about 600 feet of ditches about ten feet wide, so you need a 42 inch mower and a push mower for the steepest spots where you might tip over a riding mower. This time of year I will be mowing leaves and acorns several times. My Oaks are 160 years old. They are surrounded by numerous White Pines and one remaining Shagbark Hickory. I have spent thousands of dollars removing three Oaks and having others pruned. Plus insurance claims when giant limbs damaged my garages. Well worth it though. I love my parklike property.Ā 

160 year old Oaks... Yea reminds me of a town in Ohio, Chillicothe where most of town is lined by giant oak trees.Ā  The sidewalks do NOT meet OSHA standards!Ā  In fact half the sidewalks had been completely ripped out as the roots were enormous and the road itself was buckling in many places and alternated between Rock, roots, and Concrete(I kid you not).Ā  Went down there for bow hunting and rock climbing.Ā  Beautiful, VERY Beautiful, but very poor part of the world in SE Ohio.Ā  I would love to go back there someday.Ā  Dirt cheap place to retire, but if you have to have a walker or wheelchair, you might want to go elsewhere!

Have multiple 4ft and a single 5+ft DBH(EDIT Diameter Breast Height) trees on our own property and my neighbors have a 9ft Maple and they are about 150 years old and I would not cut them for anything in the world. In fact, over the decades have SLOWLY been clearing out around them so they keep their lower branches.Ā  Just hope whoever buys the place after I leave does not cut them down, or call them "hazard" trees.

Edit: Double edit: Chilicothe is a "tree" city.Ā  My only problem with your trees, and most other suburban trees is they are Oak, instead of Hickory, walnut, pecan, or mulberry.Ā  Shame Chestnut effectively died out.Ā  Keep hoping for a comeback.Ā  Most old houses back east were made of Chestnut as it grew straight, fast, tall, and nails easily unlike...oak.Ā 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

160 year old Oaks... Yea reminds me of a town in Ohio, Chillicothe where most of town is lined by giant oak trees.Ā  The sidewalks do NOT meet OSHA standards!Ā  In fact half the sidewalks had been completely ripped out as the roots were enormous and the road itself was buckling in many places and alternated between Rock, roots, and Concrete(I kid you not).Ā  Went down there for bow hunting and rock climbing.Ā  Beautiful, VERY Beautiful, but very poor part of the world in SE Ohio.Ā  I would love to go back there someday.Ā  Dirt cheap place to retire, but if you have to have a walker or wheelchair, you might want to go elsewhere!

Have multiple 4ft and a single 5+ft DBH(EDIT Diameter Breast Height) trees on our own property and my neighbors have a 9ft Maple and they are about 150 years old and I would not cut them for anything in the world. In fact, over the decades have SLOWLY been clearing out around them so they keep their lower branches.Ā  Just hope whoever buys the place after I leave does not cut them down, or call them "hazard" trees.

What's a tree?

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, turbguy said:

What's a tree?

Ā 

Ah Sagebrush/tumbleweeds... Grow mighty tall!Ā  Why I have been in sagebrush taller than I am.Ā  Though it was most likely Manzania, not sage brush...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, turbguy said:

What's a tree?

Ā 

They say there is a beautiful woman hiding behind every tree in WY, i might suggest keeping a tabĀ on such thing's...a proven disposition aid during trying time's.

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

I am of the understanding they are a big hit in CA, One has to wonder if a battery powered generator would be a "thing"....

• Haha 1

(edited)

17 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Edit: Double edit: Chilicothe is a "tree" city.Ā  My only problem with your trees, and most other suburban trees is they are Oak, instead of Hickory, walnut, pecan, or mulberry.Ā  Shame Chestnut effectively died out.Ā  Keep hoping for a comeback.Ā  Most old houses back east were made of Chestnut as it grew straight, fast, tall, and nails easily unlike...oak.Ā 

I looked up Chilicothe. I have been through the area traveling to Detroit and back since I was born there and live in Decatur, Illinois now. I spent half of my life in California before I escaped back to he Midwest. I lived in California when it was still a great place to live and kept moving further out from Los Angeles. I have two daughters and family there. I have seen lots of trees all over. Giant Sequoias, redwoods, pines of all kinds etc. I love them all. I like anywhere with lots of trees but especially with hills, mountains, and water. I avoid cities as much as possible.Ā 

I have seven Burr Oaks and they are magnificent, but too big for street trees. Too slow growing unless you are young.Ā 

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN7gMyJ9wDsdsmLMppILDIsmQFTSRBogG1pFNvoĀ 160 year old Burr Oaks planted after the Civil War.Ā 

TJ1HwoLfJzhona0AIascOm03tKkvnkd6ziVyBG1OyxwkS9gpwkAvVdzCtvVZYe05s35yw2-GyHPZuHJcSYpBbshDL8lk-z44670HSI4vkD1kO07ES4K6qVA1lVopDWozJtK_Ux5asXqvm_6vI7iGbF6ERWyQqO_CqZbhROZgwXx-yqv69PWKu0z3wqtmrTxo0zQV7iykM01dK5w0YGbsK6uVE-HFJRjh8iAZiOMv4Zz39H0JiRrIewyju_Zj5zLXM5M4-VqBbFzd8OjtTMlCc1XAzggbejfUlNa0YH4tfgc7HkpAAb5Bo8OBQ8g6ojmzmqb2UBhsLyQ7yKPzoLc8DVj5_OYPu_vjcohgCk0uN5edOtZgGcwih-asY3hZ7gd1OfXR_WDnu-mNhRyPXxYPKqf0UGWcKo8jfP1nBCFSvsp6-XeaNrU8XPCx46oaiTFW5NmGyvG9V59qTo1bEZpMmBBWBN6-eI_yplmSuv217Z5YlF5fIKqjpi6LUapEydOBnXtaJfEU8aSI7Y8dTqrUoXvZRy8TAeUcsw0gRu51Lq_olPIWdjBOXfZwwPnuRaoztzxbUDbBv5ceVvgWhVLDJGSZjGTN09dHW8VcMMFFesWKJZFLL8yWWl8ba81eS_CH0uu3YzRy5jP32dHiOZOmFL4GvI9HdZ7u2epesawFFi15x-TETZPmBn-D2_-CAO9Lv5jRoNE0h4QS-QpDjEXrbDVw=w1479-h665-no?authuser=0

image.jpeg.5c358f0ccd16575987c0aea78dee6b66.jpeg

Ā 

https://www.nps.gov/articles/mcbaine-burr-oak-lewis-and-clark-national-historic-trail.htmĀ Largest Burr Oak about 375 years old.Ā 

Big Oak tree

Ā 

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:11 AM, ronwagn said:

I have it made compared to you, but it still takes me 3 1/2 hours to mow around my 30 trees, and other obstacles and ditches. It takes about 3 gallons of gasoline. My 54 inch mower gets stuck in my ditches so I have two 42 inch mowers. One is in reserve in case of downtime. šŸ˜‰

Have you thought about getting someone in to do all that for you, then you can play more golf or whatever rocks your boatĀ šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, turbguy said:

They are a battery inverter, not a generator.Ā  Just because some ahole marketing genius throws on the word "generator" after battery does not make it true.Ā  Is power being created?Ā  No.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

They are a battery inverter, not a generator.Ā  Just because some ahole marketing genius throws on the word "generator" after battery does not make it true.Ā  Is power being created?Ā  No.Ā 

If you don't appreciate the nomenclature, too bad.

Yes power is being "created", via a chemical reaction.

Just like combusting a fuel.

If it gets refilled with electricity vs petroleum, so what?

Ā 

Ā 

• Great Response! 1

It's easier to attack Lawn mowers compared to 16 Liter SUV to reduce by 3 Liter.

When I was a wee lad in 1960-ties in Poland, two technologies were predominant in making grass short.

Number one,Ā Ā scythe. Ā Wielded with practice hand, it was as fast as a lawn mower, although you have to rake the grass and dry it, and have someone interested in your hay.

Number two, sheep. Ā They crop grass more evenly, and take care of clippings, so all-in-one package.

An improved version would be grazing kangaroos. Ā Unlike sheep and cows, they convert grass into meat without emitting methane.

Thinking about it, a household in outer suburbs can provide enough grass for a horse that can alsoĀ be used for shopping and recreation. Ā Unfortunately, shopping centers rarely reserve a part of the parking area for horses.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, turbguy said:

What's a tree?

Ā 

might be something that burns with orangy- red fire in California, and other less developed areas where logging is deemed too troublesome compared to clearing land with a blaze........ :o:|

19 hours ago, Piotr Berman said:

When I was a wee lad in 1960-ties in Poland, two technologies were predominant in making grass short.

Number one,Ā Ā scythe. Ā Wielded with practice hand, it was as fast as a lawn mower, although you have to rake the grass and dry it, and have someone interested in your hay.

Number two, sheep. Ā They crop grass more evenly, and take care of clippings, so all-in-one package.

An improved version would be grazing kangaroos. Ā Unlike sheep and cows, they convert grass into meat without emitting methane.

Thinking about it, a household in outer suburbs can provide enough grass for a horse that can alsoĀ be used for shopping and recreation. Ā Unfortunately, shopping centers rarely reserve a part of the parking area for horses.

about to try that trick......... to have cows clearing weed off ........ need no manual effort of cutting grass, mowing etc every other week. Besides daydream of harvesting milk, making cheese, ice cream and stuff ............. But, allaassss........ cow fart and cow dung are categorized as hazardous or unhygienic material by the government in residential area........ Plan not approved........

image.thumb.png.60ef2afc4e5a639b1665ba2de416cea2.png

• Haha 1