ronwagn

California to ban gasoline for lawn mowers, chain saws, leaf blowers, off road equipment, etc.

Then again , With all the illegals Biden is letting in, California residents can provide the with hand tools and manual push lawn mowerā€™s like back in the day!Ā 
Ā 

Is California passing a law on it agriculture growers for the gas and diesel power equipment or just going to put an arrayed set of Solar Panels on the farming equipment ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

There is a guy named Sanches in this very thread, he might know where the Mexicans are?

Be nice. I am part Mestizo from New Mexico.Ā 

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

No, no. You need some from Old Mexico!

• Haha 1

The battery lawnmowers are great for tiny lawns and that is it.Ā 

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

No, no. You need some from Old Mexico!

When I was a kid many of the Los Angeles Mexicans stuck to English speaking and soon lost the Spanish language. There is a lot more Spanish and bilingual use now.Ā 

The Germans around the Midwest decided to lose their German language after WW1 and WW2.Ā 

Edited by ronwagn

Just now, ronwagn said:

When I was a kid many of the Los Angeles Mexicans stuck to English speaking and soon lost the Spanish language. There is a lot more Spanish and bilingual use now.Ā 

Effectively, USA got the state of New Mexico from a treaty with "Apaches" The part of it that stipulates renaming the rest of Mexico "Old Mexico" remains unfulfilled! Don't you feel like fixing it?

• Rolling Eye 1

4 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Effectively, USA got the state of New Mexico from a treaty with "Apaches" The part of it that stipulates renaming the rest of Mexico "Old Mexico" remains unfulfilled! Don't you feel like fixing it?

Never heard of it. I am part Mescalero, Apache.Ā 

5 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Never heard of it. I am part Mescalero, Apache.Ā 

So it your duty! Possibly this one

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/apa1852.asp

And so, the USA saved New Mexico from them no-good Apaches and the cavalry got the keys to Albuquerque from the thankful locals. Only the Jesuit padres saw through the scam, but did not know how to operate the cannons on their own.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

So it your duty! Possibly this one

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/apa1852.asp

And so, the USA saved New Mexico from them no-good Apaches and the cavalry got the keys to Albuquerque from the thankful locals. Only the Jesuit padres saw through the scam, but did not know how to operate the cannons on their own.

There is as much Apache blood south of the border as there is north of it. Also more American Indian blood, in general, than there ever was when they owned the continent.Ā Ā (My guess). Most Americans are proud to speak of their bit of Native American blood. The Spanish refer to mixed races as Mestizo. The lighter skins are preferred worldwide with few exceptions.Ā 

The Apache hated the Mexicans more than the Americans. Geronimo never liked them and said they always lied. They killed his family when he was gone to a battle.Ā 

https://www.history.com/news/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-geronimo

9 hours ago, ronwagn said:

There is as much Apache blood south of the border as there is north of it. Also more American Indian blood, in general, than there ever was when they owned the continent.Ā Ā (My guess). Most Americans are proud to speak of their bit of Native American blood. The Spanish refer to mixed races as Mestizo. The lighter skins are preferred worldwide with few exceptions.Ā 

The Apache hated the Mexicans more than the Americans. Geronimo never liked them and said they always lied. They killed his family when he was gone to a battle.Ā 

https://www.history.com/news/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-geronimo

Here is an annotated version

https://portal.azoah.com/oedf/documents/17-001-WQAB/SCAT-35-J.Welch.2017Treaty.SantaFe.BATES.pdf

Should be the one that shows how

a) It took about $20 to get one "Apache chieftain" to turn his opinion against the others

b) Neither side had any intention to abide by the treaty whatsoever

Geronimo must have been a great storyteller. Even taught about his people's mysterious ways at West Point. Seems to be the only contemporary character who was photographed more often than Ulysses S. Grant. Too bad that the Democratic party did not discover the SJW values yet and was working the pro-slavery angle. I reckon, he'd be the only one to have a running chance against the good general.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Ugh. In some places, Mestizo is actually a racial slur.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The portion with "old Mexico" was settled by the Treaty of Guadalupe HidalgoĀ  in 1848.Ā  That was four years BEFORE the Apache treaty.Ā  The goof balls don't do any better with the history of Eastern Europe where they never heard of the Kingdom of Poland and Duchy of Lithuania. The history also leaves out Quannah ParkerĀ  and Crazy Horse of the Cheyenne(insult to the Cheyenne nation). Also leaves out Three Fingers McKenzie battle of Palo Duro Canyon.

• Like 1

(edited)

On 11/5/2021 at 8:14 PM, ronwagn said:

Not much as a percentage. Around here we don't have it.Ā 

Certainly a tiny amount - and an amusing thought for that.

I do understand why CA is banning these though: lawn equipment can produce more pollution than a car - even accounting for how little it's used. It's also noisy, and those gas cans are an insurance risk. All things considered, electric lawn equipment might be the most economical option today.

That said, I've been surprised by how little things can make big impacts. "Not much as a percentage" sounds reasonable until we find hundreds of small percentages. When we break the oil market down to a level where electrification economics can be calculated, most oil demand comes from "small percentages". E.g. it's common to lump road transport into commercial and non-commercial, but that's not a useful partition*. We must divide non-commercial drivers into those who drive long distances and those who do not. We must divide commercial drivers into a variety of use cases:

• Do they return to the same depot every day?
  • How far do they drive daily?
  • Do they pull extremely heavy loads?
  • What is the cost of electricity at that location?
  • Is their driving low-speed, stop-and-go?
  • Do they need to run auxiliary equipment, such as hydraulics or refrigeration?
  • Can this application be *partially* electrified?
  • etc.

Just with the factors mentioned above, we can partition commercial transport into 2^7=128 unique use cases. That's approximately 20% of oil consumption divided into *at least* 128 categories. That's a lot of small percentages - and most of them can be economically electrified today.

So sure, we should laugh at small changes because they're amusing. I wouldn't laugh out of derision though; those small changes are harbingers.

Ā 

*I use the term "partition" precisely. In general, I try to avoid jargon, but this one is worth spending a few minutes to understand.

Edited by BenFranklin'sSpectacles
Fixed a sentence I forgot to finish.
  • Like 1