Why US consumes more oil than any other country?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anisha fatima said:

#1 reason: 1/3 of that "consumption" gets shipped around the world in the form of oil based products(gasoline, diesel, fertilizer, glues, paints, lubricants, plastics, etc) 

#2 reason: USA was first industrialized nation built around the train/automobile/truck and has become ubiquitious.  You will note every country around the world is INCREASING their usage of plastics, etc as they industrialize to a modern standard.  Which is why even if the entire world goes to Electric Vehicles, Oil demand will STILL be as high as it is today. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 4

US grew on cheap and plentiful oil from Gulf of Mexico. Then, Saudis were giving their oil away in exchange for easily replicated IOUs and things were good.  US government and people took it as their birthright to devour oil in the most wasteful ways imaginable.  This cost free lifestyle is coming to an end in a matter of (single number) years, hence the desperate attempts to rob Iraq, Venezuela, Russia of their resources.  But nobody wants to be bullied and robbed any more.  Interesting times ahead.

You got that in data or is that your opinion. What is transportation percentage now. Then what’s your timeline of filling the drop in transportation consumption with plastics/alternative. Talk in numbers dude. Let me teach you how to be woke and be curious with data instead of verbiage. Let’s see those projections in charts. 

12 hours ago, Boat said:

You got that in data or is that your opinion. What is transportation percentage now. Then what’s your timeline of filling the drop in transportation consumption with plastics/alternative. Talk in numbers dude. Let me teach you how to be woke and be curious with data instead of verbiage. Let’s see those projections in charts. 

Let's see some actual rolling stock for EVs, right now it is only a drop in the bucket.

• Upvote 1

Please teach me how to be "woke". Data like what you are asking for would be quite robust and could be taken out of interpretation. This is a forum sooooooooooo im not sure if you will ever get that answer here. This is more of a discussion and not a fact dropping session.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:25 AM, Anisha fatima said:

Very good question. Why is that comes to mind

Try to keep it simple, long winded extrapolations bring very little clarity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Let's see some actual rolling stock for EVs, right now it is only a drop in the bucket.

How much rolling stock do you need to see. Like Mongolian coal? Maybe next year with no numerical projections? Tesla went from 300,000+ to 900,000+ with projections in 2022 of 1,600,000 to 2 million. 2022 the year of the electric truck? 

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Very good question. Why is that comes to mind

Try to keep it simple, long winded extrapolations bring very little 

• Like 1

Go for it child, try some basic math.  We will all wait till the heat death of the universe for your to show simple math I am sure. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:57 PM, Boat said:

• Like 1

I won’t belabor the issue with pithy stats since history texts are rife with deeply referenced articulations of how the US has evolved since its founding…I will only note that this nation’s rise to become the world’s most industrialized country, (also well documented in economic textbooks), was due to the ambition of its leaders for innovation in the midst of a free economy, and that ambition was enabled by access to fossil fuels and an innovative energy sector. As that evolution progressed, a synergy evolved between the emerging energy sector and the expanding manufacturing sector that enabled the evolution of the innovative technology needed to continue growing the energy resources needed to “fuel the beast.” Those dynamics were only possible in the free enterprise economy that has prevailed in the US, and that phenomenon continues today, much to the dismay of Joe Biden! In short, we consume more oil because we produce more!

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:25 AM, Anisha fatima said:

because the cost of oil (gasoline) is very cheap compared to income in the us and we do not restrict our travels to conserve oil. Raise the price of gas in the US to $10 (through heavy taxes) like in Europe and you will see a huge drop in consumption by reduction in driving and or buying fuel efficient vehicles. All a matter of money

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/3/2022 at 4:25 AM, Anisha fatima said:

Because we had to build a huge industrial society to defeat the Nazis and their Muslim allies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

On 1/3/2022 at 2:25 AM, Anisha fatima said:

Why Not? Because America!! 

Edited by Bobby P
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Boat said:

How much rolling stock do you need to see. Like Mongolian coal? Maybe next year with no numerical projections? Tesla went from 300,000+ to 900,000+ with projections in 2022 of 1,600,000 to 2 million. 2022 the year of the electric truck? 

Rolling stock for EVs as a percentage of total rolling stock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, notsonice said:

because the cost of oil (gasoline) is very cheap compared to income in the us and we do not restrict our travels to conserve oil. Raise the price of gas in the US to $10 (through heavy taxes) like in Europe and you will see a huge drop in consumption by reduction in driving and or buying fuel efficient vehicles. All a matter of money

And when it hits $5 there will be a new government to replace the Green Dreamers.

• Great Response! 1

23 hours ago, Legato One said:

I won’t belabor the issue with pithy stats since history texts are rife with deeply referenced articulations of how the US has evolved since its founding…I will only note that this nation’s rise to become the world’s most industrialized country, (also well documented in economic textbooks), was due to the ambition of its leaders for innovation in the midst of a free economy, and that ambition was enabled by access to fossil fuels and an innovative energy sector. As that evolution progressed, a synergy evolved between the emerging energy sector and the expanding manufacturing sector that enabled the evolution of the innovative technology needed to continue growing the energy resources needed to “fuel the beast.” Those dynamics were only possible in the free enterprise economy that has prevailed in the US, and that phenomenon continues today, much to the dismay of Joe Biden! In short, we consume more oil because we produce more!

The only argument against your analysis is a quack non-scientific appeal to a change in the weather.

• Like 1

Energy = prosperity. Unfortunately, the whiners on the left want wind farms, but NIMBY. Also, they only want more energy production if they get a slice of the pie for allowing it. You need to hire Hunter Biden and pay him in order to produce more energy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sanches said:

Energy = prosperity. Unfortunately, the whiners on the left want wind farms, but NIMBY. Also, they only want more energy production if they get a slice of the pie for allowing it. You need to hire Hunter Biden and pay him in order to produce more energy.

Fortunately there are some areas of the country that are barren and not scenic. Then you have offshore wind beyond the horizon. That is all good with me if they are not funded by the government in any way, and the costs to the consumers do not rise.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:21 PM, Boat said:

Here are the projections again. Why not wait and see what the demand will be for the prices asked? That would be logical. Right now you have a group of wealthy people that can afford EVs who also have EVs some of which are hybrid. Don't mix the hybrids in as EVs until you see statistics on how much of the driving is with gasoline. Tesla is not expecting to produce trucks until 2023 now. Ford may be first and with a much larger truck. 

Because IMHO we are the most successful country in the history of the world. The most diverse. The most accepting of legal immigrants from all countries. The country with the most legal immigrants and, unfortunately, illegal immigrants. We are relatively wealthy, and we are a constitutional republic and a democracy. Our people, can directly affect our taxation by demanding lower or higher expenditures. We have a great range of weather from cold to warm and dry to humid. Our neighbor Canada builds their cities as close to our border as possible. We enjoy large,medium, and small vehicles. We have one of each. We are now using a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage most of the time. It gets 40 mpg. 

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

Here are the projections again. Why not wait and see what the demand will be for the prices asked? That would be logical. Right now you have a group of wealthy people that can afford EVs who also have EVs some of which are hybrid. Don't mix the hybrids in as EVs until you see statistics on how much of the driving is with gasoline. Tesla is not expecting to produce trucks until 2023 now. Ford may be first and with a much larger truck. 

You might be getting mixed up. So far Tesla demand has been selling cars as fast as they can make them. The numbers I gave you don’t include any hybrids. Those are Tesla cars. I had not heard that Tesla won’t produce trucks in 2022. You got a link on that?

(edited)

13 minutes ago, Boat said:

You might be getting mixed up. So far Tesla demand has been selling cars as fast as they can make them. The numbers I gave you don’t include any hybrids. Those are Tesla cars. I had not heard that Tesla won’t produce trucks in 2022. You got a link on that?

Sorry, but it should be easy to find. I did read it recently. It is from Musk. He is blaming the supply of parts from China. Tesla's are very popular in California. I have rarely seen one anywhere else. I live in the Midwest. My only objection to them is price and recharging in some areas. I would want a hybrid. 

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/5-electric-trucks-to-look-out-for-in-2022/

Edited by ronwagn
reference

We are the only wealthy country with a population of 330 million people. We drive farther, we like to travel in our private vehicles. We have the fuel in our own country. We have almost as many vehicles as people. 

19 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Sorry, but it should be easy to find. I did read it recently. It is from Musk. He is blaming the supply of parts from China. Tesla's are very popular in California. I have rarely seen one anywhere else. I live in the Midwest. My only objection to them is price and recharging in some areas. I would want a hybrid. 

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/5-electric-trucks-to-look-out-for-in-2022/

I live on the western side of Houston, and I have to say that Tesla's are easily one of the most popular new vehicles in this area.  If I had to make a guess based on the analysis from the Mark 1 eyeball,  I would say that over the last 2 or 3 years that 5-10% of all new car sales in this area have been Tesla's.  The grocery store by my house also has a supercharger station, and you can go by any time and there are people getting fueled up over there, often long distance travelers (you can tell by the out of state plates, luggage, etc.) There are 15-20 charging stalls, and at any given time 5-6 on average are occupied.  When I had to run to the store the weekend after Christmas ALL of them were occupied, obviously by people topping up before heading home after Christmas.  Not only were all the cars charging, but the grassy area nearby was filled with kids, dogs and grandparents playing with their new Christmas presents, while the adults were grabbing starbucks and snacks for the trip home.    

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, Anisha fatima said:

Simple, Housing very weak isolation. US can't compete with a Japanese home from  1650 in Kyoto. Grotesk. Second Car consumption at least 3-4 Litre above Europe, Japan, Korea Car manufacturer. Third very weak public Transport System. Most based on Oil, Schoolbuses, Diesel Railway.

And at last America doesn't care about Energie consumption. Technological stone age.

• Rolling Eye 1