ronwagn

Natural Gas is the Cleanest and most Likely Source of Energy to Fuel the World.

Natural gas is largely ignored on our blogs and topics. It is, I assume, because most people prefer the fuels and vehicles that are covered by the mainstream media. I will be giving the alternative stories that are ignored. I have been studying energy and natural gas for nine years and have thousands of links regarding natural gas, natural gas vehicles, natural gas tanks, converting existing vehicles to natural gas, home fueling systems etc. 

I am not an engineer or knowledgeable about the complexity of how to build these systems myself. Any good mechanic could learn how to convert ICE vehicles to dual use fuel, whether it is natural gas and gasoline or some other fuel. Trifuel systems are sometimes used also, especially in Brazil where ethanol is well priced, natural gas and gasoline are the other choices there. 

Natural gas vehicles are often chosen because natural gas is clean. I currently use it in a heating stove in my living room and it can heat the whole house in cold weather. I have a whole house natural gas system which we only use when we go to bed as I don't want an open flame and don't need to keep the whole house as warm at night. I live in an average latitude just north of St. Louis about 60 miles. 

Vehicles that use natural gas range from huge ships to smaller ships, ferries, large trucks, pickup trucks, buses, cars, motor scooters, and other small vehicles. Some locomotives have used natural gas, and it could be used to fuel them.

Natural gas comes in three main forms: Piped natural gas which can range from huge pipelines that travel thousands of miles and feed into pipes for businesses and homes. Compressed natural gas (CNG) which can come from a normal house and be pumped directly into any natural gas vehicle with a special compressor, or a larger pump which can be used in a service station or trucking company. The range of installations runs the gamut of small to very large. The third form of natural gas is liquified natural gas (LNG). It requires special equipment of various scales that range from large installations that cost billions of dollars to service stations that operate much like a normal gasoline station but require the compression tanks and special nozzles etc. The natural gas can be piped or it can delivered by tanker trucks just as gasoline is delivered. 

From this point I will start entering many links and pictures over time. I make no money from my work, and am active on many blogs so it will take time to add a significant number of good links. Thanks to anyone who follows my information. 

(edited)

http://www.ngvglobal.com/  This is one of my favorite sites and it covers a large gamut of vehicles and infrastructure.

http://www.ngvglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/cng-compressor-gnv-gigabox-th.jpgGalileo Technologies (Galileo) has expanded its presence in the United States with the launch of Galileo Compression USA, a division of the energy company’s compression business. Compression USA will focus on the sales and distribution of compression solutions and products, such as compressed natural gas (CNG). 

GRDF expressed an interest in evaluating HYGEN’s new liquid piston technology as it applies to CNG fueling of NGVs in a fleet application. In particular, the test was performed on the HYGEN+, a standalone system comprised of a dual liquid piston compressor, 200 BAR storage and dispensing system.  

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Great Response! 1

6181239f1d31bd84c924cdcd_unnamed.png

The IQuay enables quick gas-to-power projects and is applicable for both onshore and offshore infrastructure. 

• Great Response! 1

18 hours ago, ronwagn said:

to service stations that operate much like a normal gasoline station but require the compression tanks and special nozzles etc. The natural gas can be piped or it can delivered by tanker trucks just as gasoline is delivered. 

I fully agree that gas in its various forms is about the only option if coal is to be demonised and nuclear is rejected, and it is certainly cleaner than coal. It is also the only realistic alternative to petrol if we wish to get rid of petrol - however I have a mate who still drives a car which uses LNG, if and when he can get it refuelled. There was a surge of enthusiasm for such cars a few years back but the enthusiasm was not sustained and now few petrol stations have the refuelling points.. something to bear in mind if we go there again..  

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, markslawson said:

I fully agree that gas in its various forms is about the only option if coal is to be demonised and nuclear is rejected, and it is certainly cleaner than coal. It is also the only realistic alternative to petrol if we wish to get rid of petrol - however I have a mate who still drives a car which uses LNG, if and when he can get it refuelled. There was a surge of enthusiasm for such cars a few years back but the enthusiasm was not sustained and now few petrol stations have the refuelling points.. something to bear in mind if we go there again..  

Are you talking about the United States or the worldwide situation? Also, are you sure he uses LNG not CNG? CNG is much easier to find and can be pumped from an ordinary home natural gas pipe into a safe compressor designed for the proper CNG pressure. It may cost one or two thousand dollars for the equipment to do that, but then you have cheap fuel. About six years ago our government granted Texas A&M and a large pump manufacturer millions of dollars to invent a good pump that would cost $500. I have not been able to find any information about what the research achieved. One could probably buy one directly from China for that without much trouble, but I am not qualified to recommend that. 

Here is a map of all the available CNG stations. https://afdc.energy.gov/stations/#/find/nearest?fuel=CNG

Here is a list showing the number of CNG stations in the various countries of Europe. 

http://cngeurope.com/

Russia

https://cng-stations.net/Russland.en.htm

Worldwide natural gas vehicles and stations by country. Guess who the leaders are! 

http://www.ngvjournal.com/worldwide-ngv-statistics

Worldwide NGV statistics

Country Natural Gas Vehicles (a) N/m³ monthly sales average Refuelling stations Refuelling stations under construction or projected
Country Natural Gas Vehicles (a) N/m³ monthly sales average Refuelling stations Refuelling stations under construction or projected
Afganistan 1.701   2  
Germany 98.172 23.000.000 921 1
Algeria 215   4  
Argentina 2.487.349 239.815.000 1.939  
Armenia 244.000 26.520.000 345  
Australia 3.110   52 10
Austria 8.332 13.500.000 180  
Bangladesh 220.000 91.550.000 585  
Belarus 4.600   42  
Belgium 1.053   20 21
Bolivia 300.000 26.278.135 178  
Bosnia & Herzegovina 35   3  
Brasil 1.781.102 144.535.636 1.805  
Bulgaria 61.320 15.000.000 110 7
Canada 14.205   89  
Chile 8.164 3.200.000 15 70
China 3.994.350   6.502 2.913
Colombia 500.000 45.000.000 800  
South Korea 40.532 93.000.000 201  
Croatia 329 80.000 3 1
Denmark 104   7 3
Egypt 207.617 46.850.000 181  
Ecuador 40   1  
United Arab Emirates 4.179   18 54
Slovakia 426 1.000.000 14 4
Slovenia 58 8.200 7 1
Spain 3.990 94.060.000 86 12
United States 150.000 77.520.000 1.615 239
Estonia 340 20.000 5 1
Philippines 20   1  
Finland 1.800 420.000 26 1
France 13.550 6.000.000 311 11
Georgia 80.600   100 25
Greece 1.000 1.330.000 7 7
Hungary 5.118 220.000 19 10
India 1.800.000 163.210.000 936  
Indonesia 5.690   11 4
Iran 4.068.632 630.000.000 2.268  
Ireland 3     9
Iceland 2.016 17.000 6  
Italy 885.300 75.000.000 1.060  
Japan 42.590   314  
Kazakhstan 20   1 90
Kyrgyzstann 6.000 600.000 6  
Latvia 29 3.000 2  
Liechtenstein 143 100.000 2 1
Lithuania 380 200.000 5 4
Luxembourg 270   7 2
Macedonia 54 20.000 1 3
Malaysia 55.999 14.800.000 184  
Mexico 2.620 1.375.000 8  
Moldova 2.200 400.000 24  
Montenegro     1  
Mozambique 1.380 240.000 5 2
Myanmar 27.137   45  
Nigeria 3.798   8 10
Norway 667 16.400.000 22 4
Netherlands 7.573   147 31
New Zealand 201   14  
Panama 15      
Pakistan 3.700.000 245.750.000 2.997  
Peru 183.786 18.562.500 237  
Poland 3.590 760.000 88 52
Portugal 586 1.160.000 5 1
Qatar 76   1  
United Kingdom 663 3.000.000 22 5
Czech Republic 8.817 2.000.000 101 30
Dominican Republic 10.909   15 100
Rumania 2   2  
Russia 90.050 33.750.000 253 15
Serbia 878 31.000 10 2
Singapore 4.638 1.030.000 3  
South Africa 937   3 5
Sweden 46.715 11.700.000 213  
Switzerland 11.640 1.610.000 167 3
Thailand 462.454 184.200.000 497  
Tajikistan 10.600 4.130.000 53  
Tanzania 55   1 2
Trinidad and Tobago 3.535 1.800.000 11 22
Tunisia 34   1  
Turkmenistan     1  
Turkey 3.850 4.200.000 14  
Ukraine 170.000 52.000.000 325  
Uzbekistan 450.000   213 50
Venezuela 90.000 8.152.054 166 300
Vietnam 462   7  
Total 22.404.405 2.182.877.525 26.677 4.138

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Here is a map of all the available CNG stations. https://afdc.energy.gov/stations/#/find/nearest?fuel=CNG

Here is a list showing the number of CNG stations in the various countries of Europe. 

Nope - I'm talking about Australia which is an enormous LNG producer (the US may overtake it in a few years, but for the moment it is the largest). And I'm pretty sure it was LNG - however, I haven't checked with him for some time I admit. I have noted your compressed gas map and, sure, it is a viable alternative to petroleum. Its just the question of how much political will governments will exert in pushing it and how many vehicles have to be converted before its convenience rivals that of regular petrol.. anyway, leave it with you.. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, markslawson said:

Nope - I'm talking about Australia which is an enormous LNG producer (the US may overtake it in a few years, but for the moment it is the largest). And I'm pretty sure it was LNG - however, I haven't checked with him for some time I admit. I have noted your compressed gas map and, sure, it is a viable alternative to petroleum. Its just the question of how much political will governments will exert in pushing it and how many vehicles have to be converted before its convenience rivals that of regular petrol.. anyway, leave it with you.. 

Australia could have been a great beneficiary of using it for vehicles, and still can be. On the other hand it is IMHO the best way to produce electricity also. Your governmental decisions in Australia never added up to me, but I do not know all the factors. 

Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas are about equal in Australia. Renewables are negligible despite claims by others. I still do not believe that buying components for renewables from China is a good idea . If it could be done in Australia it might make sense. You obviously have plenty of less prime land that could be used for wind and solar plus out of site off your shores beyond the horizon. I would appreciate any more insights you could provide. 

https://ourworldindata.org/energy/country/australia

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

21 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Australia could have been a great beneficiary of using it for vehicles, and still can be. On the other hand it is IMHO the best way to produce electricity also. Your governmental decisions in Australia never added up to me, but I do not know all the factors. 

Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas are about equal in Australia. Renewables are negligible despite claims by others. I still do not believe that buying components for renewables from China is a good idea . If it could be done in Australia it might make sense. You obviously have plenty of less prime land that could be used for wind and solar plus out of site off your shores beyond the horizon. I would appreciate any more insights you could provide. 

https://ourworldindata.org/energy/country/australia

Ron, the reason we buy from China is because US business run by  stupid MBA's.A's worry about labor costs and not supply chain problems.  Coal and nuclear have two major strikes  besides CO2.  They exhaust a high Delta T into the atmosphere doubling down on heating the atmosphere and trapping heat. Any thermal device with cooling towers or ponds or dumping into a body of water is a major contributor to the heating problem.  Coal is wasteful of energy in transportation. Nuclear we don't know how to dispose of safely. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/402002/leaking-nuclear-waste-dome-marshalls-consider-legal-action Our wonderful ideas on how to do this fail with the passage of time.   Based on today's technology,  each site will need 3 successive storage/containers to to reach the 250 year mark where less stringent protective standards should apply. As demonstrated in the Marshalls and at Hanford, concrete(as we mix it today) does not withstand nuclear radiation by Alpha and Beta particles well.  the rebar fails first then the concrete mix.

Edited by nsdp
  • Great Response! 1

20 hours ago, nsdp said:

Nuclear we don't know how to dispose of safely. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/402002/leaking-nuclear-waste-dome-marshalls-consider-legal-action Our wonderful ideas on how to do this fail with the passage of time.   Based on today's technology,  each site will need 3 successive storage/containers to to reach the 250 year mark where less stringent protective standards should apply. As demonstrated in the Marshalls and at Hanford, concrete(as we mix it today) does not withstand nuclear radiation by Alpha and Beta particles well.  the rebar fails first then the concrete mix.

Well, we do, but a clarification is required. We can store it with sufficient safety to rule out any problems now and in the future, but we cannot store it with sufficient safety to satisfy activists who will never be satisfied. The business about concrete and rebar breaking down is irrelevant as the idea is not to go near the storage units in the first place, and shows a certain lack of knowledge about radiation. alpha and beta radiation can be blocked by most things.. (ordinary rad suits should keep them out, at least for a time). Gamma radiation (Xrays) is the one to watch. But a very good start is to simply drop the control rod is a big box of Earth and put it somewhere well away from idiots who may want to interact with it. A big sign saying 'danger radiation' should help. Even over a century or the storage volumes would not be great, and the danger vanishingly small. But of course people just will not listen..  Gas power is really the only option in developed countries..  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, markslawson said:

Well, we do, but a clarification is required. We can store it with sufficient safety to rule out any problems now and in the future, but we cannot store it with sufficient safety to satisfy activists who will never be satisfied. The business about concrete and rebar breaking down is irrelevant as the idea is not to go near the storage units in the first place, and shows a certain lack of knowledge about radiation. alpha and beta radiation can be blocked by most things.. (ordinary rad suits should keep them out, at least for a time). Gamma radiation (Xrays) is the one to watch. But a very good start is to simply drop the control rod is a big box of Earth and put it somewhere well away from idiots who may want to interact with it. A big sign saying 'danger radiation' should help. Even over a century or the storage volumes would not be great, and the danger vanishingly small. But of course people just will not listen..  Gas power is really the only option in developed countries.. 

Until the disintegration of the Marshall Islands  and Hanford are solved you have no place in the crust of the earth that is deep enough  to drill beyond 30 KM depth. That means you are still in the earths crust.  May be if we drilled a hole and use  you and your ignorance as a packer for the hole we could start with Roman formula concrete as a plug above you.

1 hour ago, nsdp said:

Until the disintegration of the Marshall Islands  and Hanford are solved you have no place in the crust of the earth that is deep enough  to drill beyond 30 KM depth. That means you are still in the earths crust.  May be if we drilled a hole and use  you and your ignorance as a packer for the hole we could start with Roman formula concrete as a plug above you.

I thought the general process for deep geological disposal of high grade nuclear waste was vitrify in glass. Place in copper container. Embed in bentonite clay and cap off with concrete. You have multiple layers of protection there where if one barrier fails you have others as back up. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nsdp said:

There are plenty of places in the Earth's crust that would be perfectly safe for nuclear waste disposal - off the top of my head, there are considerable portions of Australia, the Canadian Shield, the Baltic Craton, and large chunks of Africa which are/have been geologically stable for billions of years.  You don't have to get past/below them to get to a safe place - they already are safe places.  Just go down a few km, set it place, and you are done. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NickW said:

I thought the general process for deep geological disposal of high grade nuclear waste was vitrify in glass. Place in copper container. Embed in bentonite clay and cap off with concrete. You have multiple layers of protection there where if one barrier fails you have others as back up. 

That's for shallow disposal - a few hundred meters.  Realistically deep disposal requires that you get at least far enough down that the rock you have put the stuff in is capable of plastic deformation/creep at a high enough rate that you don't need to worry about bentonite or concrete caps, because the rock itself flows around the waste.  Vitrification is still a good idea though. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2022 at 3:42 AM, nsdp said:

Ron, the reason we buy from China is because US business run by  stupid MBA's.A's worry about labor costs and not supply chain problems.  Coal and nuclear have two major strikes  besides CO2.  They exhaust a high Delta T into the atmosphere doubling down on heating the atmosphere and trapping heat. Any thermal device with cooling towers or ponds or dumping into a body of water is a major contributor to the heating problem.  Coal is wasteful of energy in transportation. Nuclear we don't know how to dispose of safely. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/402002/leaking-nuclear-waste-dome-marshalls-consider-legal-action Our wonderful ideas on how to do this fail with the passage of time.   Based on today's technology,  each site will need 3 successive storage/containers to to reach the 250 year mark where less stringent protective standards should apply. As demonstrated in the Marshalls and at Hanford, concrete(as we mix it today) does not withstand nuclear radiation by Alpha and Beta particles well.  the rebar fails first then the concrete mix.

You've got to be kidding if you think that direct heating by power station exhaust is a thing. (This is so obviously BS that they had to invent the bad bad "greenhouse effect" instead)

The closed nuclear cycle is here, with nothing to dispose of.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

That's for shallow disposal - a few hundred meters.  Realistically deep disposal requires that you get at least far enough down that the rock you have put the stuff in is capable of plastic deformation/creep at a high enough rate that you don't need to worry about bentonite or concrete caps, because the rock itself flows around the waste.  Vitrification is still a good idea though. 

There is no need to dispose of anything. The "tails" are good fuel. Just not uranium anymore.

14 hours ago, nsdp said:

Radioactive Waste Management

https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/nuclear-wastes/radioactive-waste-management.aspx

15 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

There is no need to dispose of anything. The "tails" are good fuel. Just not uranium anymore.

Some of it could be reprocessed for further use, but a lot of it is just 'hot' in the sense that it's not safe to be around, but not radioactive enough to actually be a useful fuel source.  In theory, you could try to 'capture' all that excess misc. stuff, but in reality, the amount of energy you would capture is pretty low for the effort, and at the end you would wind up with a bunch of misc radioactive elements of all sorts of odd things instead of easier to control and predict fuels.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Some of it could be reprocessed for further use, but a lot of it is just 'hot' in the sense that it's not safe to be around, but not radioactive enough to actually be a useful fuel source.  In theory, you could try to 'capture' all that excess misc. stuff, but in reality, the amount of energy you would capture is pretty low for the effort, and at the end you would wind up with a bunch of misc radioactive elements of all sorts of odd things instead of easier to control and predict fuels.  

The requisite reactor type is typically a breeder using MOX fuel. That is, anything less hot that U238 (aka depleted) is turned into more hot, like plutonium and U235. I thought that the difficult part is a small fraction of unknown radiative junk that is even hotter than Pu. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

for general discussion of reactors which produce more fissionable materials than they consume.

The Russians already have a serial design for a GenIV reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BREST_(reactor)

GenIV generally means closed fuel cycle, you use up all of it. They've also had operational fast breeders hooked into the grid since like 1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BN-600_reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BN-800_reactor

Don't think that goes into series production, because this is what they also use to make more plutonium for nukes.

Last, but not least, there is an alternate approach which allows you to use bog-standard VVR-series reactor, involving the so-called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix_Fuel

which basically means you give your fuel for reprocessing back to Rosatom indefinitely instead of having to bury it on your own.

All the new Rosatom plant contracts already come with used fuel takeback service, which has likely been a major selling point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

There are plenty of places in the Earth's crust that would be perfectly safe for nuclear waste disposal - off the top of my head, there are considerable portions of Australia, the Canadian Shield, the Baltic Craton, and large chunks of Africa which are/have been geologically stable for billions of years.  You don't have to get past/below them to get to a safe place - they already are safe places.  Just go down a few km, set it place, and you are done. 

My major objection to nuclear disposal is just leaving it laying around all over the United States and other countries. Not being deeply buried. Where have we ever deeply buried it?

10 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The requisite reactor type is typically a breeder using MOX fuel. That is, anything less hot that U238 (aka depleted) is turned into more hot, like plutonium and U235. I thought that the difficult part is a small fraction of unknown radiative junk that is even hotter than Pu. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

for general discussion of reactors which produce more fissionable materials than they consume.

The Russians already have a serial design for a GenIV reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BREST_(reactor)

GenIV generally means closed fuel cycle, you use up all of it. They've also had operational fast breeders hooked into the grid since like 1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BN-600_reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BN-800_reactor

Don't think that goes into series production, because this is what they also use to make more plutonium for nukes.

Last, but not least, there is an alternate approach which allows you to use bog-standard VVR-series reactor, involving the so-called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix_Fuel

which basically means you give your fuel for reprocessing back to Rosatom indefinitely instead of having to bury it on your own.

All the new Rosatom plant contracts already come with used fuel takeback service, which has likely been a major selling point.

So, why is the United States or other countries not doing it themselves?

8 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

My major objection to nuclear disposal is just leaving it laying around all over the United States and other countries. Not being deeply buried. Where have we ever deeply buried it?

Give it to the Russians?

• Haha 1