Tomasz

 What Russia has reached over three months diplomatic and military pressure on West ?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Look who is talking!

FMndNfhWYAkO8NQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Russia is doing no such thing. Note how besieged Ukrainian cites still have water, power and Internet.

It was a complement to their tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, notsonice said:

 

 

ha ha ha enjoy walking back to your motherland.... Yes the largest airline in Russia ...one way tickets to Siberia for anyone protesting.......Putin hates his own people. Try to book a ticket in Russia  to anywhere in Russia...ha ha ha 

smallest airline in the world today. Enjoy

Перейти на главную страницу

 

 

Site access blocked

due to a security policy violation. If you think this was done in error, please clear your cookies.

If the problem persists, contact Technical Support .

(Your IP: 67.162.152.18, Reference ID #0.2c0d3017.1645997250.1c002ee

BTW, US airspace is still open and Aeroflot is flying. This means Russian airspace still open to US carriers. US carriers also to benefit from the stupid Eurofags shooting themselves in a foot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, notsonice said:

Sweden is now aligned with the West 100 percent. Finland???? was a Soviet puppet state for years. And today Aligned with NATO. Hope Putin takes notice he is not making any friends with his Invasion of Ukraine...Most regard him now as a Terrorist. 

Finland was no puppet of the USSR, but profiteered mightily from running all kinds of Western sanctions.

Terrorism has a very clear legal definition, for which Ukraine and USA actually do qualify and Russia does not. See how far you can get on propaganda alone. Hint - declaring and waging a regular war ain't it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 2/28/2022 at 1:46 AM, TailingsPond said:

It was a complement to their tactics.

Huh? Whatever happened to the lowest according to Art of War? This is the lowest

FMXjrFPVkAEYI2f?format=jpg&name=small

(Belgrade burning after NATO bombing)

You, having no honor at all, always SPECIFICALLY concentrate on civilian infrastructure. It is easier than fighting militaries. The stories of using some gee-wiz precision weapons only flies with the home audience. In reality, it is too expensive for you. Good all carpet bombing is what you usually do.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russian's state owned information agency accidentally published an article that was meant to be posted on 26th in case of a win - except it wasn't a win. It was quickly taken down but not before being archived. Use google translate. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

I guess reuniting the Russian Empire really was a goal, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Huh? Whatever happened to the lowest according to Art of War? This is the lowest

FMXjrFPVkAEYI2f?format=jpg&name=small

(Belgrade bombing after NATO bombing)

You, having no honor at all, always SPECIFICALLY concentrate on civilian infrastructure. It is easier than fighting militaries. The stories of using some gee-wiz precision weapons only flies with the home audience. In reality, it is too expensive for you. Good all carpet bombing is what you usually do.

You missed the point again, probably due to language issues.

The art of war says it is a bad idea to attack cities if you want to win the war. It is a poor strategy.

 

FYI I'm Canadian.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 2/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, TailingsPond said:

You missed the point again, probably due to language issues.

The art of war says it is a bad idea to attack cities if you want to win the war. It is a poor strategy.

 

FYI I'm Canadian.

 

 

This is what I thought. Cities are not really attacked much in Ukraine yet. Or at least  not Baghdad or Belgrade-style massively. Did get you the submission you wanted?

Canada is NATO. Close enough.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 2/28/2022 at 3:04 AM, surrept33 said:

Russian's state owned information agency accidentally published an article that was meant to be posted on 26th in case of a win - except it wasn't a win. It was quickly taken down but not before being archived. Use google translate. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

I guess reuniting the Russian Empire really was a goal, huh?

Same explanation as with Reuters a few days before. They have a boilerplate article for every conceivable scenario?

I am all for Russian Empire redox. Greatest collective bargaining arrangement ever.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ukraine: Putin has already carried out war crimes - Boris Johnson

By Adam Durbin
BBC News

Boris Johnson has accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of committing war crimes in Ukraine.

At Prime Minister's Questions, he said bombing innocent civilians "already fully qualifies as a war crime".

He was responding to the Scottish National Party's Ian Blackford, who called for Mr Putin to be prosecuted.

Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelensky has already accused Russia of war crimes after air strikes on the country's second city, Kharkiv.

A week in to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, attacks on key cities have intensified, with fighting raging in the north, east and south.

On Tuesday, Boris Johnson described the tactics used by the Russian military under orders from Mr Putin as "barbaric and indiscriminate".

"With every passing hour, the world is witnessing the horrors of Putin's war in Ukraine," said the SNP's Westminster leader Mr Blackford. He called for Mr Putin to be prosecuted for the "full range" of war crime charges available.

Mr Johnson replied: "What we have seen already from Vladimir Putin's regime in the use of the munitions that they have already been dropping on innocent civilians, in my view, already fully qualifies as a war crime.

"I know that the ICC prosecutor is already investigating, and I am sure the whole House will support that."

On Monday, the office of the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said it would seek court approval to open an investigation into alleged war crimes in Ukraine.

Asked about Mr Johnson's remarks after PMQs, Downing Street said possible war crimes were occurring daily in Ukraine.

Mr Johnson's official spokesman agreed the Russian attack on the Babyn Yar holocaust memorial in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv and the targeting of apartment blocks constituted war crimes.

 

The spokesman said: "Obviously, formally it will be for a criminal court to make that ruling but I think no-one can be in any doubt that what we're seeing daily, almost hourly now, are horrific acts that would certainly appear to be war crimes."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Same explanation as with Reuters a few days before. They have a boilerplate article for every conceivable scenario?

I am all for Russian Empire redox. Greatest collective bargaining arrangement ever.

Then you should be out there on the front line leading your troops prepared to die for your beliefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 7:09 PM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Finland was no puppet of the USSR, but profiteered mightily from running all kinds of Western sanctions.

Terrorism has a very clear legal definition, for which Ukraine and USA actually do qualify and Russia does not. See how far you can get on propaganda alone. Hint - declaring and waging a regular war ain't it.

That was weird. The UN disagreed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nsdp said:

Then you should be out there on the front line leading your troops prepared to die for your beliefs./

Who will I lead without any military experience? Prepared to die, I actually am. Does it change anything? I have a different plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, notsonice said:

Ukraine: Putin has already carried out war crimes - Boris Johnson

By Adam Durbin
BBC News

Boris Johnson has accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of committing war crimes in Ukraine.

At Prime Minister's Questions, he said bombing innocent civilians "already fully qualifies as a war crime".

He was responding to the Scottish National Party's Ian Blackford, who called for Mr Putin to be prosecuted.

Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelensky has already accused Russia of war crimes after air strikes on the country's second city, Kharkiv.

A week in to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, attacks on key cities have intensified, with fighting raging in the north, east and south.

On Tuesday, Boris Johnson described the tactics used by the Russian military under orders from Mr Putin as "barbaric and indiscriminate".

"With every passing hour, the world is witnessing the horrors of Putin's war in Ukraine," said the SNP's Westminster leader Mr Blackford. He called for Mr Putin to be prosecuted for the "full range" of war crime charges available.

Mr Johnson replied: "What we have seen already from Vladimir Putin's regime in the use of the munitions that they have already been dropping on innocent civilians, in my view, already fully qualifies as a war crime.

"I know that the ICC prosecutor is already investigating, and I am sure the whole House will support that."

On Monday, the office of the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said it would seek court approval to open an investigation into alleged war crimes in Ukraine.

Asked about Mr Johnson's remarks after PMQs, Downing Street said possible war crimes were occurring daily in Ukraine.

Mr Johnson's official spokesman agreed the Russian attack on the Babyn Yar holocaust memorial in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv and the targeting of apartment blocks constituted war crimes.

 

The spokesman said: "Obviously, formally it will be for a criminal court to make that ruling but I think no-one can be in any doubt that what we're seeing daily, almost hourly now, are horrific acts that would certainly appear to be war crimes."

 

There were war crimes and indiscriminate bombings happening in Ukraine every day since 2014. Where was Johnson before? Where were you?

ICC is a plucky international organization fighting for a place under the sun. Russia, Ukraine and USA are not signatories to it. Moreover, does US have a law that says that it will invade Netherlands if the ICC ever dare to convict any member of US military of war crimes in absentia. Because guess who is the world champion of carpet bombing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Boat said:

That was weird. The UN disagreed?

The General Assembly is a talk shop with no power. There are multiple GA resolutions where absolutely all other countries voted against the US. Terrorism is when you pretend to be a civilian and attack other civilians behind the front lines. There have been multiple successful assassinations in LDNR. Including the assassination of popular elected leader of DNR, Zacharchenko. This is terrorism, The opposite is  not true. There are no assassinations or attacks on civilian infrastructure connected  to either Russia or LDNR anywhere in Ukraine. They tried, but it turned out to be turf wars between various Nazi goons every time.

The fact that LDNR are not recognized states changes nothing. They wear some kind of uniform and defend some kind of territory. This makes them regular combatants, not terrorists. This is why no country but Ukraine has them classified as terrorist organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losses of the Russian military in equipment and men during the war in Ukraine between February 24 and March 3, 2022

Troops* 9,000
Combat Armored Machines/APV 900
Automotive equipment 374
Tanks 217
Artillery systems 90
PMM tanks/fuel tanks 60
Grad systems 42
Helicopters 31
Aircraft 30
Anti-aircraft missle system BUK 11
Drones 3
Light speedboats 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

 I have a different plan.

No doubt involves you sitting tight in a safe comfortable western democracy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

Losses of the Russian military in equipment and men during the war in Ukraine between February 24 and March 3, 2022

Troops* 9,000
Combat Armored Machines/APV 900
Automotive equipment 374
Tanks 217
Artillery systems 90
PMM tanks/fuel tanks 60
Grad systems 42
Helicopters 31
Aircraft 30
Anti-aircraft missle system BUK 11
Drones 3
Light speedboats 2

In the game of Armored Warfare? This is a lot more than Russian figures for Ukrainian losses. So, Ukrainians are in the lead, right? How many Russian dead have you actually seen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

No doubt involves you sitting tight in a safe comfortable western democracy.

Yes. Same for yourself.

What exactly going to Russia does, remind me? No obvious way to go to the war zone if you mean that. Nothing goes there, everybody's trying to get out. This is why Bayraktar transports of yours will stick out like a sore thumb.

The Javelins have allegedly been just used to start a fire at the world's largest NPP at Energodar. Honestly, I cannot tell whether it was a Javelin, but some kind of RPG all right. If true, a useful propaganda chip for the good guys. Not that there is much hope for that. Real Kremlin propaganda fu is very weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.

sad Putin  leaves his own dead to rot on the side of the road

 

Russian Troop Deaths Expose a Potential Weakness of Putin’s Strategy

Videos and photos show the bodies of soldiers left behind on the battlefield, officials say, and the charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles

 

  •  

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.

 

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.Credit...Aleksey Nikolskyi/Sputnik, via Reuters

March 1, 2022
 
Sign up for the Russia-Ukraine War Briefing.  Every evening, we'll send you a summary of the day's biggest news. Get it sent to your inbox.

WASHINGTON — When Russia seized Crimea in 2014, President Vladimir V. Putin was so worried about Russian casualty figures coming to light that authorities accosted journalists who tried to cover funerals of some of the 400 troops killed during that one-month campaign.

But Moscow may be losing that many soldiers daily in Mr. Putin’s latest invasion of Ukraine, American and European officials said. The mounting toll for Russian troops exposes a potential weakness for the Russian president at a time when he is still claiming, publicly, that he is engaged only in a limited military operation in Ukraine’s separatist east.

No one can say with certainty just how many Russian troops have died since last Thursday, when they began what is turning into a long march to Kyiv, the capital. Some Russian units have put down their arms and refused to fight, the Pentagon said Tuesday. Major Ukrainian cities have withstood the onslaught thus far.

American officials had expected the northeastern city of Kharkiv to fall in a day, for example, but Ukrainian troops there have fought back and regained control despite furious rocket fire. The bodies of Russian soldiers have been left in areas surrounding Kharkiv. Videos and photos on social media show charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles, their crews dead or wounded.

 
 
 
The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.
Image
 
The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.Credit...Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

The Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, acknowledged on Sunday for the first time that “there are dead and wounded” Russian troops but offered no numbers. He insisted Ukrainian losses were “many times” higher. Ukraine has said its forces have killed more than 5,300 Russian troops.

 
  • Neither side’s claims have been independently verified, and Biden administration officials have refused to discuss casualty figures publicly. But one American official put the Russian losses as of Monday at 2,000, an estimate with which two European officials concurred.

Senior Pentagon officials told lawmakers in closed briefings on Monday that Russian and Ukrainian military deaths appeared to be the same, at around 1,500 on each side in the first five days, congressional officials said. But they cautioned that the figures — based on satellite imagery, communication intercepts, social media and on-the-ground media reports — were estimates.

For a comparison, nearly 2,500 American troops were killed in Afghanistan over 20 years of war.

For Mr. Putin, the rising death toll could damage any remaining domestic support for his Ukrainian endeavors. Russian memories are long — and mothers of soldiers, in particular, American officials say, could easily hark back to the 15,000 troops killed when the Soviet Union invaded and occupied Afghanistan, or the thousands killed in Chechnya.

American officials had expected the northeastern city of Kharkiv to fall in a day, for example, but Ukrainian troops there have fought back and regained control despite furious rocket fire. The bodies of Russian soldiers have been left in areas surrounding Kharkiv. Videos and photos on social media show charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles, their crews dead or wounded.

 
 

 

 

 

 
 
Edited by notsonice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.

sad Putin does leaves his own dead to rot on the side of the road

 

Russian Troop Deaths Expose a Potential Weakness of Putin’s Strategy

Videos and photos show the bodies of soldiers left behind on the battlefield, officials say, and the charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles

 

  •  

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.

 

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow last week. Rising military casualties in Ukraine could seriously erode support for Mr. Putin.Credit...Aleksey Nikolskyi/Sputnik, via Reuters

March 1, 2022
 
Sign up for the Russia-Ukraine War Briefing.  Every evening, we'll send you a summary of the day's biggest news. Get it sent to your inbox.

WASHINGTON — When Russia seized Crimea in 2014, President Vladimir V. Putin was so worried about Russian casualty figures coming to light that authorities accosted journalists who tried to cover funerals of some of the 400 troops killed during that one-month campaign.

But Moscow may be losing that many soldiers daily in Mr. Putin’s latest invasion of Ukraine, American and European officials said. The mounting toll for Russian troops exposes a potential weakness for the Russian president at a time when he is still claiming, publicly, that he is engaged only in a limited military operation in Ukraine’s separatist east.

No one can say with certainty just how many Russian troops have died since last Thursday, when they began what is turning into a long march to Kyiv, the capital. Some Russian units have put down their arms and refused to fight, the Pentagon said Tuesday. Major Ukrainian cities have withstood the onslaught thus far.

American officials had expected the northeastern city of Kharkiv to fall in a day, for example, but Ukrainian troops there have fought back and regained control despite furious rocket fire. The bodies of Russian soldiers have been left in areas surrounding Kharkiv. Videos and photos on social media show charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles, their crews dead or wounded.

 
 
 
The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.
Image
 
The body of a Russian soldier left on the side of a road in Kharkiv, Ukraine, last week. The Russian government admitted for the first time on Sunday that “there are dead and wounded” troops, but offered no numbers.Credit...Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

The Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, acknowledged on Sunday for the first time that “there are dead and wounded” Russian troops but offered no numbers. He insisted Ukrainian losses were “many times” higher. Ukraine has said its forces have killed more than 5,300 Russian troops.

 
  • Neither side’s claims have been independently verified, and Biden administration officials have refused to discuss casualty figures publicly. But one American official put the Russian losses as of Monday at 2,000, an estimate with which two European officials concurred.

Senior Pentagon officials told lawmakers in closed briefings on Monday that Russian and Ukrainian military deaths appeared to be the same, at around 1,500 on each side in the first five days, congressional officials said. But they cautioned that the figures — based on satellite imagery, communication intercepts, social media and on-the-ground media reports — were estimates.

For a comparison, nearly 2,500 American troops were killed in Afghanistan over 20 years of war.

For Mr. Putin, the rising death toll could damage any remaining domestic support for his Ukrainian endeavors. Russian memories are long — and mothers of soldiers, in particular, American officials say, could easily hark back to the 15,000 troops killed when the Soviet Union invaded and occupied Afghanistan, or the thousands killed in Chechnya.

American officials had expected the northeastern city of Kharkiv to fall in a day, for example, but Ukrainian troops there have fought back and regained control despite furious rocket fire. The bodies of Russian soldiers have been left in areas surrounding Kharkiv. Videos and photos on social media show charred remains of tanks and armored vehicles, their crews dead or wounded.

 
 

 

 

 

 
 

There was funeral coverage on RT.

Your picture is not very good. It is a non-specific dead body. I can't see if it was any kind of soldier at all. Now, check this out

https://nypost.com/2022/02/24/russia-has-mobile-crematoriums-that-evaporate-the-dead-report/

Or, if you prefer Brtish-tabloid level brainfuck

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1571620/mobile-crematorium-video-russia-war-ukraine-latest-vladimir-putin-vn

So, "Putin" either has no plan and simply leaves the overwhelming numbers of dead Russians behind. Or, he had a most devilish plot how to disappear them quick by means of mobile incinerator things. Both at the same time? Hmm...

You are witnessing the essential failure of the Nazi propaganda technique knows as the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

which stipulates that the more lies you tell, and the more preposterous the lies, the better they work. Because at  least some are going to stick. Unfortunately, in the presence of the Internet, which (allegedly) remembers everything, some lies end up meeting with some previous lies and mutually annihilate.

 

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 3/3/2022 at 4:52 AM, nsdp said:

Then you should be out there on the front line leading your troops prepared to die for your beliefs.

Being a Russian Imperialist is not the same as advocating war.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russia’s Looming Economic Collapse

This is terra incognita for economic policy. No country has ever faced this kind of global freeze-out.

People stand in line to withdraw money from an ATM in Moscow, Russia.
People stand in line to withdraw money from an Alfa Bank ATM in Moscow, Russia, on Sunday, February 27, 2022. Russians flocked to banks and ATMs shortly after Russia launched an attack on Ukraine and the West announced crippling sanctions. (Victor Berzkin / AP)
MARCH 2, 2022
SHARE

Sign up for Derek’s newsletter here.

The war in Ukraine is being fought on two battlefields. The first battlefield is geographic. It is the land Russia is tearing up with tank treads and pounding with missiles.

The second battlefield is made up not of physical particles, but rather of relationships—contracts and promises between nations, banks, companies, and individuals. This is the economic arena.

While Russia holds the military advantage over Ukraine on Battlefield One, it is getting destroyed by a Western alliance on Battlefield Two. In the past few days, the United States and several major European countries have declared a series of financial penalties and sanctions against Russia that are without modern precedent for a major economy. These policies are triggering a financial catastrophe in Russia.

Getting a proper grip on the second battlefield requires breaking down the news of the past several days into three categories: the global boycott of Russia, the economic crisis within Russia, and the worldwide ripple effects that we’re already starting to see.

A global boycott of the Russian economy

Over the weekend, the U.S. and many European countries announced their intention to cut off several Russian banks from the trading platform SWIFT—the Society for Worldwide Interbank Finance Telecommunication. This will prevent many Russian banks from trading at high volumes. The indirect effect is more important: A Russian bank that’s been kicked off SWIFT becomes an undesirable place to keep money.

The U.S. Treasury and the European Central Bank also announced that they would freeze Russia’s foreign reserves. What does that mean? The Russian central bank holds hundreds of billions of dollars that it can convert into rubles during a crisis to prop up the currency. By freezing the reserves held in Western banks, the U.S. and Europe are disarming Russia of its best weapon in the event of a currency crisis, essentially telling Russia: “Your assets are momentarily worthless. You don’t have $300 billion worth of assets. You have $0.

Companies are boycotting Russia too. BP and Shell have announced plans to exit their joint ventures in major Russian energy companies. Some countries are now refusing to do business with Russia entirely. Russia has also been banned from international soccer, hockey, and ice-skating events. These actions amount to the sudden cultural excision of an entire nation.

A looming economic collapse within Russia

Although its geopolitical strategy puts it at odds with the West, Russia is an integrated member of the global economy. Only 12 countries in the world have more total exports. Russia trades oil, gas, and coal to much of Europe and wheat to the Middle East and Africa. The sanctions imposed so far amount to a kind of siege of a country that depends on access to global markets.

This is terra incognita for economic policy. No country has ever faced this kind of global freeze-out. The implications are hard to predict, but several consequences are already apparent in the form of bank runs and long ATM lines. On Monday, the London stock listings of several Russian banks fell by more than 50 percent. The ruble is trading like a junk cryptocurrency, collapsing more than 30 percent on Monday, and as it weakens, the price of certain imports will rise sharply. Unemployment will soar unless the central bank steps in to print money in order to keep companies afloat, but this will almost certainly cause even worse inflation. To throttle the worst inflationary effects, the Russian central bank doubled its key interest rate to 20 percent; for perspective, that’s higher than the U.S. federal-funds rate has ever been. Businesses are nervous that SWIFT sanctions will shut down international credit-card accounts. In normal times, the worst effects of most depressions aren’t felt for months. This has all happened in the past 72 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, notsonice said:

Russia’s Looming Economic Collapse

This is terra incognita for economic policy. No country has ever faced this kind of global freeze-out.

People stand in line to withdraw money from an ATM in Moscow, Russia.
People stand in line to withdraw money from an Alfa Bank ATM in Moscow, Russia, on Sunday, February 27, 2022. Russians flocked to banks and ATMs shortly after Russia launched an attack on Ukraine and the West announced crippling sanctions. (Victor Berzkin / AP)
MARCH 2, 2022
SHARE

Sign up for Derek’s newsletter here.

The war in Ukraine is being fought on two battlefields. The first battlefield is geographic. It is the land Russia is tearing up with tank treads and pounding with missiles.

The second battlefield is made up not of physical particles, but rather of relationships—contracts and promises between nations, banks, companies, and individuals. This is the economic arena.

While Russia holds the military advantage over Ukraine on Battlefield One, it is getting destroyed by a Western alliance on Battlefield Two. In the past few days, the United States and several major European countries have declared a series of financial penalties and sanctions against Russia that are without modern precedent for a major economy. These policies are triggering a financial catastrophe in Russia.

Getting a proper grip on the second battlefield requires breaking down the news of the past several days into three categories: the global boycott of Russia, the economic crisis within Russia, and the worldwide ripple effects that we’re already starting to see.

A global boycott of the Russian economy

Over the weekend, the U.S. and many European countries announced their intention to cut off several Russian banks from the trading platform SWIFT—the Society for Worldwide Interbank Finance Telecommunication. This will prevent many Russian banks from trading at high volumes. The indirect effect is more important: A Russian bank that’s been kicked off SWIFT becomes an undesirable place to keep money.

The U.S. Treasury and the European Central Bank also announced that they would freeze Russia’s foreign reserves. What does that mean? The Russian central bank holds hundreds of billions of dollars that it can convert into rubles during a crisis to prop up the currency. By freezing the reserves held in Western banks, the U.S. and Europe are disarming Russia of its best weapon in the event of a currency crisis, essentially telling Russia: “Your assets are momentarily worthless. You don’t have $300 billion worth of assets. You have $0.

Companies are boycotting Russia too. BP and Shell have announced plans to exit their joint ventures in major Russian energy companies. Some countries are now refusing to do business with Russia entirely. Russia has also been banned from international soccer, hockey, and ice-skating events. These actions amount to the sudden cultural excision of an entire nation.

A looming economic collapse within Russia

Although its geopolitical strategy puts it at odds with the West, Russia is an integrated member of the global economy. Only 12 countries in the world have more total exports. Russia trades oil, gas, and coal to much of Europe and wheat to the Middle East and Africa. The sanctions imposed so far amount to a kind of siege of a country that depends on access to global markets.

This is terra incognita for economic policy. No country has ever faced this kind of global freeze-out. The implications are hard to predict, but several consequences are already apparent in the form of bank runs and long ATM lines. On Monday, the London stock listings of several Russian banks fell by more than 50 percent. The ruble is trading like a junk cryptocurrency, collapsing more than 30 percent on Monday, and as it weakens, the price of certain imports will rise sharply. Unemployment will soar unless the central bank steps in to print money in order to keep companies afloat, but this will almost certainly cause even worse inflation. To throttle the worst inflationary effects, the Russian central bank doubled its key interest rate to 20 percent; for perspective, that’s higher than the U.S. federal-funds rate has ever been. Businesses are nervous that SWIFT sanctions will shut down action credit-card accounts. In normal times, the worst effects of most depressions aren’t felt for months. This has all happened in the past 72 hours.

affect Venezuela and Cuba directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nsdp said:

affect Venezuela and Cuba directly.

for Cuba it hurts...Venezuela??? oil price is up they must be happy that they are getting twice the price for oil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.