BL

Putin wants Ukraine Natural Gas ? Water restarted to CRIMEA ?

(edited)

44 minutes ago, Boat said:

So your saying Hillary is pulling the strings and getting some payback? Lol

What's this Hillary crap.

You said Putin should be motivated to negotiate.  Putin wants to end this but he has to get something to save face.  Like it or not that's it.  He doesn't think like you or me. 

Two days ago Ukraine destroyed a Russian special forces unit.  Yesterday , Putin dropped cluster bombs indascrimanently dropped cluster bombs on the City of Kurkiv. 

It's going to get worse before it gets better. 

U.S. intelligence saying he's crazy. Right out of the old CIA playbook.

Let's say he is ..  . .  .  .  .

We have the two Nuch!ear Powers , One that's crazy and another with dementia and cognitive decline that doesn't know what day of the week it is or if he's currently a President or a Senator.  Scary.

Edited by bobo88
  • Upvote 1

Putin will do whatever he wants. Authoritarian leaders sacrifice there population for whatever they want on a regular basis. He is a little slow, confused and surprised but will come up with plan B, then C then D etc. This is how it works. Our government screwed up for a century for the most part. So don’t feel bad unless you wanted cheap stuff in Russia. I suspect purchasing power to be dropping. 
Babies in subways hiding from bombs is what got the response to Russian aggression. It doesn’t always work though. My use of babies dieing hasn't  stopped flaring. Authoritarian leaders typically don’t calculate sympathy for babies safety. That’s down the list of all the people they hate. 
Biden will milk this and no saving face for Putin. That’s the price for using Trump, meddling in world affairs, messing with elections, taking Crimea and basically being a thorn to world peace and prosperity. 

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, bobo88 said:

What's this Hillary crap.

You said Putin should be motivated to negotiate.  Putin wants to end this but he has to get something to save face.  Like it or not that's it.  He doesn't think like you or me. 

Two days ago Ukraine destroyed a Russian special forces unit.  Yesterday , Putin dropped cluster bombs indascrimanently dropped cluster bombs on the City of Kurkiv. 

It's going to get worse before it gets better. 

U.S. intelligence saying he's crazy. Right out of the old CIA playbook.

Let's say he is ..  . .  .  .  .

We have the two Nuch!ear Powers , One that's crazy and another with dementia and cognitive decline that doesn't know what day of the week it is or if he's currently a President or a Senator.  Scary.

The Hillary crap was a joke. The news is always crazy. Unless it’s loyal to Trump. A similar guy to Putin. Just ask them. They are fellow masterminds. Cut from the 1914/1940 cloth. 
I heard they threatened the space station. Said it had Russian engines. Is that right? Musk said he could handle that. Hearsay? Sigh, to much to read about. 

Edited by Boat

19 hours ago, Boat said:

Crimea seemed like such a small prize for the political capital spent. After the nat gas video you can see how that conflict and future conflicts get paid for. ………nat gas. The amount of nat gas in the Ukraine and Crimea is nation building amounts. And the prices should be robust for as long as demand is growing. That demand goes on for decades it appears. 

6 hours ago, Boat said:

Acquiring a deep water port at the point of a gun only works if those more powerful than you give the ok. I would say world opinion would be happy let the Ukraine have the Crimea back. I do think the underlying excuse for Russian aggression is nat gas and not a reunited USSR. As this war unfolds we’ll see the what happens. There is an old saying…..easy come, easy go. 

Do you have any credible data that Ukraine has considerable natural gas resources? I mean it has SOME natural gas, but it's not the sort of thing to fuel a conflict - I mean it can't even supply it's own demand.  Whoever is in charge of Ukraine has to import natural gas just to keep up with the status quo. 

• Like 1

Ninety percent of neon comes from Ukraine, which doesn't include that Ukraine is a big part of the EU's breadbasket.

At this point, with how badly the Russians are doing, be prepared for Putin to use low-yield nuclear weapons.

As far as Biden, that brain-dead fool is leading from behind!

(edited)

1 hour ago, RichieRich216 said:

Ninety percent of neon comes from Ukraine, which doesn't include that Ukraine is a big part of the EU's breadbasket.

At this point, with how badly the Russians are doing, be prepared for Putin to use low-yield nuclear weapons.

As far as Biden, that brain-dead fool is leading from behind!???? should the US send troops in Or should we go with Trumps thinking.....Just give the Ukraine to Russia and run like hell (it is what the bonespurred coward did in the 60's) Where is Trump today....still babbling that the election was stolen???? ha ha ha ha what a Moron.

Edited by notsonice

On 2/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, notsonice said:

Putin wants Nat gas....No Putin wants to recreate the USSR......Putin could care less about nat gas ...Only an idiot can not see this.

Thank God the people of Ukraine are standing up to him.......Only cowards will not defend their own country. Ukraine is not part of Russia. I hope the people of Ukraine hunt down each and every Russian that crossed into Ukraine and treat them as Terrorists. And to those that give aid and comfort to Putin they should be also treated the same.

Long live a free Ukraine, we all should support a Free Ukraine forever

I would be lenient on any soldier who surrendered and did not actually do any damage to Ukraine. There is a 50,000 ruble reward for those who surrender. Not much because they are rubles. 

18 hours ago, Boat said:

Acquiring a deep water port at the point of a gun only works if those more powerful than you give the ok. I would say world opinion would be happy let the Ukraine have the Crimea back. I do think the underlying excuse for Russian aggression is nat gas and not a reunited USSR. As this war unfolds we’ll see the what happens. There is an old saying…..easy come, easy go. 

Acquiring, sheesh. The port has been Russian for hundreds of years. It is a much deeper bond than one US has to Pearl Harbor.

• Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

I would be lenient on any soldier who surrendered and did not actually do any damage to Ukraine. There is a 50,000 ruble reward for those who surrender. Not much because they are rubles. 

What a load of croak. Ukrainians are surrendering for free.

10 hours ago, RichieRich216 said:

"Putin" is not doing badly at all. Your media should be careful with uncritically reprinting Ukrainian agitprop. Mostly, low quality fakes.

11 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Do you have any credible data that Ukraine has considerable natural gas resources? I mean it has SOME natural gas, but it's not the sort of thing to fuel a conflict - I mean it can't even supply it's own demand.  Whoever is in charge of Ukraine has to import natural gas just to keep up with the status quo. 

It is about 70% self-sufficient. Most of their patches are small and not worth the trouble. Ditto for the ones sorta offshore in Crimea. Russia closed them. The original source of Soviet European export gas was Ukraine and not Western Siberia, but those sources got depleted.

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I would think for the most part soldiers will obey Putin, like it or not. I doubt most will surrender. Really up to Putin to pull out, which I do not see him doing. Not going to end well for many Russian soldiers. Claim over 24 hours ago  is 5700 Russian soldiers dead so far. I real disaster for Putin. Losing at a rate of 40,000 dead a month........He has to change or he will run out of troops deployed fast.

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, bobo88 said:

Soybeans also.

At one time the CRIMEA had 400k hectares of farmland.  It's now down to between 20 to 30.

CRIMEA population has doubled since Russian annexation in 2014.

Water supply through dammed canal is of critical importance

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqq8clIceys 

Have you not heard about desalination plants?

Build some of those!

9 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

It is about 70% self-sufficient. Most of their patches are small and not worth the trouble. Ditto for the ones sorta offshore in Crimea. Russia closed them. The original source of Soviet European export gas was Ukraine and not Western Siberia, but those sources got depleted.

That matches up with my understanding of the situation too. Just wondering why there is a group running around claiming that Russia want's Ukraine for it's hydrocarbon resources - if there is ANY data behind that or if it's just random speculation.

3 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

That matches up with my understanding of the situation too. Just wondering why there is a group running around claiming that Russia want's Ukraine for it's hydrocarbon resources - if there is ANY data behind that or if it's just random speculation.

Ukrainian own estimates vary way widely.

Seems like they used to have some kind of national oil and gas research institute in like Kharkov, but haven't really checked on it since USSR. Now they did, and it appears to be broken. Cobwebs everywhere! They don't know how it works anymore.

Regardless of the authenticity of the cobweb story, my interpretation that there was always some kind of novel scheme of tapping the Russian pipe which was more profitable than doing actual exploration and drilling. Still is this way. The gas pipelines through Ukraine allegedly are pumping close to full capacity right now.

There are also very conflicting policies whether the industry subsidizes retail customers or visa-versa. The demand is split about 50:50. I think the spot market has been moving too fast for the usual framework of shell companies in Switzerland for everybody's kickbacks. Needs to adjust on the fly, too.

4 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Build some of those!

Not enough energy. They started to build a nuke, but stopped after Chernobyl, because the region was deemed to be seismically active. Disassembling the near-finished building just now.

Anyhow, water is back now. North Crimean Canal is back on. Still a very arid region.

(edited)

13 hours ago, notsonice said:

I would think for the most part soldiers will obey Putin, like it or not. I doubt most will surrender. Really up to Putin to pull out, which I do not see him doing. Not going to end well for many Russian soldiers. Claim over 24 hours ago  is 5700 Russian soldiers dead so far. I real disaster for Putin. Losing at a rate of 40,000 dead a month........He has to change or he will run out of troops deployed fast.

Those claims are sourced from Ukrainian MoD. Known source of complete noise. How many dead Russians have you actually seen? They publish everything they get (and then some. Have you seen the clip with one of the "Russian body bags" miraculously coming alive?)

Russian official numbers

https://www.rt.com/russia/551084-military-fatalities-in-ukraine/

Quality unknown,  never released those before.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

Russian rouble plunges to new low in Moscow as sanctions tighten

3 minute read
Illustration shows Russian Rouble coins are seen in front of displayed U.S. Dollar banknote

Russian Rouble coins are seen in front of displayed U.S. Dollar banknote in this illustration taken, February 24, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/Files

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

March 2 (Reuters) - The rouble plunged to a record low in Moscow on Wednesday of 110 to the dollar and the stock market remained closed as Russia's financial system staggered under the weight of Western sanctions imposed over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

The rouble fell 4.7% to 106.02 against the dollar in Moscow trade , earlier hitting 110.0, a record low. It has lost about a third of its value against the dollar since the start of the year.

It had shed 2.6% to finish the day at 115.40 to the euro .

"The rouble volatility remains extremely high which could be caused by instability of forex sales by exporters along with still increased levels of stress of market players and households in particular," Raiffeisen said in a note.

For the third day in a row, the rouble was weaker outside Russia, trading at 112 to the dollar on the EBS electronic trading platform, but still off an all-time low of 120 hit on Monday.

Russia has responded by doubling interest rates to 20% and telling companies to convert 80% of their foreign currency revenues on the domestic market as the central bank, or CBR, which is now under Western sanctions, has stopped foreign exchange interventions.

The weak rouble will hit living standards in Russia and fan already high inflation, while Western sanctions are expected to create shortages of essential goods and services such as cars or flights.

Many international companies have announced plans to exit Russia, while the country's credit ratings are coming under pressure as a result of the crisis.

Credit rating agency Moody's said: "The placement of Russia's sovereign ratings on review for downgrade was triggered by Russia's further military operation in Ukraine which started on 24 February 2022, and reflects the negative credit implications for Russia's credit profile from the additional and more severe sanctions being imposed."

JP Morgan said there was a deep recession in the making for Russia and the bank was re-assessing its regional macro forecasts.

"The most recent measures targeting the CBR have completely changed the picture," JP Morgan said.

"Russia's large current account surplus could have accommodated large capital outflows, but with accompanying CBR and SWIFT sanctions, on top of the existing restrictions, it is likely that Russia's export earnings will be disrupted, and capital outflows will likely be immediate."

Several Russian banks have been barred from the SWIFT global financial network that facilitates transfers between banks.

As households and businesses in Russia have rushed to convert the falling rouble into foreign currency, banks raised rates for foreign currency deposits.

Russia's largest lender Sberbank (SBER.MM) is offering to pay 4% on deposits of up to $1,000, while the largest private lender Alfa Bank is offering 8% on three-month dollar deposits. For rouble deposits, Sberbank offers a 20% annual return.

Sberbank said on Wednesday it was quitting almost all European markets, blaming big cash outflows and threats to its staff and property, after the ECB ordered the closure of its European arm. read more

Moscow calls its actions in Ukraine a "special operation" that it says is not designed to occupy territory but to destroy its southern neighbour's military capabilities and capture what it regards as dangerous nationalists.

The weak rouble will hit living standards in Russia and fan already high inflation, while Western sanctions are expected to create shortages of essential goods and services such as cars or flights. read more

• Great Response! 1

13 hours ago, notsonice said:

Ukraine has a large diaspora of foreign based Ukrainians around the world. They will be sending money to help Ukrainians in every way possible. Many countries will be donating arms, ammunition, food, and whatever is needed. Foreigners are also invited to join the war effort personally in Ukraine. It is a noble thing to do for any military able volunteer. 

The European Union, America, England, Australia, Canada and others will send money as it is needed. The donations will not end until the war is over. That means a great loss of money, armament, prestige, and power for Russia. The best thing for Russia is to get rid of Putin and make amends before too much damage is done and it is never forgiven. The longer this goes on, the worse for them and Ukraine. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, notsonice said:

Russian rouble plunges to new low in Moscow as sanctions tighten

3 minute read
Illustration shows Russian Rouble coins are seen in front of displayed U.S. Dollar banknote

Russian Rouble coins are seen in front of displayed U.S. Dollar banknote in this illustration taken, February 24, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/Files

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

March 2 (Reuters) - The rouble plunged to a record low in Moscow on Wednesday of 110 to the dollar and the stock market remained closed as Russia's financial system staggered under the weight of Western sanctions imposed over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

The rouble fell 4.7% to 106.02 against the dollar in Moscow trade , earlier hitting 110.0, a record low. It has lost about a third of its value against the dollar since the start of the year.

It had shed 2.6% to finish the day at 115.40 to the euro .

"The rouble volatility remains extremely high which could be caused by instability of forex sales by exporters along with still increased levels of stress of market players and households in particular," Raiffeisen said in a note.

For the third day in a row, the rouble was weaker outside Russia, trading at 112 to the dollar on the EBS electronic trading platform, but still off an all-time low of 120 hit on Monday.

Russia has responded by doubling interest rates to 20% and telling companies to convert 80% of their foreign currency revenues on the domestic market as the central bank, or CBR, which is now under Western sanctions, has stopped foreign exchange interventions.

The weak rouble will hit living standards in Russia and fan already high inflation, while Western sanctions are expected to create shortages of essential goods and services such as cars or flights.

Many international companies have announced plans to exit Russia, while the country's credit ratings are coming under pressure as a result of the crisis.

Credit rating agency Moody's said: "The placement of Russia's sovereign ratings on review for downgrade was triggered by Russia's further military operation in Ukraine which started on 24 February 2022, and reflects the negative credit implications for Russia's credit profile from the additional and more severe sanctions being imposed."

JP Morgan said there was a deep recession in the making for Russia and the bank was re-assessing its regional macro forecasts.

"The most recent measures targeting the CBR have completely changed the picture," JP Morgan said.

"Russia's large current account surplus could have accommodated large capital outflows, but with accompanying CBR and SWIFT sanctions, on top of the existing restrictions, it is likely that Russia's export earnings will be disrupted, and capital outflows will likely be immediate."

Several Russian banks have been barred from the SWIFT global financial network that facilitates transfers between banks.

As households and businesses in Russia have rushed to convert the falling rouble into foreign currency, banks raised rates for foreign currency deposits.

Russia's largest lender Sberbank (SBER.MM) is offering to pay 4% on deposits of up to $1,000, while the largest private lender Alfa Bank is offering 8% on three-month dollar deposits. For rouble deposits, Sberbank offers a 20% annual return.

Sberbank said on Wednesday it was quitting almost all European markets, blaming big cash outflows and threats to its staff and property, after the ECB ordered the closure of its European arm. read more

Moscow calls its actions in Ukraine a "special operation" that it says is not designed to occupy territory but to destroy its southern neighbour's military capabilities and capture what it regards as dangerous nationalists.

The weak rouble will hit living standards in Russia and fan already high inflation, while Western sanctions are expected to create shortages of essential goods and services such as cars or flights. read more

Almost exactly 1:100 now, or 1 cent.

9 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Ukraine has a large diaspora of foreign based Ukrainians around the world. They will be sending money to help Ukrainians in every way possible. Many countries will be donating arms, ammunition, food, and whatever is needed. Foreigners are also invited to join the war effort personally in Ukraine. It is a noble thing to do for any military able volunteer. 

The European Union, America, England, Australia, Canada and others will send money as it is needed. The donations will not end until the war is over. That means a great loss of money, armament, prestige, and power for Russia. The best thing for Russia is to get rid of Putin and make amends before too much damage is done and it is never forgiven. The longer this goes on, the worse for them and Ukraine. 

ATM networks are largely down in Ukraine. No way to pick up the donations of yours.

Russian Stocks Are Nearly Worthless as Ukraine Sanctions Bite

Updated March 2, 2022 5:29 pm ET / Original March 2, 2022 12:25 pm ET

The Barron's Dailyim-235245?width=619&height=413

Russian stocks traded in the global financial center of London have plunged in value. Above right, the London Stock Exchange.Simon Dawson/Bloomberg Some Russian companies have recently been valued at more than a $100 billion. Now, they are penny stocks.

The London market has doled out severe punishments on some of Russia’s largest businesses. Traders are dumping shares in response to tough new sanctions punishing Moscow for the invasion of Ukraine.

While Russia’s stock market has been closed for days by order of the country’s central bank, the dollar-denominated secondary listings of Russian companies in London are still trading. The destruction of market value is astonishing.

Shares in Sberbank (ticker: SBER.U.K.), Russia’s largest bank, have collapsed more than 99% since mid-February, when its stock traded at around $14. In Wednesday London trading, the shares bottomed out at 1 cent and notched an 85% one-day fall.

The bank, which recorded assets of more than $500 billion as of December, had a market capitalization of more than $102 billion six months ago, according to Dow Jones Market Data. It is now less than $190 million, based on a total extrapolated from the London listed-shares.

Similar action was seen across Russia’s energy behemoths.

Stock in the oil giant Rosneft (ROSN.U.K.) has crumbled 90% in the past two weeks to be worth less than a dollar, while Lukoil ’s (LKOD.U.K.) share price has crumbled some 99.7% over the same period. Lukoil stock touched 25 cents in late-afternoon London trading.

The two companies had a combined market capitalization of more than $140 billion as of September. Lukoil’s market cap stood at just $293 million by Wednesday with Rosneft’s at $9 billion.

The natural-gas powerhouses Gazprom (OGZD.U.K.) and Novatek (NVTK.U..K.) haven’t been spared. Gazprom stock is down as much as 99.8% since mid-February, touching 2 cents in London on Wednesday. Novatek shares, down a similar amount, ended around 60 cents in London.

Six months ago, the combined market value of these companies was $178 billion. Novatek’s had been reduced to $205 million by Wednesday, while Gazprom’s was $2.9 billion.

• Great Response! 1

On 3/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, Boat said:

What is world opinion? Opinion of Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Ghana, Chad, Sudan, Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria, India, China etc? Are you sure that they have the opinion that Crimea must be Ukrainian territory?

Secondly, Russia has huge amounts of Natural gas while Ukraine has only a small quantity of gas which is not worth much when compared to what Russia has.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, notsonice said:

Why would Ukranian soldiers not surrender? Most are forced to fight against their will. Why should they risk their lives to protect their political masters?

On 3/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Rob Plant said:

Build some of those!

Crimea has enough water for drinking and civil amenities. It is the water for industry and agriculture that is lacking. Potable and civic water typically is just 2-5% of total water consumption. Desalination plants are only helpful in areas which lack potable water. It is not even close to feasible to use desalination plants to make water for agriculture or industry. Crimea simply imports food from mainland Russia. The only problem with this is that Crimean population is losing out on economic opportunity and becoming impoverished. Russia is compensating that with aid using it proceeds from its net exports

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:54 AM, Eric Gagen said:

One article said a nat gas field in the Ukraine was the 14 th biggest find ever. She’ll and another west drilling co started to drill but was stopped by Russia taking Crimea. Do a Google. Apparently there is history there. That video Serupt33 claimed there was nat gas out the ass. I saw a graphic map with two fields in the Ukraine and several pools dotting the Black Sea. 

14 minutes ago, kshithij Sharma said:

What is world opinion? Opinion of Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Ghana, Chad, Sudan, Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria, India, China etc? Are you sure that they have the opinion that Crimea must be Ukrainian territory?

Secondly, Russia has huge amounts of Natural gas while Ukraine has only a small quantity of gas which is not worth much when compared to what Russia has.

Why would Ukranian soldiers not surrender? Most are forced to fight against their will. Why should they risk their lives to protect their political masters?

Crimea has enough water for drinking and civil amenities. It is the water for industry and agriculture that is lacking. Potable and civic water typically is just 2-5% of total water consumption. Desalination plants are only helpful in areas which lack potable water. It is not even close to feasible to use desalination plants to make water for agriculture or industry. Crimea simply imports food from mainland Russia. The only problem with this is that Crimean population is losing out on economic opportunity and becoming impoverished. Russia is compensating that with aid using it proceeds from its net exports

Don’t ask me those questions. Ask those in the Ukraine. Ukraines world neighbors with power besides Russia are Germany, England, Spain, Italy etc. I’m not sure but from what little I have read there are large amounts of nat gas in the Ukraine. 
Let me refresh your memory. The US exited WWII as the Alpha dog and the worlds only Super power. The US made a concerted effort to include all nations in trading goods and sharing resources. As a result the population has blown up and billions live a better life style. Your boy Putin thinks it’s pre WWII and he can kill for land. The west won’t let that happen. We’ll, I don’t think that will happen. 
I feel badly for the Russian people and the Ukraine people who just want to give their kids an opportunity for a better life.  Guys like Putin, N Korea, Iran, Syria, China etc have other agendas. Glad to see Europe get on board with these sanctions. Japan joined swift. We’ll get to see where every country comes down on unity fighting tyrants. 
If enough West countries band together and use trade as a leverage, we may just have that new world order.