Guillaume Albasini

U.S. Withdraws From U.N. Human Rights Council

After withdrawing from the Paris Agreement, the Iran deal, and the UNESCO the United States withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/united-states-withdraws-human-rights-council_us_5b292ba6e4b05d6c16c7efe6

Trump is getting the US out of the UNHRC and he is not very concerned by human rights as we can see with his new cruel and inhumane policy of separating migrant kids from parents.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2151400/effect-catastrophic-heres-what-happens-inside-child

Does he get some advise from his new friend Kim Jong Un on how to behave like a cruel dictator ? 

It's sad to see he has already decorated the walls of the White House with pics of his north korean buddy.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-photos-kim-jong-un-macronp-982436

Disgusting !

• Upvote 2

If you look at the list of countries that are currently members of the UN Human Rights Council, I wouldn't want to be in that group either, a big waste of time on my opinion, as far as "promoting" human rights: Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba, Venezuela, Rwanda, etc.

http://www.lan.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/Pages/CurrentMembers.aspx

Albania 2017
Bangladesh 2017
Belgium 2018
Bolivia (Plurinational State of) 2017
Botswana 2017
Brazil 2019
Burundi 2018
China 2019
Congo 2017
Côte d’Ivoire 2018
Croatia 2019
Cuba 2019
Ecuador 2018
Egypt 2019
El Salvador 2017
Ethiopia 2018
Georgia 2018
Germany 2018
Ghana 2017
Hungary 2019
India 2017
Indonesia 2017
Iraq 2019
Japan 2019
Kenya 2018
Kyrgyzstan 2018
Latvia 2017
Mongolia 2018
Netherlands 2017
Nigeria 2017
Panama 2018
Paraguay 2017
Philippines 2018
Portugal 2017
Qatar 2017
Republic of Korea 2018
Rwanda 2019
Saudi Arabia 2019
Slovenia 2018
South Africa 2019
Switzerland 2018
Togo 2018
Tunisia 2019
United Arab Emirates 2018
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2019
United States of America 2019
Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) 2018

Tom, If you want to promote human rights it's better to have in the room those who are most concerned.

If you only meet with states already respecting the human rights is it really helpfull ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guillaume, I'm not exactly a fan of the United Nations, so it may not be productive for me to comment further.

5 hours ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

Tom, If you want to promote human rights it's better to have in the room those who are most concerned.

If you only meet with states already respecting the human rights is it really helpfull ?

Actually, disregard my comment directly above.  After reading the biased Huffpo link, I feel a bit obliged to offer a counter-bias, for a better balanced view.

Especially since I get annoyed with U.S. MSM concerted scripted talking points. 

Huffpo is not exactly what I would call 'factual' media.  Please compare the Huffpo article with this article that more clearly states the reasons for the U.S. withdrawal:

US quits the UN’s Human Rights Council

The United States is withdrawing from the UN Human Rights Council, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said Tuesday, branding the global body a “cesspool of political bias.”

“We take this step because our commitment does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organization that makes a mockery of human rights,” she said at a press conference announcing the move.

The council, she added, has a “chronic bias against Israel.”

Haley said that if the council reforms, the United States “would be happy to rejoin.”

...US officials said earlier Tuesday that the administration had concluded that its efforts to promote reform on the council had failed, and that withdrawal was the only step it could take to demonstrate its seriousness. It was not immediately clear if the US would remain a non-voting observer on the council.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, appearing alongside Haley at the State Department, said there was no doubt that the council once had a “noble vision.”

But today we need to be honest,” Pompeo said. “The Human Rights Council is a poor defender of human rights.”

Haley and Pompeo stressed the decision had been made after a long year of efforts to shame the council into reform and to remove member states that themselves commit abuses.

“These reforms were needed in order to make the council a serious advocate for human rights,” Haley said. “For too long, the Human Rights Council has been a protector of human rights abusers, and a cesspool of political bias. Regrettably, it is now clear that our call for reform was not heeded.”

Oh, yes, I caught the "chronic bias against Israel" and I stopped listening. I understand this is a minefield but since there are plenty of Israelis who would laugh bitterly when told their country is an exemplary defender of human rights, I'll just go and mention it. There, I mentioned it.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of Israel, Marina.

I chose that article because it gives a more complete reasoning why the U.S. is pulling out of the UN Human Rights Council.  It was meant to be a counter to the Huffpo cherry picking.

12 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

If you look at the list of countries that are currently members of the UN Human Rights Council, I wouldn't want to be in that group either, a big waste of time on my opinion, as far as "promoting" human rights: Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba, Venezuela, Rwanda, etc.

http://www.lan.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/Pages/CurrentMembers.aspx

Albania 2017
Bangladesh 2017
Belgium 2018
Bolivia (Plurinational State of) 2017
Botswana 2017
Brazil 2019
Burundi 2018
China 2019
Congo 2017
Côte d’Ivoire 2018
Croatia 2019
Cuba 2019
Ecuador 2018
Egypt 2019
El Salvador 2017
Ethiopia 2018
Georgia 2018
Germany 2018
Ghana 2017
Hungary 2019
India 2017
Indonesia 2017
Iraq 2019
Japan 2019
Kenya 2018
Kyrgyzstan 2018
Latvia 2017
Mongolia 2018
Netherlands 2017
Nigeria 2017
Panama 2018
Paraguay 2017
Philippines 2018
Portugal 2017
Qatar 2017
Republic of Korea 2018
Rwanda 2019
Saudi Arabia 2019
Slovenia 2018
South Africa 2019
Switzerland 2018
Togo 2018
Tunisia 2019
United Arab Emirates 2018
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2019
United States of America 2019
Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) 2018

[Hurl].

Saudi Arabia, you say? 

flogingsaudi.jpg

Venezuela?

Image result for Venezuela human rights abuse

China?

image.jpeg.a5cc8fb711abcdf00d84937cb2d3919e.jpeg'

What a joke.

• Like 1

The point really isn't whether the UN is relevant or not, or whether we like how it deals with human rights issues. The issue here is the timing and reason for withdrawing, which is precisely because everyone's coming down on Trump for treating children inhumanely. It is truly unsatisfying to be an American at this point. I get the point that this is to serve as a deterrent for illegal immigration. So were children used as human shields to be a deterrent to U.S. air strikes in various countries. There are some things you just don't do. 

What about the photos taken in 2014 during a media tour of an Obama-era detention facilities in Brownsville, Texas, and Nogales, Arizona?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TraderTate said:

which is precisely because everyone's coming down on Trump for treating children inhumanely.

Flashback: Both Hillary And Obama Advocated Separating Migrant Families, Strict Border Control

While the left rages against "separated migrant children" which they blame on President Trump's "zero tolerance" enforcement policy of Bush-era rules, several "inconvenient" video clips have cropped up revealing both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama advocating virtually the same border policy they are currently attacking Trump over. 

For example, Hillary Clinton said during a 2014 CNN Town Hall; 

"We have to send a clear message, just because your child gets across the border - doesn't mean your child gets to stay

Such virtuous signaling could only be outdone by this clip of Obama:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1008928564836749312

And let's not gloss over the fact that Obama separated migrant families, while taking criticism for encouraging migration while ignoring the growing crisis at the border.

'How many precious lives must be needlessly lost, women raped, girls forced into sex trafficking or people trapped into the drug trade before the Obama administration stops luring them here with continued grants of amnesty, legal status, work permits, and benefits?' asked Rep. Louie Gohmert. -Daily Mail (2014)

But wait - rolling the calendar back to 1995 when Bill Clinton promised to crack down on illegal immigration, we have the following quote:

"In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace. We are a nation of immgrants, but we are also a nation of laws." 

/ Note: videos are in the link above. See especially the Obama short video here:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1008928564836749312

6 hours ago, HermitMunster said:

What about the photos taken in 2014 during a media tour of an Obama-era detention facilities in Brownsville, Texas, and Nogales, Arizona?

Yep.

HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF OBAMA’S ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT DETENTION FACILITIES THE MEDIA WON’T SHOW YOU

• Upvote 1

Lets just say the US is lone leader in number of prisoners per 100.000 population and has bad very high gini ind. 

Although it is a wealthy country I wouldnt like to  live in USA if I was poor Afroamerican or Mexican.

4 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Lets just say the US is lone leader in number of prisoners per 100.000 population and has bad very high gini ind. 

Although it is a wealthy country I wouldnt like to  live in USA if I was poor Afroamerican or Mexican.

Well good news for you. In America, you don't have to be poor.