ronwagn

Russia lays claim to vast areas of Arctic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/04/russia-lays-claim-to-vast-areas-of-arctic-seabed

This article is more than 6 years old  So what. RCW

Foreign ministry says it has submitted bid to UN for more than 463,000 sq miles of sea shelf as competition for oil and gas resources heats up

Similar to China's dotted line that they made up. RCW

Russia’s claim stretches more than 350 nautical miles offshoreRussia’s territorial claim stretches more than 350 nautical miles offshore in the Arctic Ocean. Photograph: Justin Hofman/Barcroft Media

Russia has submitted a bid to the UN claiming vast territories in the Arctic, the country’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

The ministry said in a statement that Russia is claiming 1.2m sq km (over 463,000 sq miles) of sea shelf extending more than 350 nautical miles (about 650km) from the shore.

Russia, the US, Canada, Denmark and Norway have all been trying to assert jurisdiction over parts of the Arctic, which is believed to hold up to a quarter of the planet’s undiscovered oil and gas. Rivalry for resources has intensified as shrinking polar ice is opening up new exploration opportunities.

Russia was the first to submit a claim in 2002, but the UN sent it back for lack of evidence.

The ministry said the resubmitted bid contains new arguments. “Ample scientific data collected in years of Arctic research are used to back the Russian claim,” it said.

Russia expects the UN commission on the limits of the continental shelf to start looking at its bid in the autumn, the ministry said.

Vladimir Chuprov, campaigner for Greenpeace Russia, said: “The melting of the Arctic ice is uncovering a new and vulnerable sea, but countries like Russia and Norway want to turn it into the next Saudi Arabia. Unless we act together, this region could be dotted with oil wells and fishing fleets within our lifetimes.”

In 2007, Moscow staked a symbolic claim to the Arctic seabed by dropping a canister containing the Russian flag on to the ocean floor from a small submarine at the north pole.

The Russian flag planted on the Arctic Ocean seabed in 2007The Russian flag planted on the Arctic Ocean seabed in 2007. Photograph: Associated Press

Amid tensions with the west over Ukraine, the Kremlin has moved to beef up Russian military forces in the Arctic. The effort has included the restoration of a Soviet-era base on the New Siberian Islands and other military outposts in the region. Russian officials said the facilities are needed to protect shipping routes that link Europe with the Pacific region across the Arctic Ocean.

Earlier this year, the military conducted sweeping manoeuvres in the Arctic that involved 38,000 servicemen, more than 50 ships and submarines, and 110 aircraft. As part of the drills, the military demonstrated its capability to quickly build up its forces on the Novaya Zemlya and Franz Josef Land archipelagos.

• Upvote 1

I own a few planets. I would go but housing isn’t available. That and I would need a Waffle  House for breakfast. 

• Haha 1

My best smile of the day. Maybe my last one today. I am fixated on Ukraine. 

7 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

My best smile of the day. Maybe my last one today. I am fixated on Ukraine. 

NATO to feed fighter jets to Ukraine. I didn’t see that coming. Response to Putin calling sanctions an act of war? Europe seems to be growing a backbone. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Yep. I just heard about it an hour ago. Do you or anyone know their capabilities and numbers versus the Russian jets?

If necessary they could be used to close ports to the south and Russian ships and blow up the new bridge to Crimea. More antiaircraft systems are also needed. We need to be in it to win it with Ukraine. It should be the West's primary goal until Russia is kicked out of Ukraine. 

Ukraine should close the land route from Eastern Ukraine to Crimea, which is still in play. 

Edited by ronwagn

It seems drones from Turkey have been successful. But yea, Whatever works. I heard 16,000 mercenaries have joined Ukraine. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Boat said:

NATO to feed fighter jets to Ukraine. I didn’t see that coming. Response to Putin calling sanctions an act of war? Europe seems to be growing a backbone. 

Do you have a news item on that?

• Like 1

(edited)

Dw.com youtube

So Poland is the country willing to risk war with Russia by giving its aircraft to the Ukraine. The US and others would replace the planes given. Apparently Ukraine pilots can fly the jets suggested.  

News that big will be covered by most. We’ll know if it’s true soon enough.

Edited by Boat

On 3/6/2022 at 4:31 AM, ronwagn said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/04/russia-lays-claim-to-vast-areas-of-arctic-seabed

This article is more than 6 years old  So what. RCW

Foreign ministry says it has submitted bid to UN for more than 463,000 sq miles of sea shelf as competition for oil and gas resources heats up

Similar to China's dotted line that they made up. RCW

Russia’s claim stretches more than 350 nautical miles offshoreRussia’s territorial claim stretches more than 350 nautical miles offshore in the Arctic Ocean. Photograph: Justin Hofman/Barcroft Media

Russia has submitted a bid to the UN claiming vast territories in the Arctic, the country’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

The ministry said in a statement that Russia is claiming 1.2m sq km (over 463,000 sq miles) of sea shelf extending more than 350 nautical miles (about 650km) from the shore.

Russia, the US, Canada, Denmark and Norway have all been trying to assert jurisdiction over parts of the Arctic, which is believed to hold up to a quarter of the planet’s undiscovered oil and gas. Rivalry for resources has intensified as shrinking polar ice is opening up new exploration opportunities.

Russia was the first to submit a claim in 2002, but the UN sent it back for lack of evidence.

The ministry said the resubmitted bid contains new arguments. “Ample scientific data collected in years of Arctic research are used to back the Russian claim,” it said.

Russia expects the UN commission on the limits of the continental shelf to start looking at its bid in the autumn, the ministry said.

Vladimir Chuprov, campaigner for Greenpeace Russia, said: “The melting of the Arctic ice is uncovering a new and vulnerable sea, but countries like Russia and Norway want to turn it into the next Saudi Arabia. Unless we act together, this region could be dotted with oil wells and fishing fleets within our lifetimes.”

In 2007, Moscow staked a symbolic claim to the Arctic seabed by dropping a canister containing the Russian flag on to the ocean floor from a small submarine at the north pole.

The Russian flag planted on the Arctic Ocean seabed in 2007The Russian flag planted on the Arctic Ocean seabed in 2007. Photograph: Associated Press

Amid tensions with the west over Ukraine, the Kremlin has moved to beef up Russian military forces in the Arctic. The effort has included the restoration of a Soviet-era base on the New Siberian Islands and other military outposts in the region. Russian officials said the facilities are needed to protect shipping routes that link Europe with the Pacific region across the Arctic Ocean.

Earlier this year, the military conducted sweeping manoeuvres in the Arctic that involved 38,000 servicemen, more than 50 ships and submarines, and 110 aircraft. As part of the drills, the military demonstrated its capability to quickly build up its forces on the Novaya Zemlya and Franz Josef Land archipelagos.

This is a non-event. All the Arctic countries filed a similar claim. (Claiming that some part of the Arctic seabed is a natural continuation of a state's part of continental plate) There is an exceptional provision in UNCLOS for extension of EEZ they are trying to exploit. On purely technical grounds, it is probably true for Russia and Denmark (because Greenland is a part of North American plate)

19 hours ago, Boat said:

Dw.com youtube

So Poland is the country willing to risk war with Russia by giving its aircraft to the Ukraine. The US and others would replace the planes given. Apparently Ukraine pilots can fly the jets suggested.  

News that big will be covered by most. We’ll know if it’s true soon enough.

Poland already denied this

Russia is the operator of the world's biggest fleet of major icebreakers and its monopoly has gone unnoticed as it has been opening the Arctic corridor known as the Polar Silk Road.  As the U.S. moves away from any oil and gas exploration, even in its own backyard in Alaska, China joins with Russia in their strategic visions in the Arctic.  China's nuclear icebreaker Xuelong 2, returns next month from its maiden voyage in the Arctic, as it joint into a partnership with Russia in building a full out military complex and continuing massive energy development across the Peninsulas in the Arctic as construction to dredge deeper shipping lanes occurs for multiple LNG ports.  The greenies look away from the Russia/China joint venture in the Arctic which is an essential ecosystem we depend on.  And, no matter how much Joe Biden, John Kerry, AOC and the rest of the green machine in Washington decry that the U.S. stop producing oil, natural gas, coal and nuclear, in their climate change hysteria, they ignore the most destructive operation which is and has been occurring in the Arctic.  

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, JoMack said:

The greenies look away from the Russia/China joint venture in the Arctic which is an essential ecosystem we depend on.  And, no matter how much Joe Biden, John Kerry, AOC and the rest of the green machine in Washington decry that the U.S. stop producing oil, natural gas, coal and nuclear, in their climate change hysteria, they ignore the most destructive operation which is and has been occurring in the Arctic.  

What did the Republicans do about it? Trump opened ANWR so the U.S. could get in on the Arctic destruction.

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

What did the Republicans do about it? Trump opened ANWR so the U.S. could get in on the Arctic destruction.

The McKinsey deflection running amok, as always.  If it ain't about toxic batteries planted far and wide across the fruited plains, you gotta be a radical Trump supporter when you prefer exploration for oil and gas in the U.S.  The area open in ANWR and has been designated for development has been in the works for over 20 years.  It's been EPA'd, ESA'd, and now ESG'd to death and as pointed out by Alaska  - The State of Alaska, the Inuit people, and the Federal government will substantially benefit from increased tax revenues. The Inuit people and the State of Alaska both favor drilling.

The fact that the word "wildlife" is in the ANWR name does not mean there is a substantial wildlife population. The US also has National Forests that have no trees. ANWR is barren tundra with few life forms. There is negligible danger to the environment.

There is a significant difference between Russia and China's Modus Operandi when it comes to anything remotely related to their exploration and development of resources in any prudent manner, as it is here in the U.S., when, that is, we are able to drill.  

• Great Response! 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, Boat said:

It seems drones from Turkey have been successful. But yea, Whatever works. I heard 16,000 mercenaries have joined Ukraine. 

The drones are working well. I don't know how well but they seem to have destroyed a fair amount of armored personnel carriers, tanks, and missile launchers. More are being purchased from Turkey and it is said that Ukraine could build their own. I doubt it unless they could get the microchips they need though. Tough with their cities being under attack too. We will probably pay for all they need to destroy the Russian war.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ron Wagner said:

The drones are working well. I don't know how well but they seem to have destroyed a fair amount of armored personnel carriers, tanks, and missile launchers. More are being purchased from Turkey and it is said that Ukraine could build their own. I doubt it unless they could get the microchips they need though. Tough with their cities being under attack too. We will probably pay for all they need to destroy the Russian war.

The hand held missile launchers have been very successful. I have been preaching for years technology has made ground attacks obsolete along with navy’s, tanks, helicopters etc. Modern war is missiles, drones and fighter jets that can shoot from long range using missiles. Putin didn’t listen to me. Hire Musk for drone and hyper missile factories and leave ground troops out of it. War infrastructure is to slow as demonstrated in Iraq and the Ukraine. 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

I get called a greenie but no drilling near populations makes better sense than in the wilderness. Please drill ANWR in exchange for no flaring and no drilling near kids and grand parents. 

(edited)

On 3/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Poland already denied this

Apparently your YouTube has different information. Poland wanted the Ukraine to have the Russian fighter jets. If they got US jets in exchange. The US said no. Why? No clue. I think it’s a great idea to shoot down Russian fighter jets. Or better yet, go home and take out Putin before your country totally collapses. That would save Russia some jets and their country.

Edited by Boat