Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

11 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Like a broken record because i keep telling you the truth of reality, not your gibberish.

We have absolutely shown you that they don't have enough oil and gas to make a difference. 2 years of untapped oil and 1.3 years of natural gas with no hydrates.

Synthetic natural gas and oil is super expensive and what Nazi Germany had to rely on you idiot and they lost. But I guess you are too dumb to know that.

Sounds like Germany is screwed. And to think they themselves destroyed their own energy  infrastructure strictly for the illusion of Green Energy. 

And now the world has to pay the price for their I'll guided malfeasance? I think not.

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, NickW said:

Noise and vibration in an offshore context is completely irrelevant 

Bird kill is minimal and hyped by the anti brigade. 

In UK nuisance / amenity law & caselaw there is no right to a view. 

I really think that there are many in the UK that disagree with you and in every other locality. All factors need to be considered IMHO. 

6 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

It’s not closed versus open mind / it’s knowing how to do physics and read a map.  The geology and hydrologic conditions undersea in the Baltic won’t allow for methane hydrates to form, so they don’t have them, even though a bunch of other places do.  

OK, I agree with that, I interpreted your statement as ruling out methane hydrates as not worth considering as a whole. I know you are brilliant at what you do and know. I appreciate that.

7 minutes ago, Ron Wagner said:

I really think that there are many in the UK that disagree with you and in every other locality. All factors need to be considered IMHO. 

There is always some opposition just as there is to natural gas developments

However opinion polls invariably show majority support for onshore and offshore wind turbines in the UK 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

You may be surprised to know that the Aussie dollar is quite weak right now despite the record prices we are receiving for our commodity exports. We have a massive current account surplus but the RBA has signalled that interest rates will not be rising nearly as fast as in the USA. So 33k pounds is about $55k Aussie and it is still possible to get a new Suzuki Jimny for half that price. A proper 4WD that is capable of going almost anywhere but still runs on the smell of an oily rag :)

Horses for Courses. I wouldn't go EV / PHEV if planning on going for a walkabout. 

At the same point if I were living around Perth again I wouldn't want to be driving around in a farm vehicle (Jimny) 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NickW said:

Noise and vibration in an offshore context is completely irrelevant 

Not always, whales etc. are disrupted by it.  Mostly by whale tourism boats chasing them, but it is documented that they don't like a lot of noise. 

2 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

OK, I agree with that, I interpreted your statement as ruling out methane hydrates as not worth considering as a whole. I know you are brilliant at what you do and know. I appreciate that.

not at all - I don't know if methane hydrates will get worked up on a large scale or not (way to early to tell on the technologies and competitive technologies) I just know Germany won't get any without paying to buy it from someone else. 

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Sounds like Germany is screwed. And to think they themselves destroyed their own energy  infrastructure strictly for the illusion of Green Energy. 

And now the world has to pay the price for their I'll guided malfeasance? I think not.

They didn't really destroy their energy infrastructure as it was that they ran out of fuel for it.  Up to about 2000 AD or so Germany ran on coal.  Full stop. Nothing else.  A small amount of oil was imported for motor vehicles, and a few other things (nuclear, hydro, natural gas, etc) tinkering on the edges.  Then they ran out of extractable coal, and they had nothing to fall back on.  Compare and contrast with the UK, and France, both of which were in the same boat at one time, and transitioned to something else in a far more organized fashion (UK to domestic natural gas, then domestic wind, France to nuclear power) which has been a huge benefit to them both.  Sure, it's not pleasant for them dealing with this whole mess, but they have options - fallback electric generation plans, rationalized distribution schemes, temporary subsidies for the needy, etc.  Germany is just in trouble, because they don't have enough independently powered generating capacity to make do with the sort of shortfall they are going to have. 

Edited by Eric Gagen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RichieRich216 said:

at the end of the day if you want a decent EV you’re going to drop at least $75,000. on it. 

or not

image.thumb.png.183678c6e1162c1960dcc3adc017f565.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TailingsPond said:

Not always, whales etc. are disrupted by it.  Mostly by whale tourism boats chasing them, but it is documented that they don't like a lot of noise. 

Whales (particularly larger ones) generally don't come into the shallow waters that wind farms are based in.  I don't believe there is much vibration / noise  from the structures. They certainly aren't particularly noisy when you sail though one of the biggest wind farms in the world from first hand experience. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

not at all - I don't know if methane hydrates will get worked up on a large scale or not (way to early to tell on the technologies and competitive technologies) I just know Germany won't get any without paying to buy it from someone else. 

4 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

They didn't really destroy their energy infrastructure as it was that they ran out of fuel for it.  Up to about 2000 AD or so Germany ran on coal.  Full stop. Nothing else.  A small amount of oil was imported for motor vehicles, and a few other things (nuclear, hydro, natural gas, etc) tinkering on the edges.  Then they ran out of extractable coal, and they had nothing to fall back on.  Compare and contrast with the UK, and France, both of which were in the same boat at one time, and transitioned to something else in a far more organized fashion (UK to domestic natural gas, then domestic wind, France to nuclear power) which has been a huge benefit to them both.  Sure, it's not pleasant for them dealing with this whole mess, but they have options - fallback electric generation plans, rationalized distribution schemes, temporary subsidies for the needy, etc.  Germany is just in trouble, because they don't have enough independently powered generating capacity to make do with the sort of shortfall they are going to have. 

Germany made big mistakes but they can probably afford to out bid any other country for large amounts of oil, gas, renewables etc. At the same time they need to increase their defense spending though. It will be a hardship for several years but well worth energy independence, from Russia,  in the long run. 

4 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/germany-california-nuclear-power-climate/620888/

In American eyes, Merkel’s reputation has benefited from the comparison with Donald Trump, who singled her out as the democratic leader he disliked most. American journalists even touted her as the true leader of the free world, to jab at an American president who had abdicated that role. There is much to appreciate about her reticent style of leadership. But history may judge that, on one of the most consequential issues of her chancellorship, Merkel not only led from behind; she led in the wrong direction. And unfortunately for the world, Americans seem determined to follow Merkel’s path.

• Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

The Energy Mix

U.S. Sees Drop in Gas-Fired Power Production

Natural gas-fired power generation in the United States peaked in 2020, and it will continue to fall as it competes with increasingly affordable wind and solar capacity, according to analysts who say renewables’ growth is being “supercharged” by rising fossil fuel costs and disruptions in energy security.

“The transition has just started,” Dennis Wamsted, energy analyst with the Institute for Energy Economics and Finance (IEEFA), told Utility Dive.

“We do believe that the takeoff is right now.”

Renewable energy could comprise 33% or more of the U.S. power market by 2026, finds the IEEFA, amending a 30% projection from just last year that analysts now believe was “on the low end” of possible growth. Combined with existing nuclear generation, the share of carbon-free electricity could be pushed well above 50%—“a massive transition from just five years ago,” IEEFA writes in its most recent U.S. power sector report.

“The soaring cost of fossil fuels and unexpected disruptions in energy security are now supercharging what was already a torrid pace of growth in solar, wind, and battery storage projects,” write the analysts.

Concerns about methane emissions from gas production and distribution also led to a decline in gas use, they add.

A report by the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) echoes IEEFA’s assessment, projecting that U.S. wind and solar farms will grow to 22% of the U.S. power sector this year and 23% in 2023, while gas-fired generation falls to 35% this year and next.

“Although new natural gas-fired power generating units are scheduled to come online in 2022, they are likely to be run at lower utilization rates than in recent years,” the EIA said. The agency expects the rise of renewable energy production will also push coal-fired generation down to 21% next year, from 23% in 2021 and 2022.

• Upvote 1

What are supplying the charging stations with the power to charge these low budget future cheap Chinese cars?

20 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

or not

image.thumb.png.183678c6e1162c1960dcc3adc017f565.png

That price does not include a home charge station, if in U.S. a electrical permit must be pulled, if You are sticking with a 120-volt charger that amounts to no more than a trickle charge.

If you are going to go with 220 volts your costs jump Dramatically. Additionally, the price you provided did not include the delivery charge; tax and title fees.

(edited)

52 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

That price does not include a home charge station, if in U.S. a electrical permit must be pulled, if You are sticking with a 120-volt charger that amounts to no more than a trickle charge.

If you are going to go with 220 volts your costs jump Dramatically. Additionally, the price you provided did not include the delivery charge; tax and title fees.

The vast majority of houses have 220 ready to go. The charging station is a few hundred dollars.

You are pathetic. Delivery, tax and title are the same as for ICE. Tax and title depend on your state and delivery is $1500. Still way below your $75K.

And the Model 3 is way more than the "decent EV" that you specified.

Here is a "decent EV" (with the new and improved fire safe battery)

image.thumb.png.af89a53afd45446090986333b6e0d5da.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The vast majority of houses have 220 ready to go. The charging station is a few hundred dollars.

Hmmm Low Ball Larry?

https://homeguide.com/costs/electric-car-charging-stations-cost#installation

HOME EV CHARGING STATION COST
National Average Cost $1,200
Minimum Cost $400
Maximum Cost $5,000
Average Range $750 to $2,600

homeguide-electrician-costs-to-install-home-ev-charger.jpg

4 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Hmmm Low Ball Larry?

https://homeguide.com/costs/electric-car-charging-stations-cost#installation

HOME EV CHARGING STATION COST
National Average Cost $1,200
Minimum Cost $400
Maximum Cost $5,000
Average Range $750 to $2,600

homeguide-electrician-costs-to-install-home-ev-charger.jpg

The average cost from your article still keeps the total cost way under $75K and will be paid for with fuel savings in less than a year. However many, many homes have a 220 dryer outlet already in their garage. Most home chargers have a version that plugs right into it. No electrician needed.

(edited)

3 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The average cost from your article still keeps the total cost way under $75K and will be paid for with fuel savings in less than a year. However many, many homes have a 220 dryer outlet already in their garage. Most home chargers have a version that plugs right into it. No electrician needed.

This is your charging station?

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-RUL630PR-100-L6-30-Extension-100-Feet/dp/B074MNLD6R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=91324281257&gclid=CjwKCAjwjZmTBhB4EiwAynRmD_Xjv5ib2GtjY1rF1qOkuqIvlCwf5teD5MDe430BYeNKZFPow3G8UhoCJtwQAvD_BwE&hvadid=580830382529&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9032828&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8846164948334215272&hvtargid=kwd-342795292026&hydadcr=6238_13192630&keywords=220v+extension+cord+100ft&qid=1650910368&sr=8-3

51Wlhi4yCrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

8 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

This is your charging station?

51Wlhi4yCrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No, that looks like some kind of extension cord.

image.png.6f3f21604d496b2456aef52b814b3b4a.pngha

A popular non tesla charger

image.thumb.png.ebd97df4fc5b3fdbda89da1c178672cd.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey

6 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

No, that looks like some kind of extension cord.

image.png.6f3f21604d496b2456aef52b814b3b4a.pngha

A popular non tesla charger

image.thumb.png.ebd97df4fc5b3fdbda89da1c178672cd.png

LMAO Jay your truly a phenomenon...

What Makes EV Charging in Apartments So Difficult Anyway?

Power Isn't Plentiful

The single biggest issue is one that almost all of us can plainly see, our parking spaces and garages were never designed to power our vehicles. As such access to power in most buildings, let alone apartments and condos, is limited, making it an expensive proposition to install more than one or two chargers.

Everyone Has An Opinion

One of the most overlooked aspects in all of this is also the most obvious. Apartments and condos are a community and as such resources are shared whether you realize it or not. Water, gas, and yes even electricity needs to be divided fairly. Working through issues requires property managers, HOAs, residence boards or oftentimes all three have to sit down and come to an agreement

https://evercharge.com/blog/what-makes-ev-charging-in-apartments-so-difficult-anyway/

• Upvote 1

(edited)

14 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Power Isn't Plentiful

The single biggest issue is one that almost all of us can plainly see, our parking spaces and garages were never designed to power our vehicles. As such access to power in most buildings, let alone apartments and condos, is limited, making it an expensive proposition to install more than one or two chargers.

Everyone Has An Opinion

One of the most overlooked aspects in all of this is also the most obvious. Apartments and condos are a community and as such resources are shared whether you realize it or not. Water, gas, and yes even electricity needs to be divided fairly. Working through issues requires property managers, HOAs, residence boards or oftentimes all three have to sit down and come to an agreement

https://evercharge.com/blog/what-makes-ev-charging-in-apartments-so-difficult-anyway/

Of course that is from a company talking up how much of a pain it is because they sell an affordable solution. You posted marketing copy. You are a pathetic phenomenon.

Problem solved:

That's why EverCharge offers a full managed service, so from permitting all the way to installation and on-going service, support and maintenance we handle everything. Making the process easy and affordable.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

22 hours ago, NickW said:

Whales (particularly larger ones) generally don't come into the shallow waters that wind farms are based in.  I don't believe there is much vibration / noise  from the structures. They certainly aren't particularly noisy when you sail though one of the biggest wind farms in the world from first hand experience. 

Not exactly right.  Whales go where the food is regardless of depth.  From shoreline to deep water.  Especially true of Orca/humpback.  For giving birth all of them almost always pick shallow water where it is warmer and calmer from giant blue whales to dolphins. What whales are doing this in the north sea?  I do not know, but I doubt any, as it is not warm, and not calm with an immense amount of shipping traffic.  Maybe 1000 years ago in select areas.  So, feeding only at most.  Wind turbine blades have pressure waves off their tips(stand under one and you know what I am talking about; and water transfers that "boom" readily.  THE question of course is, do whales actually care about that pressure wave from the tip of WT blades?  No one has a clue and the larger turbines, the boom is less apparent than the medium sized due to height above water etc.

38 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Power Isn't Plentiful

Everyone Has An Opinion

It is far worse than that.  There is no "agreement" to come to.  With the sharing, the size capacity of the cable is economized and SHRUNK compared to a single home.  A single apartment will have a main ~70 amp service at most.  A single EV car is going to demand, at slow charging rate, a dedicated 30 amp connection and many of them are going to DUAL 30amp or 40 amp chargers and if you have 2 cars?  God forbid one goes on vacation all at the same day and comes home on the same day and everyones neighbors charges at night at the same time... Nothing happens like that at say.... CHRISTMAS or any other holiday now does it?  Oh yea, and the greenies wish to eliminate the natural gas heating everyone uses too.  That by itself is another dedicated 40amps for heat.  Not done yet, NG water heater has to be converted and that is going to be another 30amp dedicated circuit.   Now in an apartment complex, they might go with zone distributed heating instead and could lower total electrical load. 

End result: 100% of every condo/apartment electrical main distribution etc must be replaced wholesale for EV's even before we talk about elimination of NG.  This is a gargantuan cost as this infrastructure went in first underground.  It also means all the power lines TO the apartment are too small as well along with the transformer etc.  I'll let you figure out that bill.  Ah, do not forget the tax and permit fees. 

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

It is far worse than that.  There is no "agreement" to come to.  With the sharing, the size capacity of the cable is economized and SHRUNK compared to a single home.  A single apartment will have a main ~70 amp service at most.  A single EV car is going to demand, at slow charging rate, a dedicated 30 amp connection and many of them are going to DUAL 30amp or 40 amp chargers and if you have 2 cars?  God forbid one goes on vacation all at the same day and comes home on the same day and everyones neighbors charges at night at the same time... Nothing happens like that at say.... CHRISTMAS or any other holiday now does it?  Oh yea, and the greenies wish to eliminate the natural gas heating everyone uses too.  That by itself is another dedicated 40amps for heat.  Not done yet, NG water heater has to be converted and that is going to be another 30amp dedicated circuit.   Now in an apartment complex, they might go with zone distributed heating instead and could lower total electrical load. 

End result: 100% of every condo/apartment electrical main distribution etc must be replaced wholesale for EV's even before we talk about elimination of NG.  This is a gargantuan cost as this infrastructure went in first underground.  It also means all the power lines TO the apartment are too small as well along with the transformer etc.  I'll let you figure out that bill.  Ah, do not forget the tax and permit fees. 

Frankly the entire Green Energy platform is coming to light. 

Rebuild a nation's grid to support it.

Supplement battery infrastructure to establish reliability.

Rewire a nation's commercial/ residential properties to consume it.

Meanwhile the world is on the Cuspid of world war 3.   " Hey Buddy Got A Dime" I need a charge.

Coming To a theater near You!

Edited by Eyes Wide Open