Ron Wagner

How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy

Recommended Posts

On 9/2/2022 at 4:23 AM, notsonice said:

 

the death of coal one solar panel at a time..........................

 

cropped-new-electrek-logo.png

 

Exclusive: U.S. blocks more than 1,000 solar shipments over Chinese slave labor concerns

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/exclusive-us-blocks-more-than-1000-solar-shipments-over-chinese-slave-labor-2022-11-11/

I'm curious, what is the energy output of unconnected solar panels stacked in shipping containers or warehouses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, Michael Sanches said:

Exclusive: U.S. blocks more than 1,000 solar shipments over Chinese slave labor concerns

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/exclusive-us-blocks-more-than-1000-solar-shipments-over-chinese-slave-labor-2022-11-11/

I'm curious, what is the energy output of unconnected solar panels stacked in shipping containers or warehouses?

About as much as a wagon load of coal on transit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Thank you for proving you do not know what a measurement of POWER is.  So glad you are commenting. 

Here is an actual list of power requirements per 1kg of material refined: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/what-is-the-embodied-energy-of-materials.html

Apparently you do not know what 1m^2 of solar pulls in during its lifetime either...  Its not 6000(units you need help)

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DNI.jpg

If solar were so amazing as you claim and others do, then Chile and Australia would be FLOODED by aluminum smelters and covering untold kilometers with solar panels where everyone would be banging down their doors to help fund them. 

6000kWh - check, typo. 

A 400 Wp solar panel generates between 300-650 kWh per year. [energy production ratio between 0.8 (Scotland) and 1.6 (California)], if orientated well. With a lifetime of 10-20 years, that will give you approx 6000kWh per year. (range 3000-12000 kWh).

According to a 2013 study (see below), solar panels range between 300-2000 kWh per m2, with a median value of 585kWh. This will be better now.

Dale, M.; et al. (2013). "Energy balance of the global photovoltaic (PV) industry -- is the PV industry a net electricity producer?. In". Environmental Science and Technology. 47 (7): 3482–3489. Bibcode:2013EnST...47.3482D. doi:10.1021/es3038824. PMID 23441588.

Solar is amazing. India is covering untold km^2 with solar as we speak. So does Europe. But we don't have the storage yet, so that is the next point of contention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

If solar were so amazing as you claim and others do, then Chile and Australia would be FLOODED by aluminum smelters and covering untold kilometers with solar panels where everyone would be banging down their doors to help fund them. 

Well there is this:-

China plans huge wind and solar power rollout in Gobi desert

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/03/09/china-plans-huge-wind-and-solar-power-rollout-in-gobi-desert/

450GW by 2030 is an enormously large solar/wind farm!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2022 at 8:20 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

So there must be a lot of cartels and gangs out there making big bucks from protection money not to slash your tires. 

You can sell charging cords, even if just for the metal. Stealing copper and other supplies from unoccupied buildings and construction sites is a big problem.

And, yes, stealing hubcaps and catalytic converters IS a big problem. My niece had the catalytic converter on her prius stolen twice, so far. All my hubcaps are gone. Street parking and apartment lot parking sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

8 minutes ago, Michael Sanches said:

You can sell charging cords, even if just for the metal. Stealing copper and other supplies from unoccupied buildings and construction sites is a big problem.

And, yes, stealing hubcaps and catalytic converters IS a big problem. My niece had the catalytic converter on her prius stolen twice, so far. All my hubcaps are gone. Street parking and apartment lot parking sucks.

You have a car with hubcaps???? Catalytic converters have precious metals in them and stealing charger cables has already proven itself to be a minor issue. 

Theft prevention is easy. It is simple to incorporate a theft detection circuit in each cable that when cut sounds the alarm. That alarm can be audible siren from a cheap speaker in the station, flashing lights, video capture, alert police. This easily keeps theft to little more than a minor annoyance.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, Michael Sanches said:

Actually, Germany is bulldozing down wind turbines to expand a coal plant. Was this action on the charts and economic models?

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/wind-farm-in-germany-is-being-dismantled-to-expand-coal-mine/

Or, are these models just one person's wet dream that doesn't embrace reality?

Small 20 year old turbines which can be redeployed elsewhere. There is a healthy market for second hand turbines in Europe - they often get redeployed to industrial estates / dockside locations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Michael Sanches said:

You can sell charging cords, even if just for the metal. Stealing copper and other supplies from unoccupied buildings and construction sites is a big problem.

And, yes, stealing hubcaps and catalytic converters IS a big problem. My niece had the catalytic converter on her prius stolen twice, so far. All my hubcaps are gone. Street parking and apartment lot parking sucks.

Who the hell steals EV charging cables???

When they are charging you cant remove them unless you unlock the car! Who wants to cut through a cable whilst its pumping electricity through it? the cable is about 10ft long so not much to steal in the first place. Much easier to steal copper from a building site!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

6000kWh - check, typo. 

A 400 Wp solar panel generates between 300-650 kWh per year. [energy production ratio between 0.8 (Scotland) and 1.6 (California)], if orientated well. With a lifetime of 10-20 years, that will give you approx 6000kWh per year. (range 3000-12000 kWh).

According to a 2013 study (see below), solar panels range between 300-2000 kWh per m2, with a median value of 585kWh. This will be better now.

Dale, M.; et al. (2013). "Energy balance of the global photovoltaic (PV) industry -- is the PV industry a net electricity producer?. In". Environmental Science and Technology. 47 (7): 3482–3489. Bibcode:2013EnST...47.3482D. doi:10.1021/es3038824. PMID 23441588.

Solar is amazing. India is covering untold km^2 with solar as we speak. So does Europe. But we don't have the storage yet, so that is the next point of contention.

Those panels will last 30-40 years 

This is a great site for calculating output at specific sites for different panel orientations and panel angles. 

JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Thank you for proving you do not know what a measurement of POWER is.  So glad you are commenting. 

Here is an actual list of power requirements per 1kg of material refined: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/what-is-the-embodied-energy-of-materials.html

Apparently you do not know what 1m^2 of solar pulls in during its lifetime either...  Its not 6000(units you need help)

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DNI.jpg

If solar were so amazing as you claim and others do, then Chile and Australia would be FLOODED by aluminum smelters and covering untold kilometers with solar panels where everyone would be banging down their doors to help fund them. 

Not trying to brag that i am up to the trend......... Bought a solar lamp that could be used to light the house, charge handphone and stuff recently… In addition, there is a plug in for electricity, just in case.........

So excited.......... for 1/2 a day..............

One whole day of charging under hot sun did not provide sufficient energy to fully charge the battery. Since it left one bar of battery, out of three, to be charged, I connected it to electricity for further charging......... To my dismay, it took more than 4- 5 hours to charge the last bar of battery to fullness........ Upon connected to handphone, it worked.............. for 1/2 hour............... the charges won't transfer further beyond that............. 'o'  'n' 

So much of being trendy............ >.<   +.+

image.png.3d8bd320e461b81c0b8586dbe37a6df5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

You have a car with hubcaps????

Theft prevention is easy. It is simple to incorporate a theft detection circuit in each cable that when cut sounds the alarm. That alarm can be audible siren from a cheap speaker in the station, flashing lights, video capture, alert police. This easily keeps theft to little more than a minor annoyance.

"You have a car with hubcaps????"

Not anymore. (Although, I do have one in the trunk.)

So what if a siren sounds? It is a misdemeanor and people are immediately released. There is no punishment for these type of crimes. Many people leave their car doors unlocked with big notes saying. "Nothing of value here to be stolen." This helps prevent car windows from being broken.

You cannot set your program in an ideal fantasy world. Well, you can. But, the rest of us live in the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Michael Sanches said:

"You have a car with hubcaps????"

Not anymore. (Although, I do have one in the trunk.)

So what if a siren sounds? It is a misdemeanor and people are immediately released. There is no punishment for these type of crimes. Many people leave their car doors unlocked with big notes saying. "Nothing of value here to be stolen." This helps prevent car windows from being broken.

You cannot set your program in an ideal fantasy world. Well, you can. But, the rest of us live in the real world.

Well do let us know when it becomes a problem. As of now stealing charging cables is not a thing of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 11/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, Michael Sanches said:

Exclusive: U.S. blocks more than 1,000 solar shipments over Chinese slave labor concerns

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/exclusive-us-blocks-more-than-1000-solar-shipments-over-chinese-slave-labor-2022-11-11/

I'm curious, what is the energy output of unconnected solar panels stacked in shipping containers or warehouses?

The death of coal one solar panel at a time........Thanks to Sleepy Joe

Highlights.....the Inflation Reduction Act have served as a catalyst for our solar manufacturing ambitions in the US, ushering in a new era of made-in-America energy..

 

and 

 in the US, .... annual US solar PV installations are projected to grow from 16 GW in 2022 to 41 GW by the end of 2025, according to the SEIA and Wood Mackenzie.

 

 

electrek podcast

https://electrek.co/2022/11/17/enel-solar-factory-us/

Enel is going to build one of the largest solar panel and cell factories in the US

b2390be790ce625b95e69e27b1a32fe1?s=30&d=identicon&r=gMichelle Lewis | Nov 17 2022 — 11:28 am PT
Enel solar factory

Enel North America, through its affiliate 3Sun USA, today announced that it will build one of the largest solar PV factories in the US. Initially, it’s expected to produce at least 3 gigawatts (GW) and scale up to 6 GW of high-performance bifacial PV modules and cells annually. This facility will be among the first in the US to produce solar cells, a vital part of the supply chain.

UnderstandSolar is a free service that links you to top-rated solar installers in your region for personalized solar estimates. Tesla now offers price matching, so it’s important to shop for the best quotes. Click here to learn more and get your quotes. — *ad.


The company’s CEO, Enrico Viale, cited the recent Biden administration legislation passed in August for the reason for its decision:

Recent policy tailwinds from the Inflation Reduction Act have served as a catalyst for our solar manufacturing ambitions in the US, ushering in a new era of made-in-America energy.

Construction of Enel’s factory is expected to begin in the first half of 2023.

Electrek asked Enel where the factory would be located, and Giovanni Bertolino, head of 3Sun USA, Enel, replied:

Enel is currently evaluating prospective sites for the facility, taking into consideration factors like land availability, the presence of a skilled workforce, connections to transportation networks, and tax and incentive structures. We plan to make a final site selection by the end of 2022 and anticipate the facility would start production at partial capacity by the end of 2024, with full capacity in 2025.

Up to 1,500 new jobs will be created as a result of this manufacturing push. It will also boost the US solar PV supply chain by adding to its domestic solar cell and panel manufacturing capacity.

Enel will leverage its expertise and experience from its 3Sun gigafactory in Catania, Italy, which Enel says is expected to become Europe’s largest factory that produces high-performance bifacial PV modules. Enel intends to replicate the gigafactory in the US to produce bifacial heterojunction PV cells that capture more sunlight, as the cells respond to light on both the front and rear surfaces.

Fewer than five large-scale solar module manufacturing facilities (over 1 GW) are currently operating in the US, while annual US solar PV installations are projected to grow from 16 GW in 2022 to 41 GW by the end of 2025, according to the SEIA and Wood Mackenzie.

Edited by notsonice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, Michael Sanches said:

"You have a car with hubcaps????"

Not anymore. (Although, I do have one in the trunk.)

So what if a siren sounds? It is a misdemeanor and people are immediately released. There is no punishment for these type of crimes. Many people leave their car doors unlocked with big notes saying. "Nothing of value here to be stolen." This helps prevent car windows from being broken.

You cannot set your program in an ideal fantasy world. Well, you can. But, the rest of us live in the real world.

Some of us do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Britain’s exposed position in the north-east Atlantic makes it one of the best locations in the world for wind power, and the shallow waters of the North Sea host several of the world’s largest offshore wind farms.

New wind power records are set regularly, and between 12:00pm and 12:30pm on 2nd November 2022 British wind farms averaged a record 20.90GW of generation.

Power Date first achieved
20GW 2nd November 2022

Thats 2/3 of all electricity generation needed in the UK.

Emissions /kWh have fallen from 505g in 2012 to 182g in 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Currently Beijing is building over 50% of the world’s new coal-powered electricity plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2022 at 12:04 AM, Michael Sanches said:

More trouble in paradise:

America's Electric Grid Can't Support The EV Revolution

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/Americas-Electric-Grid-Cant-Support-The-EV-Revolution.html

Wow, big surprise. More power demand needs expansion of electric grid. Who had thought that? 

If you read further, the grid needs to be expanded by (at most) 15% in 2040. That's a 0.8% expansion per year. Daunting!!

  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.