Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodent

Barclay's Bearish on Oil in 2018

Bullish or Bearish?   6 members have voted

1. 1. What is the phrase that best describes your oil outlook for 2018?

• I'm a bear, through and through.
    • Bullish--that's how I roll.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Barclays and Citigroup are bearish on oil in 2018.Meanwhile, Goldman and JP Morgan bullish, along with OPEC. 

What are your 2018 predictions?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have yet to see Barclays make an accurate forecast about anything and Goldman analysts are fond of changing their opinions every week, so I wouldn't trust either of them. Can I be penguinish on oil in 2018?

• Upvote 5

I voted bear, but would have liked a third option because I'm more indifferent right now. Definitely not feeling very bullish. It's pretty unexciting. WTI seems to be stuck at $56-$58, and Brent is just hovering around $61-$64 for the month. It's higher than it was, but nothing to get excited about yet. Shale will curb that. 

• Upvote 1

I'm bullish, but I don't see a 'raging' bull necessarily. I think I'm bullish on some US oil and gas stocks that even a small upswing in prices coupled with a lot of hard work on cost-cutting, efficiency and more clever usage of EOR are going to put in the black in 2018. I see some nicely improving balance sheets and production spreads, so after years, there are some US stocks I'd put my money in. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2017 at 4:32 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

I have yet to see Barclays make an accurate forecast about anything and Goldman analysts are fond of changing their opinions every week, so I wouldn't trust either of them. Can I be penguinish on oil in 2018?

Can I be 'penguinish' too? Also nauseatingly tired of Goldman's flip-flopping and headline hogging. But I do see the point of @Carlsbad . Stocks are looking better and it has less to do with prices and the OPEC deal that it has to do with North American efficiency and innovation. Adapting is what they do very well. 

• Upvote 1

Just don't see the bullishness in this game. Don't see a Russia/OPEC exit mid-next year as Goldman does (or as its headlines do, at any rate). And the EIA has upped its production forecast for 2018 to over 10 million b/d.

That's almost 9% more than this year--a record. North American innovation aside, this is too much to make me bullish.