jj

EU Leaders Reach Migration Deal

European leaders have hashed out a deal on migration that should satisfy the Italian government's hardline approach and stave off a potential collapse of Angela Merkel's coalition in Germany. The decision, announced Friday morning, was greeted positively by non-governmental groups focused on migration, including the UN's International Organization of Migration, which said it was "very pleased at the solidarity and consensus" that emerged overnight. But some in Europe cautioned the agreement achieved the bare minimum for reasons of political expediency and did little to solve long-term challenges, including an unequal sharing of migration's burdens among European nations that has bedeviled the bloc in recent years.

This is good try, but it will let traffickers to continue bringing people to Europe through the Mediterranean sea in unsafe transport. People arriving is the one that can pay for transport, not the one more at risk in home countries. I agree, it is a big victory for frau Merkel....

It's obvious that EU citizens aren't prepared to continually support immigration financially. Immigrants must be deterred from coming by providing hope/assistance in their own countries. In same time, without deal like this, right-wing parties across the EU are stronger and stronger...From bad to worst.... 

I wonder who helped create this problem... EU help smugglers(where is the proactive approach of all these years) ripping huge profits from poor Africans! EU allowed them to thrive. And  now when people can obliterate your party in next election finally you acknowledged that this is wrong way. Italy new gov’t forced all of EU...too late.

Unfortunately, we again see a typical EU, waiting for a crisis before acting, stop acting when crisis abates

The migration crisis needs to be treated at source. Only rapid implementation  of the sustainable development goals will create a world that is fair to all. Without that migration will become an ever bigger problem. And, don't forget when we are talking about this issue it would be nice to shows more solidarity, more empathy....

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2018 at 11:19 PM, damirUSBiH said:

This is good try, but it will let traffickers to continue bringing people to Europe through the Mediterranean sea in unsafe transport. People arriving is the one that can pay for transport, not the one more at risk in home countries. I agree, it is a big victory for frau Merkel....

On LinkedIn I received some messages from a Syrian "refugee" from Schlumberger who escaped to France, and has obtained legal refugee status.

According to the message sent to me:

"because of racism, hard to find job in france"

and due to this French racism, has asked me to arrange a work permit for this "refugee" to move from France to Malaysia, since Malaysia is the only other country this "refugee" can travel to without a visa.

I politely declined.  Anyone granted "refugee" status in Malaysia by the government is not allowed to also receive a work permit.