AV

Tesla Hits Model 3 Manufacturing Milestone

Tesla has done it. This company reached 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week, several  hours after the midnight goal. They also achieved the S & X production target for a combined 7000 vehicle week.  I have to be honest, I didn't expect them to actually make these goals. 

• Like 1

And they also asked their Model 3 reservation holders to pay an additional $2,500 to convert their booking into an order, which I find rather amusing.

• Like 1

I'm sure its not amusing to their buyers. First you had to pay 1000 dollars to reserve it, and now 2500 to actually order it,  and you have no delivery date on when you get your car. They said they have 450,000 pre-orders with 5,000 cars a week. That means looking for almost 2 years to clear the backlog if they continue with target of 5,000 per week. 

• Like 1

We’ll see how quality control plays out with this aggressive push for expanding production. Also those production workers had to have been working mandatory nonstop. Let’s see them get and sustain those numbers with a reasonable production schedule and Musk not hovering on the production floor. Are they able to make it profitably  as they said they will this quarter? Important stuff will come out in October’s Q3 results. 

• Like 1

Serious doubts we'll see profit in Q3. Maybe Q4. Too much deficit to turn around from so quickly. If they can, that would be very impressive. 

• Like 1

How will this affect the actual price paid for the vehicle versus the original expected price?

Curious how long until Tesla goes belly-up bankrupt.  And I'm not joking, actually.  Tesla's cash burn is astounding.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Curious how long until Tesla goes belly-up bankrupt.  And I'm not joking, actually.  Tesla's cash burn is astounding.

Tom, Tesla is a cult religion.  There are no fundamentals to support it, and the accounting is fantasyland.  What Tesla reminds me of is the Channel Tunnel Company, formed to build the Chunnel  (which never turned a profit, at least in the first years).  There was a reported conversation between two Frenchmen on buying shares in the Chunnel Co. One said he was hesitant, saw it as impending doom.  The other rebuked his chum, saying:  "This Tunnel is a matter of national pride.  You have a solemn and sacred duty to support the nation by buying shares."  

Well, OK, if you insist on making investment decisions based on non-financial criteria, such as "national pride," then don't be surprised that the shares retain value in the face of astounding losses. those "national pride" guys have Tesla Mania in their bloodstream and are going to keep throwing money at Musk.  And he will continue to take their hard cash, handing them a pretty slip of paper called a stock share as a receipt.  

Will Tesla go under?  But of course. 

Edited by Jan van Eck

Tesla is not a usual carmaker. It's more like a high-tech Silicon Valley company.  Google, Amazon or Facebook have been burning huge amounts of money for years but were still growing. If the investors think the company will end up turning huge benefits in the future they can wait through some difficult years. Tesla has half a million customers waiting to buy the Model 3.

Bankrupcy is in view when your you produce more cars than the number of customers ready to buy one. Not the opposite.

Tesla has a lot of fans waiting for their cars and don't care how much they have to wait for it because  they just want Tesla. We are talking about people who are sharing Musk's vision. And it is not just about car. Whatever his personal qualities, Musk has  been the driving force behind solar, electric cars, battery technology, and autonomous driving recently.