Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodent

Greenpeace Crashes Drone Into Nuclear Power Plant

Greenpeace trying to expose weakness in nuclear power plants by proving it is vulnerable to a terrorist attack. INDEED.

"The activists told AFP that the drone struck 'a storage pool for spent nuclear fuel next to a reactor, one of the most radioactive areas at the site.'"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-03/watch-greenpeace-crashes-superman-drone-nuclear-power-plant-expose-facilitys

3 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Greenpeace trying to expose weakness in nuclear power plants by proving it is vulnerable to a terrorist attack.

In the wise words of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, "Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby."

These Greenpeace stunts are nothing more than that - stunts.  Greenpeace has lost credibility with me by concentrating on stunts instead of engaging in serious thinking  (not that they much care, obviously).  But it raises the question of the spent-fuel storage ponds  (which are being replaced by sold-wall casks).  Why not re-use and use up the material in those rods?  Obviously there is plenty of life left in the old rods, material that is free for the asking.  the inability of the industry to develop new reactors that run on old discarded fuel material demonstrates the paralysis when the untutored mob takes over policy making.  Fortunately there is good movement in Canada on building prototype machines that run on the molten-salt principle, which can accept old fuels  (you simply toss the stuff into the molten pool). 

I once was flying into Middletown Airport, Pennsylvania, and given an instruction by the Tower to avoid flying directly over Three Mile Island.  The idea was to avoid having an aircraft crash into and break the containment dome of the reactor.  Aside from the issue of damaging the paint on my plane, how can it be envisioned that an aircraft is going to bust through a containment dome sixteen feet thick?  Hey, explosive shells from battleships bombarding Rommel's Atlantic Wall defenses couldn't bust those German pillboxes, and those were seriously heavy shells.  My little airplane is not even going to scratch that containment dome. 

And there you see it:  Greenpeace and their stunts undermine confidence is serious engineering, and end up paralyzing the entire industry.  Pox on those guys. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

In other recent Greenpeace news people dangle from bridges. Note the heartfelt statement by the leader of the, um, protest.

The first time Greenpeace people did that bridge dangling was down in Portland, Oregon, to block a deep-sea tug and Shell drilling rig from departing to Alaska North Slope.  The rig was in a repair yard on the Willamette River, and those guys did the dangle, blocking the tug for some time.  I have this recollection it went on for days. Itr was a big mess. With that "success," you can anticipate more of these stunts. 

Inevitably, at some point it goes south and somebody gets killed. I see it coming. 

• Like 1