Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TB

Democracy and Regime: Iranian Woman Gets 20 years In Prison For Removing Her Obligatory Headscarf In Protest

An Iranian woman who removed her obligatory Islamic headscarf out of protest in December says she has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.Shapark Shajarizadeh posted on her personal website that she had been jailed for “opposing the compulsory hijab” and “waving a white flag of peace in the street.” There was no immediate comment from Iranian officials. Police in Iran arrested 29 people in February for removing their headscarves as part of a campaign known as “White Wednesdays.” Nasrin Sotoudeh, a prominent human rights lawyer who represented Shajarizadeh and other women, was arrested last month.

Theocracies are inherently oppressive. The young folks in Iran will eventually do away with their religious leadership. World should be supportive of them in every way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thinking about it everyday is like prison anyway if you have no freedom of choice. Only this time you are also not free to leave a cage. So,sad,

• Like 1

When mullahs regime changes, oppression of women will stop in this country.

I found that she's in Canada now. Left Iran a month ago before of verdict.

This is a gross violation of human rights and human dignity. Mullahs will never learn to respect the value of humanity.

1 hour ago, jpZelabal said:

I found that she's in Canada now. Left Iran a month ago before of verdict.

Nothing quite like a 20-year jail sentence that will never be served!  Yup, when in doubt, vote with your feet and make a run for the Border.  Sage advice. 

(edited)

So the best option for better future  is western invasion or revolution.

In recent times for example people from Iraq, Libya and Syria or Ukraine years after overthrowing their government would surely agree and convince young Iranians Russians or Chineses about that.

And some people still dont know why world democratization  is not so popular nowadays.  Maybe because this idea was completely ridiculed in last 25 years.

Edited by Tomasz

So, somebody tell me why it is that apparently NONE of us buys what the so called mullahs are selling, but when it comes to oil there are plenty of people lining up at the trough?  Go on...

I'll say it again: If these old boys spent half as much energy and money on contributing to the human race as they do to controlling and oppressing it, hmmm, maybe their own little country could turn back into a center of wealth, beauty, technological advances and, dare I say it, happiness.  I will even wager that there are plenty of people within their own borders that could easily advance their own nuclear programs, but have chosen to never let that type of technology get anywhere near these madmen.

(edited)

Iran is at least not a sponsor of terrorism.  Saudi Arabia is unofficial sponsor of Al-Kaida and fight in Yemen. Qatar gives money to  ISIS.  Both suport the wrong side in Syria. So maybe western countries should primarily resolve  problems with SA and Qatar because its burning issue for Europe and only after that think about Iran which is a lot less dangerous to world society so I truly doesnt like US foreign police in Middle East. Not to mention Pakistan - this country former US ally actually has nuclear bomb and probably sold know-how to North Korea. Its a lot less stable than Iran. North Korean after Maidan probably obtained a secret plans of a long-range missile from one of ukrainian factories. 

Edited by Tomasz