Marina Schwarz

Trump Making Friends in Germany. Or Not.

"We're protecting Germany, we're protecting France, we're protecting all of these countries. And then numerous of the countries go out and make a pipeline deal with Russia where they're paying billions of dollars into the coffers of Russia," Trump said. "Germany is a captive of Russia. They got rid of their coal plants, they got rid of their nuclear, they're getting so much of their oil and gas from Russia. I think it is something NATO has to look at," he added.

"So we're supposed to protect you against Russia and you pay billions of dollars to Russia and I think that's very inappropriate," Trump noted.

"Germany is totally controlled by Russia cause they are getting 60 to 70% of their energy from Russia and a new pipeline," he said, adding that former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was the chairman of Nord Stream AG, which was also inappropriate.

Priceless. Just priceless. I actually want more quotes. 

• Like 2

Trump is an epic troll.  For sure this will provoke a reaction, before the actual negotiations begin.

• Like 1

Hi Marina and Tom.  Ok, I'll bite:  What is it that Trump said that you don't like?  Or at least is inaccurate?  I have to say that, from a total layman's perspective, what he says makes sense to me.  However, I have absolutely no way to know if his "facts" stand up to any test.  Ok, let me have it!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Hi Marina and Tom.  Ok, I'll bite:  What is it that Trump said that you don't like?  Or at least is inaccurate?  I have to say that, from a total layman's perspective, what he says makes sense to me.  However, I have absolutely no way to know if his "facts" stand up to any test.  Ok, let me have it!

You misunderstand my comment.  I agree with Trump on this particular issue.  (Trolling isn't always bad, it can be an amusing art form on anon boards...)  The uncomfortable squirming by others in the video I linked to above is just beautiful.

Also, re-read what I said:

"For sure this will provoke a reaction, before the actual negotiations begin."

And from ZH:

"Germany Is A Captive Of Russia": Trump Slams German Hypocrisy Over Russian Pipeline

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

You misunderstand my comment.  I agree with Trump on this particular issue.  (Trolling isn't always bad, it can be an amusing art form on anon boards...)  The uncomfortable squirming by others in the video I linked to above is just beautiful.

Also, re-read what I said:

"For sure this will provoke a reaction, before the actual negotiations begin."

And from ZH:

"Germany Is A Captive Of Russia": Trump Slams German Hypocrisy Over Russian Pipeline

Aha, I see.  Sorry I missed the subtlety.

1 minute ago, Dan Warnick said:

Aha, I see.  Sorry I missed the subtlety.

It wasn't you, I simply wasn't clear enough.

This is just Trump trolling a bit and sticking a fork in Germany (and NATO) before the actual, serious hard bargaining starts up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

It wasn't you, I simply wasn't clear enough.

This is just Trump trolling a bit and sticking a fork in Germany (and NATO) before the actual, serious hard bargaining starts up. 

Good article, BTW.  After reading it I went on down into the comments.  That was.......another experience.  Ha-ha!

Yes, Trump does go for the whole deal without regard for his peers' feelings or positions back home, doesn't he?  I like the tactic, IF it means that he backs off a bit and gets most of what he wants, as quickly as he can get it, and then allows the other parties to save a bit of face in the end.  Unfortunately, that last part doesn't seem to be part of the game plan.  Oh well, let's see what he gets, good or bad.  I often heard growing up:  "Pay up or shut up" and "Actions speak louder than words"

No doubt these meetings are going to be contentious, to say the least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

"We're protecting Germany, we're protecting France, we're protecting all of these countries. And then numerous of the countries go out and make a pipeline deal with Russia where they're paying billions of dollars into the coffers of Russia," Trump said. "Germany is a captive of Russia. They got rid of their coal plants, they got rid of their nuclear, they're getting so much of their oil and gas from Russia. I think it is something NATO has to look at," he added.

"So we're supposed to protect you against Russia and you pay billions of dollars to Russia and I think that's very inappropriate," Trump noted.

"Germany is totally controlled by Russia cause they are getting 60 to 70% of their energy from Russia and a new pipeline," he said, adding that former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was the chairman of Nord Stream AG, which was also inappropriate.

Priceless. Just priceless. I actually want more quotes. 

or not

Oh, I do. And here they are. Note the other Donald's remark.

@Dan Warnick, I try not to engage in geopolitical discussions because I find it futile but here goes: Trump's comments are not only lacking in factual truth, it is also extremely immature. Not that I'm saying anything new, of course. I am amused, though.

• Like 1

(edited)

USA establishment = you only need to sell your LNG cheaper than Gazprom. As far I know thats impossible because of high cost of LNG transport to Europe. But its your own problem that  LNG from USA is 40% more expensive than Russian gas and will probably always be much more expensive than pipe gas.

Im sorry friendship is friendship but bussiness is bussiness. I want much cheaper gas  more  than US protection in Europe.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.e321f1fa2a1967e881b2558447cd03be.jpeg

Words to live by, here in the oil price community....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, mthebold said:

If you don't think Russia is a threat, then neither do I.  You clearly don't need America's help protecting yourselves; we should spend our money elsewhere. 

Well I see Russia spending now 50 bilions on military budget. On NATO side I see USA alone spending 712 this year and this pact expanding east despite as we know now clear agreement made 30 years ago. So yes  I really dont see any threat.  Learn some mathematics 50 is less than 1/14 of 712.

This is your own problem that you spend more than 10 next countries on military budget. But I dont want to pay a lot more for gas because of this. I would add that the biggest problem for world peace is probably rather a country that spend biggest amount of money for weapons. And thats clearly  not Russia.

Just in Iraq alone after Us invasion died more than 1 milion Iraqi people. And I remember very well the fake reason and behaviour of western press that days = today we call this fake news and information war.

Edited by Tomasz

(edited)

You should just cut military spending a lot  as CEO of Alibaba said in interview giving you advice

All your chronic fiscal problems would be resolved. But  if you want to save global hegemony and role of $ as world most important currency by spending 714 bilions on military budget per year I really dont see reason for sponsoring you by buying a very expensive gas.

European countries in NATO has about 3 time bigger population, several times bigger nominal gdp and several times bigger military budgets combined than Russia. And I never NEVER heard about that in western media.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

Trump is overplaying the Russian threat just to sell more LNG and weapons to Europe. Trump's narrow understanding of geopolitics is reduced to trade issues.

Perhaps it's time to say to the US that Europe don't need a US "Protection" anymore if this imply that the US dictate how much we have to spend on defense and where we can buy our energy.

Trump is acting like a mafia boss selling his "protection" in association with threats.

• Like 2