Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Trump Threatens Sanctions against Shell, Uniper

... and also Engie, OMV, and Windershall--all companies involved in the Nord Stream 2 project. Now, I shouldn't say this but I would really like to see it happen not out of spite for any of these companies but out of pure curiosity how far Trump can go with his sanction game.

Well it seems that threatening with trade sanctions on everything against everyone is the new normal US policy...

Donald Trump's administration has threatened Ecuador with trade sanctions if it introduces a UN resolution to encourage breastfeeding.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/breastfeeding-united-nations-us-sanctions-ecuador-russia-a8437786.html

• Like 2

This all sounds like more bluster to me. Trump is trying to look tough ahead of Putin meet because everyone knows he's at a disadvantage here. 

7 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Oh, wow. That awakened the dormant communist in me.

I quickly searched for the Ecuador resolution text and could not find it. but I found this

"The resolution said countries should limit the misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes, as a mother’s breast milk has been shown to be the healthiest for children in decades of research. "

my initial my initial reaction is neither one for or against the resolution on its merit, particularly since I haven't seen it. it is more one of wondering whether this is some pretty significant over-reach. Do we really need the UN weighing in on whether mothers breastfeed or use formula? maybe that's part of their mandate, I guess I don't really know. seems odd.

for what it's worth, I saw some news stories reporting that the Trump Administration has denied those allegations. 

if anyone has the actual text of the resolution that would be greatly appreciated.

You bring me hope. The communist has gone back to sleep until we have clarity. Yet Nestle and their likes are very aggressive in their marketing, um, efforts, so I don't mind someone giving them a little slap on the face. I actually vaguely remember a boycott of their products because of this aggressive formula marketing. 

But you're right. The WHO has already weighed in on the issue. WHO is a relevant authority. On the other hand, the UN weighs in on everything, I guess, so why not baby nutrition.

(edited)

A pipe between Russia and Germany build in joint-venture by Gazprom and biggest european oil&gas companies because its good comercial project and reliable and flexible source of huge amount of cheapest natural gas on european market.  Pipe located a  couple of thousands kilometers from nearest US border.

So in my humble opinion really not US problem nor bussiness.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Upvote 1