Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

Daimler and BMW Will Beat Tesla in EV Race

Daimler and BMW will rise to the top of the global electric vehicle market in 2021, according to new research from PA Consulting. This research puts Tesla in the lead for 2019 but predicts it would fall to seventh in 2021. Production problems with Model 3, uncertain profit outlook and expired tax credits could kick Tesla out of the game. 

It is almost inevitable for larger automakers to surpass Tesla in EV sales. But Tesla still needs to sell well enough to stay in business and be eventually profitable company.

Even if they succeed to surpass Tesla in EV sales and technology, Tesla still made a success. Its goal was to be a pioneer in electric vehicles and to motivate others to develop and build EVs. I see this more as complementing the industry instead of competition.

I don't think investors would like loosing money if Tesla doesn't stay strong and get profitable. Everything is about money in this game.  

What about battery technology? Tesla spent 10 years building batteries. Its biggest advantage here are batteries, especially after signing an agreement with China to build Gigafactory in Shanghai.  Other manufacturers will either buy batteries from  third party or have to develop competitive batteries. Either way they are behind, and their batteries will cost more to build and perform worse than Tesla/Panasonic batteries. 

Oh im pretty sure tesla will be a hasbeen, everytime i see him talk, I know he won't last, just like that delorean yugo, i am surprised he lasted this long.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, Vlad Kovalenko said:

What about battery technology? Tesla spent 10 years building batteries. Its biggest advantage here are batteries, especially after signing an agreement with China to build Gigafactory in Shanghai.  Other manufacturers will either buy batteries from  third party or have to develop competitive batteries. Either way they are behind, and their batteries will cost more to build and perform worse than Tesla/Panasonic batteries. 

Companies like VAG, Daimler, BMW, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, GM, so on... spend more money in a year on Research and Development than what Tesla makes in a year. till now the only car company that has been involved in lithium sulphur batteries development is VAG

Don't forget the Chinese EV manufacturers. Huge market, huge production and huge investments.

China is using the transition to EV's to close the gap with European and Japanese car makers.

Big Chinese companies like Tencent, Alibaba or Foxconn are investing massively in EV manufacturers.

https://www.globalfleet.com/en/manufacturers/asia-pacific/analysis/finally-list-chinese-ev-manufacturers