Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TS

Fantastically tight supply for lithium miners

The lithium market is just getting tighter and tighter. Contracted prices up 25Q% since first half of the month. Looking at Orocobre here. Stock is up on contract announcements. 

Neverheard of Orocobre ... another penny stock? Not really down with these penny stocks or small-caps on the TSX. 

• Downvote 1

If you haven't heard of Orocobre, then you haven't been following lithium at all. They're mid-cap, and one of the best lithium miners out there. Stock (ASX:ORE) is up most recently with announcement that it will get $11,000 per tonne for its lithium in December. 

busted. I'm only half paying attention to lithium. I think it's because I can't really get a handle on it or how to get in on it. Too many small new miners flooding this scene for me to be able to wade through them all. 

Fair enough. Here's a short list to get you started (beyond Orocobre): 

Galaxy Resources (ASX:GXY)
Kidman Resources Ltd (ASX:KDR)
Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX:PLS)
Lithium Americas (TSX:LAC)
Critical Elements (TSX:CRE)
Nemaska Lithium Inc (TSX:NMX)

Not as keen on the TSX-ers. What about the bigger miners? 

I really wouldn't shy away from the TSX when it comes to lithium. Yes, lots of plays out there that aren't going to make it, but the Canadian junior miners overall has seen a nice increase in value lately. And with lithium demand set to soar by 300% over the next eight or so years, a lot of these are looking good, if you can find the right team behind them. 

Of course, the big boys are easier because you don't have to vet the management in the same way, but it's typically not just lithium then--not pure play so you're betting on a bigger basket of metals and not all of them are great right now. 

Albemarle I think is great, but this is an expensive stock and if you're a trader, you're not going to get a lot of movement on it. The only way to really make serious cash here is to bet on the small-caps, or even more risk/reward, the ventures. 

OK @TraderTate, since you down-rated me in this conversation are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and point me in the right venture direction?

haha. no :) Nothing personal with the down-rating. I don't think it's wise to give stocks tips; don't want the responsibility. Also don't think it's wise to take stock tips from someone on a forum in your case. Look at who is backing them ... probably those with backing by Frank Guistra (billionaire Canadian mining investor) will be more solid than some of the others. They seem to know what they're doing. Good enough?

Thanks, I'll take it and I won't down-rate you for it :)