Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM

Is Owning a Car Soon Going to Be Obsolete?

(edited)

With car-sharing service which is on rise, I wonder what will be cheaper in the future- car sharing or car owning. Some research shows that in the best-case scenario, a family that gives up in favor of car sharing could save about $4,000 in annual transportation costs. Could car-sharing really save us time and money? 

Edited by BlackTortoise

I think it will depend a lot on where you live.  In the city, yes, I could see car sharing becoming the way of the future (until they figure out driverless cars, and then THAT will be the future).  But where I live out in rural no-man's land, well, we don't even have uber.  So its not even an option for us.  I think you also need to look into the details of that research.  Did they differentiate between people who own $45,000 new cars with full coverage and DWIs on their record, vs. people that buy $4,000 used vehicles with only liability insurance and have never had an accident?  Did they differentiate between city parking that could cost several thousand dollars each year vs. town parking which is completely free at all times of the year.