Coca-Cola said it would take the unusual step of raising prices on its carbonated soft drinks in the middle of the year in part because of the financial strain caused by President Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum. 

GM also lowered its profit forecast for the year because the price of steel, aluminum and other commodities are rising faster than expected. The company said that shoppers in the market for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra — coming online in August — may see higher prices

15 minutes ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

Coca-Cola said it would take the unusual step of raising prices on its carbonated soft drinks in the middle of the year in part because of the financial strain caused by President Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum. 

Trump if getting affected by this 

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Trump if getting affected by this 

I dont think he is paying for it. But can always switch to Pepsi

• Like 1

Just now, 李伟王芳 said:

I dont think he is paying for it. But can always switch to Pepsi

Pepsi is increasing prices as well

Thing is, Coke should use US Aluminum in their cans. With Chinese crap, the tinfoil cans they put out now rip open if you drop one. That never used to happen.

2 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

Thing is, Coke should use US Aluminum in their cans. With Chinese crap, the tinfoil cans they put out now rip open if you drop one. That never used to happen.

I think they do but they reduced the thickness of the can wall in order to save weight and materials, and pass on the savings to the executives

• Upvote 2

but the glass and plastic should stay the same. or is going up altogether? 

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 9.39.16 AM.png

Or they should just suck it up. Coca-Cola shares rose by 2.3% as a result and the company said that their net revenue over the time period was $2.32 billion - an increase of almost a billion dollars on the same period last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

A couple ounces of aluminum isn't but a couple of pennies and the tariff might be an extra penny. Cry me a river.

4 minutes ago, Joanna said:

A couple ounces of aluminum isn't but a couple of pennies and the tariff might be an extra penny. Cry me a river.

Estimated costs per can for major bottlers is roughly .015. So the tariff is less than .01$. And do we know how much are they going to charge us? If it is .01$, why mention it, suck it up 

2 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Estimated costs per can for major bottlers is roughly .015. So the tariff is less than .01$. And do we know how much are they going to charge us? If it is .01$, why mention it, suck it up 

Why would they have to raise their prices when they didn't lower them after getting a 14% reduction in their tax rate? Because their profits from the tax went to stock buybacks and increasing salaries for the upper echelon.

• Like 1

We are seeing many companies using these tariffs to falsely justify "unexpected" and otherwise unnecessary price increases.  It's a great American tradition!  Jump on the current bandwagon and gather more revenue!  Oh, yeah!  Share price rises, CEO receives another big lot of stock options and a fatter bonus, and then can accelerate his/her departure.  What's the problem?  It's all good (bleeding sarcasm).

Hi all, my name is Mike, new to the forum  Has something changed?  Since when does cost to produce = price?  The price of the soft drink is determined by the market.  I know I'm not the smartest person in the room here, so help me understand, please.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

Hi all, my name is Mike, new to the forum  Has something changed?  Since when does cost to produce = price?  The price of the soft drink is determined by the market.  I know I'm not the smartest person in the room here, so help me understand, please.

Mike, right now you ARE the smartest person in the room!  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sefko Trafikant said:

but the glass and plastic should stay the same. or is going up altogether? 

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 9.39.16 AM.png

Readers might wish to take note that, today, it is a crime for a restaurant server to serve any drink with a straw, whether plastic or bio-degradable, in the City of Santa Barbara  (that is a notorious fancy city in California where movie stars live).  The punishment is a steep fine and six months in jail.  And that is for EACH straw served.  If your waitress serves a table of four with straws, she is headed for two years in jail.  Welcome to America, the land of the lunatics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

Readers might wish to take note that, today, it is a crime for a restaurant server to serve any drink with a straw, whether plastic or bio-degradable, in the City of Santa Barbara  (that is a notorious fancy city in California where movie stars live).  The punishment is a steep fine and six months in jail.  And that is for EACH straw served.  If your waitress serves a table of four with straws, she is headed for two years in jail.  Welcome to America, the land of the lunatics.

funny you mention California

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/25/politics/trump-walk-of-fame-star-smash/index.html

EEE GAD the Hoi Poloi will have to eat regular caviar on saltine crackers, on chinet.

Drinking Cooks out of a paper cup.   Thats roughing it.

Boluga & Ritz with Dom P on Wedgwood China and Austrian Crystal for the upper crust please..........

THINGS GO BETTER WITH COKE.

On 7/27/2018 at 3:10 AM, Jan van Eck said:

So blowing spit wads out of a straw at an annoying sibling is probably out of the question these days.

I feel so much safer now that plastic straws are banned.

image_8b3f81d1-eee5-4430-a4d8-cbba83471e9f20180731_172958.jpg

• Like 1

Do I need to declare, or get a license for, our home straw dispenser?  Is it covered by the 2nd Amendment, in case the guv'ment tries to take them away from me (From my cold, dead hands!)?  Do I need to buy a lockable, child proof straw cabinet?  As you can clearly see, our home dispenser has no lock on it and the modification costs may be prohibitive.Image result for classic coca-cola straw dispenser

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:45 PM, Cokiga Damke said:

Or they should just suck it up.

Good one.

15 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Do I need to declare, or get a license for, our home straw dispenser?  Is it covered by the 2nd Amendment, in case the guv'ment tries to take them away from me (From my cold, dead hands!)?  Do I need to buy a lockable, child proof straw cabinet?  As you can clearly see, o

Sorry, Dan, totally prohibited, no exemption for home possession.  Your straws will have to be turned in. Finito.  Welcome to Santa Barbara.

I knew there had to be one:

Related image

• Like 1