50 shades of black

Crossroads -Turning From China, Mnuchin Says U.S. Focused On EU Pact

U.S. trade officials will immediately focus on resolving steel and aluminum tariff issues with the European Union, while a broader trade agreement between the parties likely rolls out in stages over the next year, U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Thursday. In an interview on CNBC, Mnuchin said the United States was focused on its European partners, although there continued to be quiet conversations with China over trade. “If they’re willing to make serious changes just as the EU did yesterday, we’ll negotiate with China any time,” he told reporters at the White House following his television interview. “We’re very focused on the EU,” he told CNBC. On Wednesday, the European Union reportedly offered concessions on trade during talks at the White House between President Donald Trump and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

Does this mean no winner? Impossible🤩

Trade is always negotiated and always comes out in stages. This is nice wording to say that EU-US trade negotiations will carry on as before.

Sounds optimistic, better than the North Korea deal :)

Already seen ... Create an unnecessary crisis, scramble to get things back to how they were before more or less, then declare a deal...vicious circle.

Business moves are different from politics - it's a rule, not theater

Few statement of Mnuchin from this morning: 
"I thought we had a deal". " There was an agreement in principle" on steel/aluminum and retaliatory tariffs."  "I think we made very big progress" ....

"I thought we had a deal"   "I think we made very big progress" Anyone else find these statements slightly contradictory?

Hmmm... "I thought we had a deal"?  Has the EU walked something back? :)