Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Saudi Arabia's "Unusual Funding Strategy"

The way I understand it, MBS wants to take money out of the pocket labelled "Aramco" and put it in the pocket labelled "PIF". To that end, Aramco will have to get some borrowed cash since the IPO is down the drain. The WSJ calls it "unusual funding strategy" and I can't help but admire the style (of WSJ, that is). However, even a bond might not work because lenders, like investors, want to know some numbers that Aramco has so far been unwilling to provide. What's next?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The way I understand it, MBS wants to take money out of the pocket labelled "Aramco" and put it in the pocket labelled "PIF". To that end, Aramco will have to get some borrowed cash since the IPO is down the drain. The WSJ calls it "unusual funding strategy" and I can't help but admire the style (of WSJ, that is). However, even a bond might not work because lenders, like investors, want to know some numbers that Aramco has so far been unwilling to provide. What's next?

Whats PIF? Plundered Investment Funds?

Aramco would be a solid bet for bonds. Makes a lot more sense than going public.    But how on any planet buying what you already have, as in SABIC, helps develop the Kingdom? Borrow, sure, but put the money elsewhere. MBS is a master at palace intrigue, but he’s being taken to the cleaners by key ministers, consultants, and bankers.