Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MP

Advancing Fundamental Drilling Science - Geothermal drilling successes offer potential gain for petroleum industry

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/953511

Texas A&M University researchers Dr. Sam Noynaert and Fred Dupriest recently presented results from a geothermal project that drastically reduced well-completion times and drill bit changeouts to an audience of mostly petroleum drillers. The Department of Energy (DOE) funded the project, which improves geothermal drilling practices with physics-based instruction and oil and gas techniques to lower the high cost of drilling geothermal wells. The time and equipment saved suggests the oil industry should take note.

“How you use a technology is usually more important than what technology you use,” said Dupriest. “It's not just the geothermal industry that benefits from this. The petroleum industry could have an enormous opportunity here.”

Dupriest and Noynaert, professors of practice in the Harold Vance Department of Petroleum Engineering, presented their results in March during the International Association of Drilling Contractors and the Society of Petroleum Engineers conference and exhibition.

...  (Click on link above to read the rest)

• Like 1

So, "geothermal companies" AKA, government funds sucking babies got lessons paid for by you and me on how to drill that every oil/ng driller knows? 

This is "news" in your world?  Uh... Ok

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

So, "geothermal companies" AKA, government funds sucking babies got lessons paid for by you and me on how to drill that every oil/ng driller knows? 

Did you click on the link and read the full story? All I quoted initially was the first few paragraphs.

9 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

Did you click on the link and read the full story? All I quoted initially was the first few paragraphs.

Yup, it was a fluff PR piece showing how our tax dollars are paying so called Geo Therm grant $$$ government tit sucking companies to drill instead of just hiring an oil driller to do the job.  They varied the bit pressure(feed rate)... nothing new.  They varied angles of the head itself for harder granitic rock... nothing new.  They cleared the bit head with a different density mud(chose water)... nothing new.   Literally shit from the dawn of drilling. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Yup, it was a fluff PR piece showing how our tax dollars

What do you mean by 'our'. We don't pay our taxes in Rubles.

This Has been talked and conference d to death in the last 20m years. Same problems with formation porosity and  well depth. See Blue Mountain(Makes Solyndra look like pocket change). A geothermal energy company with a $98.5 million loan guarantee from the Obama administration for an alternative energy project in Nevada — which received hearty endorsements from Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid — faces financial problems, and the company’s auditors have questioned whether it can stay in business.https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/4/lights-go-dim-on-another-energy-project/

And Lightning Dock in NM has the same problem. The Geysers and Yellowstone  are the only two sites  in the lower 48 that work unless NG is over $9.mcf.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nsdp said:

This Has been talked and conference d to death in the last 20m years. Same problems with formation porosity and  well depth. See Blue Mountain(Makes Solyndra look like pocket change). A geothermal energy company with a $98.5 million loan guarantee from the Obama administration for an alternative energy project in Nevada — which received hearty endorsements from Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid — faces financial problems, and the company’s auditors have questioned whether it can stay in business.https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/4/lights-go-dim-on-another-energy-project/

And Lightning Dock in NM has the same problem. The Geysers and Yellowstone  are the only two sites  in the lower 48 that work unless NG is over $9.mcf.

Anyone linking to the original article and reading the whole thing will see that the main point of the article is the benefits of the faster drilling technology to the oil industry, not to geothermal. The focus of the research was on geothermal, however what has been learned would massively increase productivity in oil well drilling.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

footeab - that is an almost irrational view of the matter. Its a straight forward piece about improving drilling processes. Academics sharing insights gained while grilling for geothermal projects which have some crossover value for oil projects. Of course, every oil driller already knows something about drilling but they are always looking to improve. This might help. I don't know about the fund sucking part as I don't know much about geothermal in the US, but this might be a way to get some value back..  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

Anyone linking to the original article and reading the whole thing will see that the main point of the article is the benefits of the faster drilling technology to the oil industry, not to geothermal. The focus of the research was on geothermal, however what has been learned would massively increase productivity in oil well drilling.

I would hope that any one reading the article would have sufficient knowledge to  go to the DOE FORGE website and look at the well logs.  The holes are shallow <3000m TDP and rock porosity is low.  Further investigation shows fluid flow rates and temperatures are such that the heat available with out supplementation is good for a about 20 kw(2-3 houses) at this site. I am co inventor of this patent  US8169101B2 - Renewable energy electric generating  steam - Google Patents https://patents.google.com/patent/US8169101B2/en and know a lot more  than you as to the usefulness of this project. They need to go to 5000 m to have enough  hot rock so that the well doesn't shut in due to cooling of the rock as you withdraw water..  You also need for it to be hot enough  that the steam changes from water to steam without the water needing external heat to change phase.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nsdp said:

I would hope that any one reading the article would have sufficient knowledge to  go to the DOE FORGE website and look at the well logs.  The holes are shallow <3000m TDP and rock porosity is low.  Further investigation shows fluid flow rates and temperatures are such that the heat available with out supplementation is good for a about 20 kw(2-3 houses) at this site. I am co inventor of this patent  US8169101B2 - Renewable energy electric generating  steam - Google Patents https://patents.google.com/patent/US8169101B2/en and know a lot more  than you as to the usefulness of this project. They need to go to 5000 m to have enough  hot rock so that the well doesn't shut in due to cooling of the rock as you withdraw water..  You also need for it to be hot enough  that the steam changes from water to steam without the water needing external heat to change phase.

Did you even notice, in the article as posted online, that drilling efficiency for oil wells increases significantly? Seems like no reply I've gotten addresses the point of the article.

16 hours ago, nsdp said:

The whole point of the development is improving drilling processes.  They did not make any attempt to target a specific reservoir or producing horizontal for geothermal or oil and gas production.