Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

What Turkey Sanctions Are Really About

I would be worried about the sanctions slapped on Turkish officials over the arrest of the American pastor. It's a dangerous election game being played. This guy has been in prison already for over 20 months, so the timing, of course, is about the US mid-terms and Trumps need to secure the evangelical vote. But this isn't the EU--this is Turkey, and Erdogan, and the response won't be a good one. What does Erdogan want? He wants Gulen, whom the US refuses to extradite. He wants a swap now, and that was probably the entire reason behind arresting the American pastor in the first place. But more problematically is what sanctioning a NATO member means for security. There's been far too much undermining of NATO in recent weeks, and this is exactly what Moscow is hoping will happen. Whatever comes of this, Moscow is the beneficiary. 

19 minutes ago, Ajan Bosnjacki said:

Trump's behavior is very frustrating for anyone that follows geopolitic. Regarding Turkey, just last month he fist bumped Erdogan and said "he (Erdogan) is doing things the right way"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-fist-bumped-turkish-leader-erdogan-said-he-does-things-the-right-way/

It can not be that we are poking another country over a pastor

Last time sanctions were imposed upon Iran, Turkey played a large part in helping Iran with a gold-for-oil work around of those sanctions.  I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't meant to be a "gentle warning" that the US is watching Turkey more closely this time.  

2 hours ago, 李伟王芳 said:

It can not be that we are poking another country over a pastor

No, we're poking another country over an American Citizen, who likely is innocent of what he's been accused.

44 minutes ago, TXPower said:

No, we're poking another country over an American Citizen, who likely is innocent of what he's been accused.

I guess neither of us all lawyers here, but there is a trial and he has US attorney. And I don't think US can moralize about imprisoning people.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

I guess neither of us all lawyers here, but there is a trial and he has US attorney. And I don't think US can moralize about imprisoning people.   

and how do we know he is innocent, except Vice President Pence and President Donald Trump both mentioned Brunson on Twitter last week, calling him “a great Christian” and an “innocent man of faith.” Guy lives in Turkey for the past 20 years. On other side, no one is mentioning another American citizen  and NASA scientist, Serkan Golge. 

Serkan and his wife were visiting Turkey with their two sons in July 2016 when the scientist was detained by police amid accusations he was involved in a failed coup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Well, I'm certainly no attorney.  Yes, there is a trial.  The term kangaroo court comes to mind, regardless of the nationality of his attorney.  Yes, yes we can moralize about willfully imprisoning innocent people.  Lets just say that due process actually means something here in the U.S., or would you argue that citizens and perhaps more to the point, non-citizens enjoy more from Turkey.  

• Like 2

(edited)

Sorry dear friends in Turkey only about 3.000 judges and lawyers are currently in jail. Last month Erdogan just in one day after election sacked tiny amount of 18.000 public employees because of political reasons and only 72 people in one single trial were sentenced to life imprisonment for organizing coup. 

If you really dont see any problem and think only about geopolitics please dont make me laugh by saying NATO is alliance of values!!!!! Nato is an alliance of values!!! 

Because with Poland Hungary and Turkey  on board is surely no longer a alliance of values and thats pure propaganda. 

Let me remind you

Although Somoza was reckoned as a ruthless dictator, the United States continued to support his regime as a non-communist stronghold in Nicaragua. President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) supposedly remarked in 1939 that "Somoza may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch."[7][8] According to historian David Schmitz, however, researchers and archivists who have searched the archives of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library have found no evidence that Roosevelt ever made this statement. The statement first appeared in the November 15, 1948 issue of Time magazine and was later mentioned in a March 17, 1960 broadcast of CBS Reports called "Trujillo: Portrait of a Dictator". In this broadcast, however, it was asserted that FDR made the statement in reference to Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic. It should be further noted that this statement has been attributed to a variety of United States presidential administrations in regard to foreign dictators. Thus the statement remains apocryphal at this point, though Roosevelt and later presidents certainly supported the Somoza family and their rule over Nicaragua.[9] Andrew Crawley claims that the Roosevelt statement is a myth created by Somoza himself.[10]

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

Sure, Erdogan is doing things the right way, replacing the secular Turkish republic with the embryo of another Ottoman Empire (yeah, that's gonna happen for sure).

But look at these guys! 

Own goal ... As a matter of fact, each regime is the same - there are so many similar things between Putin's regime and Erdogan's anarchy. And, Turkey and Russia are probably countries with most anti-democratic principles  in modern history...

just doing a major favor for Russia and will strengthen those countries relationship

It is also now clear what Trump and Putin said in their private 2 hour long one-on-one discussion was also about Turkey as well as Iran