hemanthaa@mail.com

Is Europe heading for winter of discontent with extensive gas shortages?

1 minute ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Doubt it. It is just a T-72 with the latest electronic bits. Which are identical to yours. For example, Thales Catherine Gen II thermal sights.

I know for a fact they have at least one T90 in the UK because my colleagues husband - a defense research scientistic is crawling all over one  right now. 

British Army General to Ukrainian Army General. 

We just dispatching another 1000 NLAWS / Javs  to you. If by any chance you take out a T90 (or other AFV of interest) if possible can your chaps stick it on a low loader and we will pick up from Eastern Poland. Of course you will be first in the queue to see the results. Send your own researchers too if you like - we like joint working. 

(edited)

23 minutes ago, NickW said:

Fair enough. They just teach crap then

Nitrogen Dioxide is poisonous, both a chronic and acute toxin

Nitrogen dioxide poisoning - Wikipedia

The other issue Euro 6 covers is particulate pollution. 

In both cases there is a broadly linear relationship between increasing exposure to NO2 and PM and negative health effects

Are you also going to claim Carbon Monoxide is harmless (another emission dealt with by Euro standards) ? 

I didn't take any college chem, but turned into a recreational chemist in my later life.

The European way is making stuff smaller and less powerful. The proper way is to burn hotter and generate more power, because CO and NOx-es are residual oxidizers.

Look at the small print for NO2 poisoning. It only happens if you reach a certain "threshold value"

This is an example of properly Russian environmentally clean vehicle. See the orange smoke? That be fuming nitric acid. No free NOx-es left.

01.jpg.55b105c5a04a02f6f60705872bf25903.

The particulates have to be filtered or centrifuged out, which is a separate issue.

The European-style small diesel in particular is an abomination. Diesels like to be large and made out of pig iron. Then, they automagically become cleaner, too. The 5.7 liter Cummings in a Dodge Ram did not have to modify jack to pass Euro V with flying colors.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

7 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

I didn't take any college chem, but turned into a recreational chemist in my later life.

The European way is making stuff smaller and less powerful. The proper way is to burn hotter and generate more power, because CO and NOx-es are residual oxidizers.

Look at the small print for NO2 poisoning. It only happens if you reach a certain "threshold value"

This is an example of properly Russian environmentally clean vehicle. See the orange smoke? That be fuming nitric acid. No free NOx-es left.

The particulates have to be filtered or centrifuged out, which is a separate issue.

The purpose of the emission limit is to keep atmospheric levels (in the breathing zone) below the TLV. 

You probably want to read the small print on TLV's 

As for Nitric acid - yeah lovely a corrosive gas . Completely harmless if inhaled.........

13 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The European-style small diesel in particular is an abomination. Diesels like to be large and made out of pig iron. Then, they automagically become cleaner, too. The 5.7 liter Cummings in a Dodge Ram did not have to modify jack to pass Euro V with flying colors.

I agree but rather than revert to 5.7 litre engines  we are transiting to petrol hybrids, plug ins and electric vehicles. 

(edited)

2 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

I do generally agree with this, apart from it being democratic. Its hardly democratic when a 150 or so Party members vote for a leader of 140 million people. The Chinese definitely follow this system, but its a system that unless you vote the right way your political career is toast, so hardly democratic.

Yeltsin was a drunk and ridiculed in the West. He was like a drunk Boris Johnson!

The system is a tributary one. The party members who get to vote in the Supreme Soviet or National Party congress are themselves elected by the regional soviet or party congress and so on, down to the small village level. Open ballot introduces a measure of individual responsibility of how one votes. One might just as well argue that your system of voting produces a lynching mob in charge of a guillotine, where everybody is merely responsible for voting to keep up with the Joneses.

Once, the 20th Party Congress failed to re-elect Stalin as the Secretary General, but also failed to nominate anyone to replace him, so he continued his job in no official capacity whatsoever. It is a system that works differently than yours, that's all. The Chinese take on it that they consider meritocracy to be more important than popularity. Indeed, why not? None of the clowns you elect in a popularity contest is going to hold onto the promises they made before being elected, anyway.

You should really pay more attention to the semantics of the vote. It makes for a lot of difference from a game-theoretical standpoint. For example, your system obviously became undone when you switched from party lists to simple majority for the Commons. Now, Boris rules on behalf of a majority as low as 22% in some districts. You know why that is? Your system is dysfunctional when the number of competing parties is larger than two. It is a mathematical fact, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow's_impossibility_theorem

Another persistent problem that you've got is that you lumped the EU Remainers and Scottish separatists into one pot for good. The only way you can separate them is to conduct a referendum on both issues at once, using a carefully crafted poll of 4 or 5 questions. It is fairly well known that Scotland would have left decidedly if there was only a 3rd option on the ballot for seemingly innocuous "don't care" Do you understand why it is so?

(edited)

1 hour ago, NickW said:

You probably want to read the small print on TLV's 

As for Nitric acid - yeah lovely a corrosive gas . Completely harmless if inhaled.........

I don't know what to make of the values given in ppm.

Nitric acid condenses with water at room temperature. (Said acid rain as such) Corrosive means highly reactive. Nitric acid will react with anything organic and turn it into a high explosive. For example, with whatever liquid fuel. "Anti-knock" properties of more expensive petrol is another BS. You need to embrace detonation. It releases an order of magnitude more power from the same fuel than deflagnation.

Did you know that octane numbers of petrol and cetane numbers of diesel count in the opposite directions? The higher octane the fuel has, the less prone it is to detonate = chemically retarded. The higher the cetane number, the more likely it is to detonate = more chemically reactive. So, nitrating a fuel would lower its octane, but boost the cetane number. Plus, add a bit of additional oxidizer. This is what the nitromethane component of the "funny fuel" in American drag racing does. Also causes the cars to spew spectacular flames out of their exhausts.

(edited)

31 minutes ago, NickW said:

I agree but rather than revert to 5.7 litre engines  we are transiting to petrol hybrids, plug ins and electric vehicles. 

Was the best-selling new car in the US under Trump.

Works great as a hybrid. Simply turn it on less often to charge. Also see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle

which are fancier means to trade additional thermal efficiency in exchange for lesser power density. There are some high-end Chinese-made hybrids advertising these now. They are probably now getting the Russian market vacated by European brands, which were not nearly as advanced.

(edited)

1 hour ago, NickW said:

Its been very helpful. Several are now in bits in UK and US defence research labs.

The converse has also been true. Russians have been learning a lot about NATO hardware. NLAWs and Javelins they have outright piles of. (They get a failing grade compared to the German Panzerfaust, BTW)

2 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The converse has also been true. Russians have been learning a lot about NATO hardware. NLAWs and Javelins they have outright piles of. (They get a failing grade compared to German Panzerfaust, BTW)

The Ukrainians seem to like the NLAW and deem it very effective. 

May explain why Russia is now deploying Grandad's in T62's. 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NickW said:

The Ukrainians seem to like the NLAW and deem it very effective. 

May explain why Russia is now deploying Grandad's in T62's. 😂

The Ukrainian brass is simply sucking up to yours. Not what the actual grunts say. It is a rather small shaped charge which fires sideways, under an assumption that the ERA is weaker topside. Which is not a fact for Russian tanks. Hence, lots of sub-lethal hits. Personally, I like the linesight extrapolation feature. This is where I would've started if tasked with developing a controller for ATGM.

This remains a hypothesis. Nobody has seen any actual Russian grandads yet. Plenty of Ukrainian grandads, though, also without the tanks. They recently lifted mobilization age to 70.

5 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The Ukrainian brass is simply sucking up to yours. Not what the actual grunts say. It is a rather small shaped charge which fires sideways, under an assumption that the ERA is weaker topside. Which is not a fact for Russian tanks. Hence, lots of sub-lethal hits. Personally, I like the linesight extrapolation feature. This is where I would've started if tasked with developing a controller for ATGM.

This remains a hypothesis. Nobody has seen any actual Russian grandads yet. Plenty of Ukrainian grandads, though, also without the tanks. They recently lifted mobilization age to 70.

Actually no this is not true.

The Javelin has 2 charges, the first to detonate the ERA  (sideways charge) and the second much larger one to blow the tank to bits, which is evident on any current battlefield in the Ukraine.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/why-the-javelin-missile-is-so-deadly-to-russian-tanks-in-ukraine/

2 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

The Javelin has 2 charges, the first to detonate the ERA  (sideways charge) and the second much larger one to blow the tank to bits, which is evident on any current battlefield in the Ukraine.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/why-the-javelin-missile-is-so-deadly-to-russian-tanks-in-ukraine/

I was talking about the NLAW. The Javelin is doing much, much worse. Mostly, because it cannot be brought into ready-to-fire position instantaneously. Preparing it is a fiddly procedure that takes at least 20+ seconds, by which time the tank is likely gone. Out of all the hits attributed to the Javelin, just about one confirms

https://crithis.quora.com/Javelin-missile-in-Ukraine-expanded-discussion

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

I was talking about the NLAW. The Javelin is doing much, much worse. Mostly, because it cannot be brought into ready-to-fire position instantaneously. Preparing it is a fiddly procedure that takes at least 20+ seconds, by which time the tank is likely gone. Out of all the hits attributed to the Javelin, just about one confirms

https://crithis.quora.com/Javelin-missile-in-Ukraine-expanded-discussion

If the NLAW and Javelins are crap then how is it that everywhere you look on every news feed around the globe there are dozens of Russian tanks blown to pieces?

If they didnt work do you seriously think the Ukrainians would be constantly begging for more?

(edited)

21 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

If the NLAW and Javelins are crap then how is it that everywhere you look on every news feed around the globe there are dozens of Russian tanks blown to pieces?

If they didnt work do you seriously think the Ukrainians would be constantly begging for more?

Mostly, conventional artillery aided by small drones painting targets. Also, your news feeds suck if you don't get to see even more Ukrainian hardware blown to pieces too. Including the stuff you just sent.

Ukrainians are good at begging. Do you seriously expect them to ever stop? Worst case, they'll resell the stuff on Darknet.

5 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Mostly, conventional artillery aided by small drones painting targets. Also, your news feeds sucks if you don't get to see even more Ukrainian hardware blown to pieces too. Including the stuff you just sent.

Ukrainians are good at begging. Do you seriously expect them to ever stop? Worst case, they'll resell the stuff on Darknet.

As i said news feeds globally!

Actually it does show Ukraine miltary hardware also blown to bits.

The point is to say these missiles arent destroying tanks is just blatantly burying your head in the sand

Do you really think since the war started that only 1 Javelin has successfully taken out a Russian tank?

if so I have a bridge for sale!

Just now, Rob Plant said:

The point is to say these missiles arent destroying tanks is just blatantly burying your head in the sand

Do you really think since the war started that only 1 Javelin has successfully taken out a Russian tank?

How come my newsfeed is so different? Am I on an alien planet?

They aren't really, anymore. Tactics adjusted to keep the tanks out of range. Tanks can usually see an infantryman way earlier than he sees them.

Probably more, but in all the cases filmed and attributed to Javelin, only about one confirmed. Did you see the link I posted? The tanks still got blown up, just not by a Javelin.

2 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Waste of time arguing with him . He is hardwired into the Putler / Russian state propaganda

Earlier he said NOX (NO2 & NO) is harmless, probably because Putler said so. 

Mobilising T62's and 70 year old Grandads doesn't seem to ring any bells of desperation either

Volksturm.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The development level of society is very closely correlated with per capita energy use.

so you mean to say that energy conservation like insulating houses better, driving slower, hybrid working etc is digressing? 

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

Most of the issues with Javelins has been due to inexperienced troops trying to use them - usually at too short range where the warheads haven't time to arm. 

Fortunately loads of Ukrainian troops were trained last winter before Russia invaded, many in the UK and that included using NLAW. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

so you mean to say that energy conservation like insulating houses better, driving slower, hybrid working etc is digressing? 

He's in another dimension / earlier time period. 

the Gulf states are the biggest users per head - hardly models of development. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tomasz said:

And sorry a lot of People are asking for whom Such sanctions will be more devastating in long term. 

which people in which countries? 

I know many that think we should de-couple completely from Russian commodities even if it means hardships in short to medium term

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

A mixed bag. I am certainly pro better insulation, but against slower driving. What's hybrid working? Working from home? It usually does not work so well, with possible exception of the higher end software developers.

5 minutes ago, NickW said:

He's in another dimension / earlier time period. 

the Gulf states are the biggest users per head - hardly models of development. 

The highest energy users per head are Nordic, with Iceland an undisputed leader.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/energy-consumption-by-country

The Gulf states are only runners-up. (Bahrain is at #3, after Norway at #2) What's up with my dope is better than yours attitude? In both cases, does high per capita energy use correlate to high quality of life and possibly human development.

11 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

which people in which countries? 

I know many that think we should de-couple completely from Russian commodities even if it means hardships in short to medium term

I don't think this is a thought they arrived at in independent fashion. Are you from Denmark? If you are, you never had much business with Russia to start with.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Japan is comparatively rather small. It is plainly obvious that you would've attacked USSR with nukes and genocided everyone the earliest moment you thought you could get away with it. I am still taken aback what bloodthirsty, soulless monsters your leadership really were. Still likely are. USSR, on the other hand, just wanted to survive. It was always the one on the defense. Quite the opposite of how your Goebbels propaganda renders it now. I used to drink the American Kool Aid for a while myself, but I grew out of it. It is plainly obvious we've been had. So, let's replay, shall we? We have lost no Cold War, we quit it. Your turn now.

Why did so many Russians immigrate to bloodthirsty US from benevolent Russia?

Why did the USSR embargo emigration in 1952 to stop the huge outflow?

Why did even Communist Hollywood, when they made movies involving Russian tourists, always have the Russians bring empty suitcases so they could take as much toilet paper back with them.

Have Russians started using toilet paper, yet?

Why did the Germans, when possible, surrender to the bloodthirsty US in WW2, instead of benevolent Russia?

• Upvote 1