19 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The Russian sources say that the thing is no longer operational and their Prirazlomnaya be the one and only platform operating in the Arctic ice now.

Which sources? 

Because they are not really ships and are not at a liberty to move more than a few meters away?

hull integrity in ice has nothing to do with being able to move. 

Have you considered what thinck ice would do to a mooring system

Alas, the platform seems to be operational, but in a very low-key way and with the original team gone.

It is an FPSO. Not a platform

Operated by vår energi, which was a merger of ENI norway and hitec visions production activities in Norway. 

Anyways, this will be my last response to you. you are a waste of time. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

It is an FPSO. Not a platform

Operated by vår energi, which was a merger of ENI norway and hitec visions production activities in Norway. 

Anyways, this will be my last response to you. you are a waste of time. 

I quote from their page

Technologies

Production and injection rely on a subsea system comprising 22 wells connected to the structure via a system of underwater cables.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is that different from a platform? Just FPSO is usually a decommissioned tanker.

Prirazlomnaya got like 23 wells. There is obviously some kind of standard attachment which allows up to 32.

3 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

hull integrity in ice has nothing to do with being able to move. 

Have you considered what thinck ice would do to a mooring system

The rigs are as good as moored by the well lines.

The Deepwater Horizon got yanked so hard, the giant knife that was supposed to cut the mainline in emergency, failed to engage. They sent a deepwater robot submersible to try to push the big red button next to it, which looked pathetic.

This device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer

(edited)

On 8/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, KeyboardWarrior said:

Deliberately spreading information that you know to be false. 

https://apnews.com/article/business-environment-united-states-georgia-atlanta-7555f8d73c46f0e5513c15d391409aa3

'consumed fuel rods from nuclear plants are radioactive waste. Most fuel rods are stored at the same site as the reactor that consumed them. This has given rise to hundreds of radioactive waste sites in many countries that must be maintained and funded for at least 200,000 years, far beyond the lifetimes of any nuclear power plant.'

https://www.oneearth.org/the-7-reasons-why-nuclear-energy-is-not-the-answer-to-solve-climate-change/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjvaYBhDlARIsAO8PkE2qVTBo_yZsyW7MyZjwAmy5BAywoEchHAdVSs38B7f5Ft2m3SohzdkaAggqEALw_wcB

Edited by lexington green
  • Rolling Eye 2

11 hours ago, lexington green said:

https://apnews.com/article/business-environment-united-states-georgia-atlanta-7555f8d73c46f0e5513c15d391409aa3

'consumed fuel rods from nuclear plants are radioactive waste. Most fuel rods are stored at the same site as the reactor that consumed them. This has given rise to hundreds of radioactive waste sites in many countries that must be maintained and funded for at least 200,000 years, far beyond the lifetimes of any nuclear power plant.'

https://www.oneearth.org/the-7-reasons-why-nuclear-energy-is-not-the-answer-to-solve-climate-change/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjvaYBhDlARIsAO8PkE2qVTBo_yZsyW7MyZjwAmy5BAywoEchHAdVSs38B7f5Ft2m3SohzdkaAggqEALw_wcB

And we reprocess that waste which eats nearly all.  That using ancient garbage nuclear reactors.  Not breeder reactors which literally eat 95% of said "waste" leaving only short term products.  All that before we talk Thorium breeder reactors eating even more leaving even lower length products. 

If you were honest, you would be putting up $$$ to produce a breeder reactor to eat said "nuclear waste" if you were actually "environmentally conscious"

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2022 at 7:34 AM, lexington green said:

Is that really what happens in the US???

In the UK we have 12 nuclear power station sites that are either decomissioned already or in the process of being decomissioned. The nuclear waste sludge (high, medium and low level) is collected and stored into flasks, these flasks can withstand a 100MPH train crash, they are then transported to Sellafield https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/sellafield-ltd who then reprocess the sludge and store the flasks safely. Wylfa site now has zero low, medium or high level waste whatsoever and the site can be re-used for a new nuclear facility.

Sellafield also take in nuclear waste from around the world

Sellafield received spent nuclear fuel from around the world to be reprocessed at its Thorp plant, generating £9 billion in revenue for the UK. Waste created during the process remains the property of overseas customers who are contractually obliged to take it back.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/all-foreign-owned-waste-at-sellafield-packaged-and-set-for-return#:~:text=Sellafield received spent nuclear fuel,obliged to take it back.

Maybe give Sellafield a call if you dont know what to do with yours!

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 9/20/2022 at 6:35 AM, Wombat One said:

So you admit that Russia needs a new name? How about "West Korea"?

This may escalate into a nuclear war between America, the West and Russia.  The Ukraine conflict doesn't involve you guys down under, so why do you need to poke your nose into it?  Since you are in a safe corner down south, far away from the conflict zone, why don't you just keep a low profile?  

Edited by Hotone

5 hours ago, Hotone said:

This may escalate into a nuclear war between America, the West and Russia.  The Ukraine conflict doesn't involve you guys down under, so why do you need to poke your nose into it?  Since you are in a safe corner down south, far away from the conflict zone, why don't you just keep a low profile?  

The South China Sea is a potential conflict zone. Australia needs the US and the coalition of Japan, Tawain, Viet Nam etc. They are called allies. England, Canada, Australia, Britain and the US have been tied at the hip in international politics for decades. 

11 minutes ago, Boat said:

The South China Sea is a potential conflict zone. Australia needs the US and the coalition of Japan, Tawain, Viet Nam etc. They are called allies. England, Canada, Australia, Britain and the US have been tied at the hip in international politics for decades. 

Oh, Ok.  That's acting against China but not Russia.  I was referring to this:

https://youtu.be/vWHduohxc9M 

I think the only way that Russia can win its war against the collective West is to use nuclear and biological weapons.

1 hour ago, Hotone said:

I think the only way that Russia can win its war against the collective West is to use nuclear and biological weapons.

If you call the earth dead a win. It’s a win. But no Russian would survive the win.

• Upvote 2

On 9/23/2022 at 3:43 AM, Wombat One said:

Hey you!  Mind your language and stay civil or else you will be kicked out of this forum again!  You should appreciate my kind advice for you to stay out of harm's way.  I don't wish you or Oz to be nuked.  I used to live in Cremone and Dee Why in North Sydney, and I have fond memories of the place.  I also have close relatives living in Australia. 

Your are partially right.  The Chinese should take out Pine Gap.  However, I don't think they will use their nukes.  Unlike America and Russia which have thousands of warheads, China only possess a few hundred.  China should reserve their nukes for high density targets.  From your photos, the Pine Gap spy farm, seems such a small place that a few hypersonic missiles with conventional bombs should be able to destroy it.

27 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

It sounds as though my govt needs to send your relatives back to Malaysia. Do they share your view that Pine Gap should be bombed? If so, that is treason of the highest order. 

10 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

Is that a threat? Maybe you are the one who needs to be booted from this site? There is nothing civil about advocating for a nuclear war. Australian troops were instrumental in saving Malaysia during WW2, and you would like to thank them by sending Chinese and perhaps North Korean nukes to "high-density" targets? Go suck Putin's nuts. If he has any.

Wombat - these sort of posts are uncalled for as abusive and, might I say, silly. Worse, they do not add to the debate. Please moderate your tone. 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, Wombat One said:

PS: I thought I was being very mild in comparison? If I wanted to be nasty, I could put Richie Rich to shame

No, you were being personal and it started with you. In any case, the idea is not to respond in kind. Leave it with you.  

On 9/21/2022 at 9:29 PM, Boat said:

On 9/21/2022 at 9:43 PM, Hotone said:

image.png.7174f9e5999d5676d1fa888075a39874.png

it is often easy to watch, provoke, when it is not our region affected.....Why are we suggesting slash hammer when we just need to crack an egg?

If the aim of this war is to show the world how easy manipulation of the majority can be done when a few born rich or clones of those, with imbecile relatives of a kind that infiltrate all businessmen and network are testing the water, it is very successful...

They are generally undeterred in the acts because we let them. We do not care to know more because it is none of our business. We do not care because it does not affect us. We do not care but pretend we do.

Years of going through the motion numbs us. We lose our mind, our heart, our humanity and our ability to solve simple things over time. Yet we feel very proud to be in some sort of regional based conspiracy, we believe we are a part of..... Eurozone, US zone, Eastern zone etc ......... Inferior traits take inferior measures. How have we regressed to allow inferiority getting so far.............

On 9/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, Wombat One said:

PS: I thought I was being very mild in comparison? If I wanted to be nasty, I could put Richie Rich to shame :)

it takes inheritable personal characteristics to be who we are........ From general point of view, a person can be nasty out of two possible conditions i.e.

1. snobbishness,

- who believe their miserable or disgruntled lives are fault of others, yet their good fortune gives them extra in life. Hence, they prone to pretend and have a tendency to mistreat others, especially the weaker kind or those whom they can overpower at ease.

image.png.657aa1fb22a3243edbd14269af0cd6bd.png

2. inferiority or lower self esteem,

- who believe they are below most and despicable is the only choice they can afford. They make others pay for their aims and miserable lives

image.png.7715d86b874e421714acd68cbef3c7a2.png

While exercising our rights to free speech, we must always examine our need to be nasty, especially on malicious personal attack. Some people deserve it; some don't...........

On 7/22/2022 at 3:05 AM, markslawson said:

Jay - no practical grid level storage is anywhere near commercial implementation aside from dams, as you well know (batteries don't count). There are plenty of suggestions and pilot projects, that may be what you're thinking of. I'm not sure why you thought pointing to wind droughts during summer did anything but reinforce my case, however you will recall that night also occurs in Summer as well as overcast days, and there is still no way to store the power on anything like the scale required, except for dams. As for your other remarks on wind droughts in the US - no something was said recently and I was hoping someone could point to the material. If you can't find the material it hardly matters, and certainly doesn't affect what I said. It is a matter for researchers to get busy and check the records. Hope that clarifies your thoughts on the matter.  

The cheapest option is a continent-wide HVDC network. On continental scale, there is always wind or sun somewhere. And sure, you might need a small (couple-of-days) energy storage facility, which could be dam or an underground H2 storage system. Other options need to be developed.

11 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

The cheapest option is a continent-wide HVDC network.

The HVDC option may offset a lot of volatility, it is true, and it may even be the cheapest option but it is a horribly expensive cheaper option. The one country trying this, as far as I know, is China. The trouble is that when the wind goes down it does so over a very wide area. Most of Europe for example.. I was just looking at research which shows that you get major high pressure systems over all of south Eastern Australia. Sure you could use HVDC to connect with, say, wave power on the West coast or whatever (one suggestion) but it is a VERY EXPENSIVE option. Cheap green electricity will not be cheap and all and probably not very green.  

8 hours ago, markslawson said:

The HVDC option may offset a lot of volatility, it is true, and it may even be the cheapest option but it is a horribly expensive cheaper option. The one country trying this, as far as I know, is China. The trouble is that when the wind goes down it does so over a very wide area. Most of Europe for example.. I was just looking at research which shows that you get major high pressure systems over all of south Eastern Australia. Sure you could use HVDC to connect with, say, wave power on the West coast or whatever (one suggestion) but it is a VERY EXPENSIVE option. Cheap green electricity will not be cheap and all and probably not very green.  

Mark what is the OZ government thinking on solar?

It strikes me that this is the obvious renewable source to go with as you have a lot of sun year round and massive areas of deserted land to build huge solar farms. Why the obsession with wind as this would be surely secondary to solar?

21 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

The cheapest option is a continent-wide HVDC network. On continental scale, there is always wind or sun somewhere. And sure, you might need a small (couple-of-days) energy storage facility, which could be dam or an underground H2 storage system. Other options need to be developed.

Why do you people pretend that by typing HVDC, you solve anything?   It is at most ~2% more efficient over VERY long distances.  That is all it does in the grand scheme of things.  On a smaller scale you only have to run 2 wires instead of 3 and by using a dipole can in effect ~double the voltage for free, with the big negative that the end points of HVDC are very vulnerable and require multi millions of $$$ to connect to the AC system + the additional problem that for a dipole to work it has to be balanced load conditions at all times.   

Continent scale does not help you as there is this thing called WINTER, you have no solar/wind for weeks at a time across a continent in scale with small intermittent bursts of wind followed by another couple of weeks of NOTHING. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Mark what is the OZ government thinking on solar?

There are plenty of solar projects, including rooftop solar. The problem is that rooftop solar is at its peak in the middle of the day and does not produce anything much at all for the evening peak. The obvious solution would be to store the power for use in the evening but, although there have been more suggestions for storage solutions than I can begin to count or remember, there are no cheap, cost effective ways to do it. Two Australia states have recently announced storage projects including two pumped hydro stores but these are grossly inadequate for what they want to do. Another, larger Federal government project called Snowy 2.0 is now at five times its original cost estimate (yep, five) and counting, and is still completely inadequate. One estimate is that the eastern grid will need at least six Snowys to keep the lights on 24/7. Disaster looms.    

3 hours ago, markslawson said:

There are plenty of solar projects, including rooftop solar. The problem is that rooftop solar is at its peak in the middle of the day and does not produce anything much at all for the evening peak. The obvious solution would be to store the power for use in the evening but, although there have been more suggestions for storage solutions than I can begin to count or remember, there are no cheap, cost effective ways to do it. Two Australia states have recently announced storage projects including two pumped hydro stores but these are grossly inadequate for what they want to do. Another, larger Federal government project called Snowy 2.0 is now at five times its original cost estimate (yep, five) and counting, and is still completely inadequate. One estimate is that the eastern grid will need at least six Snowys to keep the lights on 24/7. Disaster looms.    

What is sad is that Australia produces all the minerals for said batteries, yet refines NONE of them.  Just ships them out of the country like blithering fools at the lowest cost added benefit.... pure Brilliance!   Don't feel left out, my moron country effectively outlawed the refining of "rare earth minerals" in 1980(calling them same as Uranium... I kid you not) so now we SHIP ~60% of the worlds supply of rare earth minerals to China so they do the refining and holds the worlds balls giving them a nice squeeze every time someone steps out of line and ship them back in the form of magnets etc...  and then my idiot country MOOAANs that we are beholden to China for rare earth minerals... pure BRILLIANCE!!!

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:57 AM, Rob Plant said:

Is that really what happens in the US???

In the UK we have 12 nuclear power station sites that are either decomissioned already or in the process of being decomissioned. The nuclear waste sludge (high, medium and low level) is collected and stored into flasks, these flasks can withstand a 100MPH train crash, they are then transported to Sellafield https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/sellafield-ltd who then reprocess the sludge and store the flasks safely. Wylfa site now has zero low, medium or high level waste whatsoever and the site can be re-used for a new nuclear facility.

Sellafield also take in nuclear waste from around the world

Sellafield received spent nuclear fuel from around the world to be reprocessed at its Thorp plant, generating £9 billion in revenue for the UK. Waste created during the process remains the property of overseas customers who are contractually obliged to take it back.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/all-foreign-owned-waste-at-sellafield-packaged-and-set-for-return#:~:text=Sellafield received spent nuclear fuel,obliged to take it back.

Maybe give Sellafield a call if you dont know what to do with yours!

'..This has given rise to hundreds of radioactive waste sites in many countries that must be maintained and funded for at least 200,000 years, far beyond the lifetimes of any nuclear power plant.'

If so much gets "reprocessed", where did all these waste sites come from?  

20 minutes ago, lexington green said:

'..This has given rise to hundreds of radioactive waste sites in many countries that must be maintained and funded for at least 200,000 years, far beyond the lifetimes of any nuclear power plant.'

If so much gets "reprocessed", where did all these waste sites come from?  

Probably because the amount of re-processing sites are inadequate and there isnt enough skill or sites available to do it in most countries.