DD

Desperate Call or... Erdogan Says Turkey Will Boycott U.S. Electronics

(edited)

President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey will boycott electronic products from the United States, retaliating in a dispute with Washington that has helped drive the lira to record lows. he lira TRYTOM=D3 has lost more than 40 percent this year and crashed to an all-time low of 7.24 to the dollar early on Monday, hit by worries over Erdogan's calls for lower interest rates and worsening ties with the United States. The weakness of the Turkish currency has rippled through global markets. Its drop of as much as 18 percent on Friday hit U.S. and European stocks as investors fretted about banks’ exposure to Turkey. On Tuesday the lira recovered some ground, trading at 6.53 to the dollar.

Edited by damirUSBiH

Boycott, retaliate? C'mon RTE... Their chief concerns are housing, food, and medical care. Where is a Secular Turkey in which all Turks enjoy freedoms lost under present regime?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Turkish dictator will pay dearly for his unwise policies, ultimately.

• Like 1

So, Erdogan has a choice - russia'n electronics is sooooo much better...  

• Like 1

If we ignore the situation with the pastor ( last two weeks), the biggest problem for Turkey is authoritarianism of Erdogan in particular... And of course, like every dictator, Erdogan can't see reflection of his wrong moves...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The politicians are making wrong decisions and people are punished.

The last few days President RT Erdogan has been blaming everyone and everything except himself for the deteriorating economy. Verbal attacks and will just get Turkey into more trouble. It won't be a big surprise if next step from U.S. administration includes a ban for Turkish Airlines to fly to the U.S

What U.S. electronics? iPhones? I'm in no way supporting anything Erdogan does but, well, if you want electronics you get them from China, it's as simple as that.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

What U.S. electronics? iPhones? I'm in no way supporting anything Erdogan does but, well, if you want electronics you get them from China, it's as simple as that.

Not quite.  All kinds of aircraft electronics, for example, are manufactured in the USA. You would be surprised at just how big the US electronics industry is. 

19 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The US is responsible for about 5% of Turkey's imports (all imports, not just electronics). The US electronics industry is quite large, as @Jan van Eck said. But as far as how much of that is purchased by Turkey... probably not much (I don't have figures for that). Turkey is like.. our 32nd largest trading partner.

As for the iPhone specifically, they are very expensive there, and with the lira bottoming out, no one will be able to afford them anyway. They do have Apple stores in Turkey--I suspect Turkey will be hurt more by this than the US will, although as you suggest, Marina, Samsung will be happy to fill in for any Apple shortfalls. And hey, Samsungs are a better product anyway [ducks for cover], so maybe they'll learn to love them. 

Just another toothless threat. They can't afford to buy our crap right now anyway. 

• Like 1

I would be surprised if the electronics installed in airport traffic control towers are not all from the USA.  American radar?  The electronics in military jets?   "Electronics" is broader than TVs and phones.  

2 hours ago, rainman said:

The politicians are making wrong decisions and people are punished.

Well, one might say the people were quite aware of their own decisions.  In Turkey, this pastor is lucky the U.S. has taken up his cause, and I'm not sure Donald would take it up if the administration hadn't been fighting with Turkey for months about other, much larger issues.  I'm pretty sure the pastor knew the risks going in.  As for the Canadian/Saudi woman activist in Saudi Arabia, she absolutely knew the risks going in.  She was begging for a fight, as she has done with Saudi for years.  She got women's driving rights back and she has had her share of wins in Saudi court.  I can't find what it is she did this time, but I can actually picture the King throwing up his hands and saying enough of this woman!  And then Canada stepped into......it.  And then Canada started whining about nobody supporting "their" activist.  I so hope she comes out of this ok, though.  The new King is pretty unpredictable, so say the least.

14 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

"Electronics" is broader than TVs and phones.  

True. 

14 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

The electronics in military jets?   

Maybe. But since the US on Monday put a kibosh on 100 US fighter jets to Turkey, I'm guessing this is a moot as well--assuming Turkey follows through with its Russia-derived missile defense system that it has its eye on.

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Does the U.S. even make any phones?  The iPhone is made in China for sure, and soon to be India.  In fact, what electronics are made in the U.S.?

22 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

I would be surprised if the electronics installed in airport traffic control towers are not all from the USA.  American radar?  The electronics in military jets?   "Electronics" is broader than TVs and phones.  

You keep bringing up the aviation side, Jan, but those products, or lack thereof, will definitely hurt Turkey itself if they choose to stop buying.

I really don't know, Jan. Yeah, I know, electronics is not just consumer electronics but does the U.S. make any exclusive electronics that cannot be replaced by Turkey? From what Rodent says, it looks like it's not exactly the biggest U.S. electronics )or anything else) buyer in the world. Anyway, what's bugging Edrogan to start waving a fist in the face of Trump?

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2018 at 11:57 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

Anyway, what's bugging Edrogan to start waving a fist in the face of Trump?

Erdogan may be trying to blame Trump for the impending default cum bankruptcy of Turkey.

• Upvote 1

Oil on fire: According to Turkish media, Court rejects appeal for American pastor's release from detention...

Let us see how much Turkey can resisting the USA pressures. After Court's decision,  new set of sanctions will come.....

20 hours ago, Rodent said:

True. 

Maybe. But since the US on Monday put a kibosh on 100 US fighter jets to Turkey, I'm guessing this is a moot as well--assuming Turkey follows through with its Russia-derived missile defense system that it has its eye on.

Erdogan doesn't want our TV's or other appliances and gadgets.  Now, the fighter jets Rodent and Jan mentioned, bet your bottom they wont tariff those.  I wouldn't sell Turkey another single military asset.  Erdogan has eroded Turkey in a relatively short time, plunging them back into a repressive theocracy.  Mr. Erdogan needs to prove he's a true friend and legitimate NATO ally.

• Upvote 2

You guys really make me laugh. It;s easy to criticise another countries dictator, when in fact the biggest dictator in the world at the moment is your own president. And you voted for him, at least you can vote for your own dictator I suppose, Bravo!

2 hours ago, Leko said:

You guys really make me laugh. It;s easy to criticise another countries dictator, when in fact the biggest dictator in the world at the moment is your own president. And you voted for him, at least you can vote for your own dictator I suppose, Bravo!

Yes, it is easy to criticize another countries dictator.  Our President was ELECTED.  In 4 years, he may very well not be re-elected.  Can the same be said for Turkey.  Or any other similarly governed nation.

Its common for people to view leadership they don’t agree with as dictatorial.  Especially on the heels of a leader who was the exact opposite flitzing about the world as the Great Apologizer, leading from the rear.  

Make no mistake, the current administration is about America.  Selfish? Perhaps.  Unpalatable? Sometimes, for some.  Many countries and people are struggling with the resetting of the clock and what their roles or responsibilities will be moving forward and they don’t like it.  But then, it’s not human nature to quietly stand by when your benefactor pulls the plug on the gravy train and requires more from the beneficiary, is it?  

I don’t know where you hail from but if your people elect leaders in regular, free, elections then BRAVO.  We do.  

If you don’t like our current leadership and I assume your not an American, I encourage you to vote your conscience and immediately boycott any benefit, direct or indirect, that comes from the U.S.A and demand your own country immediately step up fill the gap and do better.

TXPower

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2