PP

Newspaper Editorials Across U.S. Rebuke Trump For Attacks On Press

Hundreds of U.S. newspapers on Thursday launched a coordinated defense of press freedom and a rebuke of President Donald Trump for denouncing some media organizations as enemies of the American people. The Boston Globe and the New York Times took part along with more than 350 other newspapers of all sizes, including some in states that Trump won during the 2016 presidential election. The Globe said it coordinated publication among the newspapers and carried details of it on a database on its website. President Trump has frequently criticized journalists and described news reports that contradict his opinion or policy positions as fake news.

“We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

John F. Kennedy
February 26, 1962 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ancestors knew the importance of a free press and made it essential to the functioning of U.S. To consider the press as an enemy is a redefinition of the American ideal.

There is a big difference between objective and subjective facts, truths and lies, censorship and freedom. U.S. is an open society and the foundation of freedom of the media. And, criticism is an integral part of journalism. I just want factual unbiased news from the media...that’s all, it doesn't matter against whom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, franco said:

“We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

John F. Kennedy
February 26, 1962 

As Socrates once wisely said: “News be news.”

11 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

Ancestors knew the importance of a free press and made it essential to the functioning of U.S.

I Agree.

11 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

To consider the press as an enemy is a redefinition of the American ideal.

I disagree.  Has no one ever lied to you before?  At the very least it is  your's, mine, and Don Trump's right to question ANYTHING.  At the most it is your's, mine, and his OBLIGATION towards the social contract ...no such thing as a free lunch.   I assume you are a U.S. citizen, apologies if I was incorrect.

• Like 1

300+  of the total number? Hmmm.. Sounds like a clash of media 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

Ancestors knew the importance of a free press and made it essential to the functioning of U.S. To consider the press as an enemy is a redefinition of the American ideal.

Anyone who lies to you, by act, omission or manipulation of facts  is your enemy.  The MSM is no longer a free press.  They are chained to regressive-liberal ideology which they dutifully serve irrespective of truth or facts.  The MSM’s behavior, especially over the last 20 years, has been an enemy of the American people.  There are no Woodward and Bernstein’s in this group.  If there were we wouldn’t hear Obama or his cronies remark that his administration was scandal free.....

TXPower

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

I disagree.  Has no one ever lied to you before?  At the very least it is  your's, mine, and Don Trump's right to question ANYTHING.  At the most it is your's, mine, and his OBLIGATION towards the social contract ...no such thing as a free lunch.   I assume you are a U.S. citizen, apologies if I was incorrect.

Of course, everyone has a right to question about everything -  and the media must be responsible for what they say. But, political function is something that implies the attention of the media. This position, as well as the function of the media  must have the responsibility for each word, sentence or act... If someone is telling lies, you can always engage a Lawyer to protect your rights... 

4 hours ago, Pavel said:

Hundreds of U.S. newspapers on Thursday launched a coordinated defense of press freedom and a rebuke of President Donald Trump for denouncing some media organizations as enemies of the American people.

A vast majority of the "free press" in the US is owned by large conglomerates who publish news with an agenda in mind.  It has been that way for the last 50+ years.  The closest thing we have ever seen that could be considered "free" was the world wide web, but google is quickly putting an end to that as well.  Back in July when Facebook attempted to prevent this freedom from being restricted, Mark was accused of being a nazi. 

So much for your "freedom of the press."  

3 hours ago, 50 shades of black said:

As the press becomes more and more a slave to the dollar, it becomes less and less free, and more and more an enemy of the American ideal.  Their slavery to the dollar is what causes the US press to produce trash like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Fo_wW8I9M

Also, remember to take your blue pill and gave a nice day. ;)

• Like 3

Politics has been a full contact sport since day one. The competing news and opinions of the press are no different. Drop your thin skin and read as much as you can on both sides of any issue and apply common sense knowing news without spin is rare. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Presented without comment, for your consideration:

Tompkins: Nationwide Anti-Trump Editorial Blitz Just More Proof Journalists Don't Listen

Tompkins brings a common-sense perspective, likely echoing what most average Americans might be thinking right now, ultimately concluding of the breathless headlines now promising 350 "pro-journalism editorials" that it'll be little more than the usual self-congratulatory and meaningless noise that many Americans have come to expect from the mainstream press.

He rains on their parade and predicts:

So the editorials Thursday will create a lot of chatter. Trump backers will call journalists whiners and journalists will counter-attack. Twitter and cable news will have a ball with it all.

And Friday morning we will be right where we were this morning. 

And crucially Tompkins, himself a prominent longtime educator of journalists across the nation, says that journalists as a collective profession have gotten so much disastrously wrong yet remain intransigent, and the American people understand this well.

He says:

Lots of journalists were surprised after the 2016 election. We vowed to listen to the public more, to find out why we were so surprised to hear that the public didn't love journalists and a growing number didn't believe us.

If that point didn't win the relatively establishment commentator Tompkins any more friends among the liberal outrage-fueled mainstream, the following is the money shot:

Before you publish your editorials extolling the virtues of journalism, ask yourself: How are you doing with that listening tour? How have you changed because of what you learned? How willing are you to be changed by discourse?

Whatever you write in your editorials, are you willing to listen, too?

Shockingly common-sense and truthful words coming from the heart of establishment journalism... We find ourselves surprised to say on these points, we couldn't agree more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Presented without comment, for your consideration:

Tompkins: Nationwide Anti-Trump Editorial Blitz Just More Proof Journalists Don't Listen

Tompkins brings a common-sense perspective, likely echoing what most average Americans might be thinking right now, ultimately concluding of the breathless headlines now promising 350 "pro-journalism editorials" that it'll be little more than the usual self-congratulatory and meaningless noise that many Americans have come to expect from the mainstream press.

He rains on their parade and predicts:

So the editorials Thursday will create a lot of chatter. Trump backers will call journalists whiners and journalists will counter-attack. Twitter and cable news will have a ball with it all.

And Friday morning we will be right where we were this morning. 

And crucially Tompkins, himself a prominent longtime educator of journalists across the nation, says that journalists as a collective profession have gotten so much disastrously wrong yet remain intransigent, and the American people understand this well.

He says:

Lots of journalists were surprised after the 2016 election. We vowed to listen to the public more, to find out why we were so surprised to hear that the public didn't love journalists and a growing number didn't believe us.

If that point didn't win the relatively establishment commentator Tompkins any more friends among the liberal outrage-fueled mainstream, the following is the money shot:

Before you publish your editorials extolling the virtues of journalism, ask yourself: How are you doing with that listening tour? How have you changed because of what you learned? How willing are you to be changed by discourse?

Whatever you write in your editorials, are you willing to listen, too?

Shockingly common-sense and truthful words coming from the heart of establishment journalism... We find ourselves surprised to say on these points, we couldn't agree more.

Nailed it.

TXPower

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Top comment on the link:

"They are just proving Trump's point."

Ha!

So, how do you tell whether the media is reporting actual news or just more propaganda?  Well, one of the best ways is to have a clear understanding of propaganda is so you will better recognize it when you see it:

Hitler's "primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."  -A Psychological Analysis of Adolph Hitler: His Life and Legend, by Walter C. Langer, a report prepared during the war by the United States Office of Strategic Services.

The part about repetition is actually more powerful than most would initially imagine.  Often, a repeated statement, though false, if repeated enough, can become more convincing even than a peer-reviewed source mentioned only a few times.  The mechanics behind this are a bit complected.  It involves the subconscious, the co-workings of the dual hemispheres of the brain (see: split-brain Joe), and how the mind is triggered to recall memories (via a storage system that is magnitudes more powerful than any DRAM drive we have today).  The science of repetition, if you delve deep enough into it, becomes quite frightening, and in its present form, it goes all the way back to Franz Mesmer.  That is the guy who gave us the word mesmerize...yeah, that Franz.  Of course, Franz isn't the first to use these techniques, he just brought them into the limelight.  

Beware the repetition.  It is more powerful than you think.  

One of the best ways to guard against its influence over your subconscious hemisphere is this:

2 hours ago, Boat said:

Drop your thin skin and read as much as you can on both sides

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Epic said:

The part about repetition is actually more powerful than most would initially imagine.  Often, a repeated statement, though false, if repeated enough, can become more convincing even than a peer-reviewed source mentioned only a few times.  The mechanics behind this are a bit complected.  It involves the subconscious, the co-workings of the dual hemispheres of the brain (see: split-brain Joe), and how the mind is triggered to recall memories (via a storage system that is magnitudes more powerful than any DRAM drive we have today).  The science of repetition, if you delve deep enough into it, becomes quite frightening, and in its present form, it goes all the way back to Franz Mesmer.  That is the guy who gave us the word mesmerize...yeah, that Franz.  Of course, Franz isn't the first to use these techniques, he just brought them into the limelight.  

Beware the repetition.  It is more powerful than you think.  

right-o. I made this point a few weeks ago in reference to the climate change saga. but honestly people can't be bothered to conduct due diligence.its just "tell me what I need to know and tell me how I should feel about it". 

we live in a fast food world,  and everything is just a bit too easy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rodent said:

we live in a fast food world,  and everything is just a bit too easy. 

Probably not for long though.  Here's one of my favorite kick-in-the-pants motivation articles from a while ago:

Preparing for Zombie Apocalypse for less than $1,200 in just one weekend

Little money?  Big fear?   

You may have already read my ZH article... 

...Guide for Those with Much Money and Very Little Patience Whom Want to Prepare for Zombie Apocalypse But Are Afraid to Google It For Fear of DHS Labeling Them A Terrorist.  There are some unique aspects to this Guide.  First, because it is for Those with Much Money, it assumes you can afford to drop as much as $25,000 and thus save much time by not trying to do things on the cheap.  Second, because it is for Those with...Very Little Patience, it makes no attempt to explain the rationale behind each recommendation.  One can complete the entire Guide within a couple of months, thus allowing you to put this fear out of your mind and move on to much more productive worries, except for fitness.  Regular exercise should really become a habit for the duration of your life. 

1207124864_WP_20170724_17_04_26_Rich(2)_0.jpg.be1aa621ce3ec3fabbeedabc593c675d.jpg

These two professional voters were literally stuck in this gutter.  Pathetic.  What are they going to do?  Call AAA?

Good article.  It does go some distance in repairing my own hope for the future of journalism.  Much of it is also good advice for the rest of us as well.  I just hope that many of the journos did not take his message to mean that they needed to tone their editorials in such a way as to educate us, the readers/consumers, on how we need to keep our minds open to their plight alone.  That would result in the editorials being written in the condescending tone of enlightening the reader/consumer to defend the journo's right to continue on as they are.  I don't believe Tompkins meant for it to be taken that way; I believe his message to the journos was that they were at least somewhat to blame for their current predicament, and that they should take this special opportunity to start repairing their own journalistic integrity.

Donald Trump is absolutely effective in firing up the journos to challenge him about the most pesky things, and thus manipulating them to lose focus of other, more serious issues.  I have said from early in the Trump administration:  If the President openly claims that your journalism is fake, false, biased (whatever), then you should produce work that convinces us, the readers/consumers, that your work speaks for itself.  Attacks on the President do not prove to me that your work is anything more than what the President is claiming.  Solid journalism does.  The President's integrity, apparent morals, honesty, character and ethics DO need to be pointed out to the rest of the world, keep doing it from time to time.  But in the meantime, dig down and get the news that matters and report that, with facts, not opinions.  I am perfectly capable of establishing my own opinion after having been presented with different angles and facts.  I don't need Jim Acosta telling me what my opinion should be, no more that I need the President telling me the same.

After I finished reading the Tompkins article, I scrolled on down to the comments to see how it was received.  Based on the comments, I'd say that those readers only read the headline and went straight to the comments sections to attack the media, totally ignoring what Tompkins has written.  Examples:

Right off the top, the article shows the author is a purveyor of FAKE NEWS. He writes that Trump says, "...the press is the enemy of the people." Trump did NOT say that; he says that the "fake news media" is the enemy of the people. And any news outlet that puts out fake news/lies is indeed the enemy of the people. The author goes on to say that Trump says, "Tariffs are good, immigrants are bad..." This is a lie. Trump wants free trade and has pressed for no tariffs, but is using tariffs to get to a level playing field. If other countries end their unfair trade practices, Trump will get rid of the tariffs. He doesn't say "immigrants are bad," he says illegal immigration is bad, and correctly points out that some illegal immigrants commit terrible crimes on American citizens. The author likely knows he is spreading lies. That's why I quit reading the article after paragraph ten. Goodbye!

•Reply•Share ›
Steve of Unknown Kadath  Dave Coleman • 2 days ago
These people believe themselves the totality of the First Amendment, and thus an identification of their incompetence and dishonesty is an attack on free speech.

•Reply•Share ›
This comment was deleted.

ChicoCDM  Guest • 2 days ago
You are right! Virtually EVERY single media outlet that didn't actively campaign for it are celebrating the banning of Infowars News and Alex Jones.

•Reply•Share ›
britain  ChicoCDM • 2 days ago
Every single tyranny known to human kind started with censorship and ended with genocide.

•Reply•Share ›
CrazyHungarian  britain • 2 days ago
News sources being totally biased and pushing one sided propaganda is the worst form of censorship.

•Reply•Share ›

A/S  britain • 2 days ago
I’d suggest the news start stating the truth and not their version of it with lying by omission and wordsmithing to sell what is easily refutable. Alex Jones, crazy as he is, was censored but that was not by the government..

• Upvote 2