Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AV

Will The Model 3 Make or Break Tesla?

Demand for Tesla’s entry-level car is high but the firm is struggling with production and taking big financial hits. How will it end for Tesla? 

Tesla is having big problems with Model 3. The production of this car is going slower than expected. They are three months behind schedule. 

Every day all we hear about is Tesla did this, Tesla did that. But  it seems like they are trying to get our attention away from problems in this company. 

Tesla lost a lot of money at the very beginning of the production because they were rushing to get this model on the market as soon as possible. That's why this model is crucial for them. 

I agree. Now investors are considering whether to continue to fund Tesla or not. Even that will depend on the progress of the Model 3. 

What progress? Better say trouble. That is what follows Tesla right now if we could believe to Wall Street firm KeyBanc. And they are predicting Model 3 margin ramp will disappoint. "Investors will have to acknowledge no [Model] S/X growth at some point, which is not reflected in the shares."

Tesla's Model 3 crossed North America from Los Angeles to New York in record time, in 50 hours, 10 minutes and 32 seconds. And who did hold the previous record? Tesla's Model S, of course, who else. 

It seems that Tesla has another problem with Model 3.  According to one of car owners, the automatically activated windshield wipers are flinging water onto them when opening the door. 

The car wash would be a great test :)

I hate automatic . I love my old car with manual wipers. On when I want, with the speed I want and off when I want.

As far as I know, all cars with rain sensing wipers can be set to off manually or any of the various intervals you are already used to. 

"I sure do love" cars that need constant fixes and updates.

I assume you have designed one and manufactured. Can't wait to see it. Where can I look for it ? :) Can I call you Pera The Expert,hahaha

Very funny, Pav. I will let you know when I finish " the project"...

Why would wipers get turned on when the door opens? Shouldn’t they go on once the car is turned on? 

Yes, the car turns on when you use your key card to unlock it, or when the car senses you are near it because you have your phone (which it’s connected to) with you, or if you open the door.  Tesla just has to disable that wiper cycle, or disable the wipers all together if the door is open.

We didn't have to wait too much for another improvement on Model 3. Elon Musk promised that drivers will be able to do "pretty much anything" via voice controls. This happened after an expression of concern about safety by requiring drivers to spend too much time looking at and touching the control screen. 

That would be nice. At least we wouldn't have to stare at the screen all the time while driving. 

Wouldn't that be distracting as much as the control screen. What if I don't pronounce English correctly? Will  it understand my command? And while waiting and watching to be sure it understood me, I would probably look at the screen anyway for confirmation and be distracted from driving. 

Yeah, if Siri or text to speech is any indication... we're in trouble.