(edited)

The revival of coal-fired power plants

Despite being dubbed as the dirtiest of all fossil fuels, the revival of coal-fired power stations is accelerating as the power companies have been forced to walk the tight rope of meeting the demand while keeping the costs to a minimum.

The statistics from the IEA, International Energy Agency, clearly show the revival of power stations in question in the post-pandemic world.

Please read here for more on this:

Edited by hemanthaa@mail.com
typo

Overall power generation in China increased by 4.2% in the first seven months, but coal-fired generation fell by 1.2%. On the other hand, power generation from solar, wind, oil, and hydropower all grew by double digits compared to the same period of 2021, as the renewables rollout continued. Meanwhile, record-setting coal and gas prices resulted in declines in those two electricity-generating fuels.

(edited)

On 9/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, Rob Plant said:

China’s ambitious rooftop solar pilot helps drive ‘blistering’ capacity growth

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/07/14/chinas-ambitious-rooftop-solar-pilot-helps-drive-blistering-capacity-growth/

🤣😆  Yea, working term: Capacity... not power!  🤡  Keep posting!

China is literally the worst place on earth for rooftop solar...   Not named the North/south pole.... Here is their pop density China pop density...Even Scotland has as much "solar potential" as most of China's "roofs".   That is how piss poor such an idea is.   If it wasn't for the fact I got my solar panels essentially for free and did all the work myself, living here in Western Washington State with a pathetic ~1100 hours/year of solar "potential"(I have never reached this level yet) even I have better solar potential than most of the people living in China and better economics where I would have a "payback" period if I bought new of over 40 years even if I did the work myself. 

Keep the comics coming man!  🤡

You, Jay and nosconce can have a party together!

• Upvote 1

Coal is cheap and abundant on several continents, we should be burning the hell out of it!

The United States has over 100 years supply and yet it sits underground. Just like Rare Earth Minerals the same applies to the United States, yet we dig it up and previously shipped to the Satanic Chinese to process , fortunately the United States has two very rich deposits and are finally ramping up processing.

Any Country that doesn’t use what they have an abundance of 2022 provided the reason why you should and must depend upon a local source and supply. 

Globalization was all wrong and allowed multiple companies and individuals to make all the money and forge the most important aspects of the world to just a handful.

Companies like BLACKROCK should be broken up.

4 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

Coal is cheap and abundant on several continents, we should be burning the hell out of it!

The United States has over 100 years supply and yet it sits underground. Just like Rare Earth Minerals the same applies to the United States, yet we dig it up and previously shipped to the Satanic Chinese to process , fortunately the United States has two very rich deposits and are finally ramping up processing.

Any Country that doesn’t use what they have an abundance of 2022 provided the reason why you should and must depend upon a local source and supply. 

Globalization was all wrong and allowed multiple companies and individuals to make all the money and forge the most important aspects of the world to just a handful.

Companies like BLACKROCK should be broken up.

Coal is outrageously expensive everywhere, reality does not phase you does it?

image.png.9eafb6d006ce808b04f65276c2159cb9.png

• Great Response! 1

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Not in the USA its not.  Nor in China or anyone else who has coal.  Just international buyers for a short period of time who now have to restart their coal long term contracts.  Lack of planning/foresight to plan on rainy days is a Bitch eh?

2 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Not in the USA its not.  Nor in China or anyone else who has coal.  Just international buyers for a short period of time who now have to restart their coal long term contracts.  Lack of planning/foresight to plan on rainy days is a Bitch eh?

depends where you live 

https://data.nasdaq.com/data/EIA/COAL-us-coal-prices-by-region

https://www.eia.gov/coal/markets/

Once again... Spot prices are not reality.    Works on long term contracts, not spot pricing.  Now I am sure some idiot out there is running their coal plant on spot prices...With exports not rising, prices of long term coal contracts aren't going anywhere.

Agreed long term contracts wont be affected, however there were fewer and fewer of these being taken up over the last 2-3 years so current market prices are having an effect now.

In 2019/20 only 14.8% of coal producers sold under agreements that had 5 or more years left on them, those too are coming to an end in a couple of years.

Long-term contracts still eluding coal sector as short-term deals dominate

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/long-term-contracts-still-eluding-coal-sector-as-short-term-deals-dominate-59240348

14 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Only because the greenies caused it to be vilified in the last 10 years and many mines shut down. You reopen and start dumping millions of tons on the market and the price will drop like a rock.

Your graphics do not have the Country listed, if you are talking about the EU or Australia then you are short-sighted, the EU stopped mining, and Australia was exporting to China and they have a rift between them that China has quietly lifted.

In the United States, it's less than $30.00 a ton, I am not seeing that in your graph.

I swear you throw the most useless and stupid shit out there that you can find.

23 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

Only because the greenies caused it to be vilified in the last 10 years and many mines shut down. You reopen and start dumping millions of tons on the market and the price will drop like a rock.

Your graphics do not have the Country listed, if you are talking about the EU or Australia then you are short-sighted, the EU stopped mining, and Australia was exporting to China and they have a rift between them that China has quietly lifted.

In the United States, it's less than $30.00 a ton, I am not seeing that in your graph.

I swear you throw the most useless and stupid shit out there that you can find.

Coal spot prices from selected basins [$/short ton]

image.png.eadef03c6fed537a655d1de2eb928e77.png

These coal prices are the highest seen in the US in the last decade. Illinois Basin coal, which for 10 years had spot prices under $60 per short ton, now has a spot price of $190.25 per short ton.

You are talking export, not for use inside the lower 48 states. 

Again, get your use of graphics right and stop paste and post.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Boat said:

Overall power generation in China increased by 4.2% in the first seven months, but coal-fired generation fell by 1.2%. On the other hand, power generation from solar, wind, oil, and hydropower all grew by double digits compared to the same period of 2021, as the renewables rollout continued. Meanwhile, record-setting coal and gas prices resulted in declines in those two electricity-generating fuels.

Got it, So why is China still opening and operating about 10 new coal-fired plants per week?

I suppose we all are to believe that by 2030 they will meet the accords filed in Paris.

China cheats, steals, reverse engineers, and says it's their own!

(edited)

17 hours ago, RichieRich216 said:

You are talking export, not for use inside the lower 48 states. 

Again, get your use of graphics right and stop paste and post.

No those are internal US coal prices. I note the complete lack of evidence you have provided for your claim. You really hate the fact that I "paste and post" actual evidence to support my claims instead of just making things up like you do.

Here is some more "paste and post" for you. This is from back in April, the price is now much higher:

U.S. Coal Prices Top $100 a Ton for First Time Since 2008

Edited by Jay McKinsey

On 9/15/2022 at 2:56 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Once again... Spot prices are not reality.    Works on long term contracts, not spot pricing.  Now I am sure some idiot out there is running their coal plant on spot prices...With exports not rising, prices of long term coal contracts aren't going anywhere.

So Europe is ok because of long term contracts? Can you list all of Europes contracts so we can math a timeline. You’ll be famous.