California Generating So Much Renewable Energy, It’s About To Take a Break

California’s solar energy production has surged so much that the state might be taking a break from new renewable projects beginning next month. Currently, California is regularly shunting electricity to Arizona and other states, sometimes paying them to do so, just to avoid overloading its own current lines. Sounds like a good problem to have!

https://www.zmescience.com/science/california-renewable-energy-18082018/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What they need is a mix of additional storage and wind and maybe even some out of state solar that has a different generation profile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why the upcoming massive investment in grid storage will pay off. The grid-storage year-on-year growth rate is super high, and in particular California is looking into plans to start getting rid of even natural gas plants, requiring lots of grid storage.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BlackTortoise said:

California is looking into plans to start getting rid of even natural gas plants,

Um ... just .... I don't even ... 

Yeah, good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sofia said:

 Currently, California is regularly shunting electricity to Arizona and other states, sometimes paying them to do so, just to avoid overloading its own current lines. Sounds like a good problem to have!

No, paying someone else to take your electricity sounds like a very bad problem to have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very unbalanced system. Wind and solar is a great 10~15% solution, but without breakthroughs in storage and time-load shifting, it doesn't make economic sense. It probably will one day, but not today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:43 AM, Sofia said:

California’s solar energy production has surged so much that the state might be taking a break from new renewable projects beginning next month. Currently, California is regularly shunting electricity to Arizona and other states, sometimes paying them to do so, just to avoid overloading its own current lines. Sounds like a good problem to have!

https://www.zmescience.com/science/california-renewable-energy-18082018/

As Rodent and John Foote have observed the California problem with renewables is a bad one to have. Germany has a similar problem in that they can't shut down brown coal plants when the wind blows (they can be shut down - but restarting them takes a whole day so they don't dare). Germany then dumps its excess power on Poland and the Czech Republic who have been complaining to the EU about this new form of German aggression. Its messing up their grids. Without some form of storage non-hydro renewables are inherently grossly inefficient. Taking them beyond 10-15 per cent of supply, as John Foote, has observed, without a lot of hydro on the system, is asking for trouble.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites