Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZL

Social media's war against "Fakies"

"Fake news" became 2017's word of the year, according to dictionary publisher Collins. And now one of President Donald Trump's favorite phrases has inspired him to announce "awards" in the same vein.

3 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

As U.S. mid-term elections near, social media giants say they have discovered and banned hundreds of accounts, groups and pages linked to Russia and Iran in a move intended to (belatedly) guard against political interference. 

https://safehaven.com/tech/internet/Social-Media-Giants-Crack-Down-On-Global-Info-War.html

social media should be banned altogether. or we cancel elections due the stupid voters since they were influenced by 13 Russian nerds

• Like 1

Just now, Meanwhile said:

social media should be banned altogether. or we cancel elections due the stupid voters since they were influenced by 13 Russian nerds

so true

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

As U.S. mid-term elections near, social media giants say they have discovered and banned hundreds of accounts, groups and pages linked to Russia and Iran in a move intended to (belatedly) guard against political interference. 

https://safehaven.com/tech/internet/Social-Media-Giants-Crack-Down-On-Global-Info-War.html

Twitter's ToS bans the creation of "fake" accounts (without defining what a fake account is). Is that the reason why we almost only hear about facebook and twitter, because they are the only sites where such activities violate the ToS? Or do Americans spend most of their online time on those two sites?

4 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

we deserve it all

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Nobody in government did a thing about it over the last two years. It's kinda like infrastructure.

11 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

This is great news. US voters should read more books, talk to real people and stop being educated by internet.

President James Uwongo,
Covfefe Palace,
Covfefe, Republic of Nambia

17 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Facebook just banned Myanmar military accounts 

6 hours ago, Meanwhile said:

I'm aware there are problems.  Do you have any suggestions for solutions?  I'm betting you do, please share.

My suggestion is to question everything.  Ask yourself, "why is this person telling me this?"  What is their agenda?  This is nothing new, people have been lying to one another since the creation of communication, not the creation of the internet.

So it's not going to go away, I tell my kids it's up to them to question, ask why, and determine the truth for themselves.  Don't assume something is true because some one said it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

I'm aware there are problems.  Do you have any suggestions for solutions?  I'm betting you do, please share.

My suggestion is to question everything.  Ask yourself, "why is this person telling me this?"  What is their agenda?  This is nothing new, people have been lying to one another since the creation of communication, not the creation of the internet.

So it's not going to go away, I tell my kids it's up to them to question, ask why, and determine the truth for themselves.  Don't assume something is true because some one said it.

I agree with you about asking those questions. However, those are self aware questions for 4th graders and we are talking about adults here, voting adults

paraphrasing here, believe it was Confucius.

Question:  When is the best time to plant a tree?

Ans: 20 years ago.

Question: When is the 2nd best time to plant a tree?

Ans.  Right Now.

If they didn't learn it in 4th grade, well it's still important to know, and now seems like the 2nd best time.  We can help others learn, if we want to.   Do you want to help?

• Like 1