rainman

Trump accuses Google Of Hiding 'Fair Media' Coverage of him

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Google’s search engine was hiding “fair media” coverage of him, without providing evidence, and said he would address the situation, although he gave no details. In a pair of tweets, Trump said Google search results for “Trump News” showed only the reporting of what he terms fake news media.
“They have it RIGGED, for me & others,” he said, blaming Google, part of Alphabet Inc, for what he said was dangerous action that promoted mainstream media outlets such as CNN and suppressed conservative political voices.
Google have no respond, for now.

You can’t hide what doesn’t exist!

• Upvote 2

It's easy to explain how search algorithms work. Search any news and you’ll see he’s all over the place on Google

After all,  Google will probably be obey, like they plan to obey the Chinese government in censoring content.

Reminder: Google results are tailored to reflect your browsing history - in other words this could suggests that President Trump spends a lot of time reading “Fake News Media”...

• Like 1

He has the best people in the world paid to do is analytical studies for him. Why would a company like CNN with bad ratings come up as No1 on as many searches as they do? Sometimes I have to push through 10 non-related articles to find the one I want using exact keywords even.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Petar said:

Reminder: Google results are tailored to reflect your browsing history - in other words this could suggests that President Trump spends a lot of time reading “Fake News Media”...

Petar, we all know your statement is true because we all know that Google is completely honest and is never ever biased in any way possible.  We can prove it, too.  Just do a quick google search for "American Inventor."  You could even narrow your search by typing "White American inventor" (just in case).

...totally unbiased and completely accurate search results every time.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pavel said:

You can’t hide what doesn’t exist!

You actually think there is no positive media coverage of Trump?  Seriously ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Petar said:

Well, that's what they say, but it doesn't work too well for me.  If I want to find ANY article that just tells the facts, for example what is contained in the new agreement with Mexico, I have to go to specific websites to find out.  Everything else that is presented to me, either from the Google news page or a search, is heavily opinionated, usually against trump with no facts to back up the opinions.  Just my experience.

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Well, that's what they say, but it doesn't work too well for me.  If I want to find ANY article that just tells the facts, for example what is contained in the new agreement with Mexico, I have to go to specific websites to find out.  Everything else that is presented to me, either from the Google news page or a search, is heavily opinionated, usually against trump with no facts to back up the opinions.  Just my experience.

/begin rant/

And you know what?  I don't need the damn opinions.  That is not what I want.  It is condescending to give me some blowhard's opinion.  I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions, thank you very much!  Since when did I need a news reader to give me their opinions?  Never, that's when.

/end of rant/

• Like 2

Google fires back at Trump: You're wrong, our search results have zero bias 

"When users type queries into the Google Search bar, our goal is to make sure they receive the most relevant answers in a matter of seconds," a Google spokesperson said in a statement. "Search is not used to set a political agenda and we don't bias our results toward any political ideology," the statement continues. "Every year, we issue hundreds of improvements to our algorithms to ensure they surface high-quality content in response to users' queries. We continually work to improve Google Search and we never rank search results to manipulate political sentiment."

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

/begin rant/

And you know what?  I don't need the damn opinions.  That is not what I want.  It is condescending to give me some blowhard's opinion.  I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions, thank you very much!  Since when did I need a news reader to give me their opinions?  Never, that's when.

/end of rant/

New textbook claims Trump supporters are racist and may be used to teach history to high school students next year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

“There are specific parts where it goes off the rails from a historical textbook toward an op-ed,” Snyder said.

“It was really, really surprising to me,” she said. “I really believe that learning should be objective and that students can make their own decisions based on what they’re able to learn in a classroom, and if the facts are skewed then students aren’t able to make well-rounded decisions on what they believe.”

• Like 1

Facebook Engineer's Stunning Admission: "We Tear Down Posters Welcoming Trump Supporters"

...  According to a memo posted on Facebook's internal message board titled "We Have a Problem With Political Diversity", and which was published by the New York Times, senior Facebook engineer Brian Amerige confirmed Trump's allegation writing that "we are a political monoculture that’s intolerant of different views" and shockingly admitted that "we claim to welcome all perspectives, but are quick to attack — often in mobs — anyone who presents a view that appears to be in opposition to left-leaning ideology. We throw labels that end in *obe and *ist at each other, attacking each other’s character rather than their ideas."

The scathing indictment of Facebook's liberal "mono-culture" continues:

We do this so consistently that employees are afraid to say anything when they disagree with what’s around them  politically. HR has told me that this is not a rare concern, and I’ve personally gotten over a hundred messages to that effect. Your colleagues are afraid because they know that they — not their ideas — will be attacked. They know that all the talk of “openness to different perspectives” does not apply to causes of “social justice,” immigration, “diversity”, and “equality.” On this issues, you can either keep quiet or sacrifice your reputation and career.

"These are not fears without cause" Amerige writes, and continues the stunning disclosure of the company's biased culture, "Because we tear down posters welcoming Trump supporters. We regularly propose removing Thiel from our board because he supported Trump. We’re quick to suggest firing people who turn out to be misunderstood, and even quicker to conclude our colleagues are bigots. We have made “All Lives Matter” a fireable offense. We put Palmer Luckey through a witch hunt because he paid for anti-Hillary ads. 

• Like 1

What a whiny little snowflake. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 8:23 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Who is surprised by this?  50 years ago in grade school teachers were surreptitiously recommending "the little red schoolbook" and being disapproving / hateful if you did a book report, which they SAID could be on anything, on anything by Ayn Rand.

Warfare by indoctrination has been the norm in this country and worldwide for centuries.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2018 at 2:59 PM, Dan Warnick said:

Reporting back to simply say that since I made the comment above (or was it something the President said?) my Google content has changed drastically.  I mean drastically.  Since the 29th, when I made the comment above, I am getting loads of content that more realistically covers information that I am interested in reading about, and it is the kind that appears to be fact based.  Has anyone else noticed this?

We might as well be in Beijing ...

Next, a US version of China's new Piyao platform that filters out what the state deems to be 'fake' news? I.e., a 'positive coverage' filter?

• Like 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Reporting back to simply say that since I made the comment above (or was it something the President said?) my Google content has changed drastically.  I mean drastically.  Since the 29th, when I made the comment above, I am getting loads of content that more realistically covers information that I am interested in reading about, and it is the kind that appears to be fact based.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Face it, Dan, they're watching you!

Go to the Northeast Corner of Vermont, where Interstate 91 crosses over into Canada (and becomes Autoroute 55), and you will find the two towns of Derby Line, Vermont, and Stanstead, Quebec.  Those two small towns are effectively one, with a shared library (built right smack across the Border) and a shared Opera House (also built right smack across the Border) and even a shared apartment building (half in Canada, the other half in the USA).  For two centuries nobody paid attention to the Border, until Janet Napolitano showed up  (US Secretary of "Homeland Security") and started installing big iron fences right smack through the towns - disrupting everything.  

Now I invite you to travel about a mile to the West of Derby/Stanstead, to the unincorporated village of Beebe Plain (VT) and Beebe Junction (Quebec).  Here, Quebec road 247 runs parallel to and right smack on top of the Border for about a quarter mile, then into the "junction" with Beebe Plain Road, where both Canada Customs and US Immigration have built their checkpoints.  The place is reminiscent of "Checkpoint Charlie," with armed guards and barrels filled with sand to deter border jumpers, all that is missing are that army tanks. Considering this rural crossing is in the middle of nowhere and all you see are farmers going back and forth, there being lots and lots of dual nationals and cross-border marriages over the years, it is a bit excessive.  However, Route 247, locally called Canusa Avenue  (for Canada-USA Avenue, get it?) has the border running down the middle, with half the street in the USA and the other half in Canada. There are 14 houses on the US side.

Now here is where it gets cute.  The US house residents never leave the USA when they go into town on the US side - but the Border Patrol forces them to go through the Immigration Inspection station to answer the interrogations of the Inspectors - each trip!  When the school bus rolls up to collect the kiddies, the Inspectors search it and search the kiddie backpacks for contraband.  Never mind that the kiddies have never left the USA.  The obvious answer is to go out your back door and walk across the farm field behind the houses and behind the customs checkpoint - but the Border Patrol has these spy cameras set up and their interdiction SUVs roll out to pick you up, after all any American living on the Border is a huge suspect for all manner of nefarious activities, are they not?  So those 14 houses and their inhabitants are now prisoners in some Kafkaesque jail, stopped to be interrogated for crimes they are not told of, to be suspected of offenses not described, and held up three or four times a day in suspicion of acts that remain undisclosed.   

Welcome to America, folks, the Surveillance State is on full display at Beebe Plain and Canusa Road.  Don't believe me?  Hey, go look for yourself.  Don't forget: it will be "Papers, please" when you walk back to town, even though you never left.  165,000 employees and a budget of $65 Billion and they are screwing around with the farmers on the Quebec Border.  Is this a great country or what?

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, Jonathan Galt said:

Who is surprised by this?  50 years ago in grade school teachers were surreptitiously recommending "the little red schoolbook" and being disapproving / hateful if you did a book report, which they SAID could be on anything, on anything by Ayn Rand.

Warfare by indoctrination has been the norm in this country and worldwide for centuries.

^ This.  Read the Port Huron Statement of 1962 revised in 1964.  It’s the manifesto of indoctrination starting with the college intelligentsia.

• Like 1

(edited)

On 8/29/2018 at 7:23 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Ugh....

When our son started school/kindergarten in Germany, I was already thinking I had better keep an eye on what the curriculum was, certainly in the next grade levels.  Fortunately or unfortunately we moved at the end of that school year and did not need to worry about that further.

Then we moved back to Thailand and our son started school here in a small town.  My biggest concern was that the curriculum would be outdated or so limited as to put him at a disadvantage later in life.  Actually the system there wasn't too bad, the class sizes were good and the subject matter was ok.  We did run into a new issue though: one teacher had a bit of a gambling problem and she would come in in the morning, throw a tape in the VCR and tell the students to watch that until lunchtime.  At lunchtime either she or another teacher would come and put a different tape in the machine to carry out the rest of the day's teaching.  This happened on more days than acceptable.  My wife and I made sure that a number of other parents/children's guardians learned about this and that teacher was quickly fired (she may have been assigned to an "inactive" post, as is also the norm here in the LOS).

Then we moved to a mid-sized town of @ 35,000 residents, where we live now, and searched out the best school in town.  We settled on a semi-private school.  It is not an international school, but it has some sort of Catholic affiliation (there is even some sort of minister and a couple of sisters in habits who come round and rap the students on the knuckles from time to time for good measure!).  I'm not Catholic and my wife is Buddhist, but we figured this school was the best we could do here and so that is where our son landed.  I made sure my son understood that he should never be put in a situation where he was to spend time with male teachers in closed rooms or alone with a male teacher for inordinate amounts of time for any reason.  That he should stand his ground if challenged about any of these "attitudes" and insist that they call me if they had a problem with it.  My reasons for making these rules are obvious to anyone who reads any news about Catholic priests the world over, and Thailand is not immune to peadephiles, unfortunately far from it.  We only had one instance where a foreign science teacher said he saw our son's interest in the subject and wanted to teach him more in private lessons during the day.  Our son was prepared and upon entering a windowless room for instruction quickly excused himself and refused to go back inside.  He was sent back to his normal classroom.  Nobody from the school called us and the private lessons never proceeded past that point.  My wife inquired about it and the teacher and administrators told her that they knew foreign parents could be sensitive to these types of issues, so they had no problem with it.  Problem averted?  Better safe than sorry considering the world we live in.

Anyhoo, back to the question of "thought manipulation" at the hands of the schools.  There is a good expat network in Thailand so we were fairly well prepared for what to expect: students taught largely by rote, independent thought not taught or encouraged, do not question the teacher or any other authority figure, classroom sizes too large.  We fight those issues as best we can, but accept that much of it will not change.  It is our responsibility to our son to make sure we make up for any of the shortcomings ourselves.  My wife and I hoped that we would have the opportunity, along with my work, to move once again to a western country, hopefully the U.S., as our son moved on up into high school at least.  Then I started talking to my father, my brothers and their wives about schools back home, and things like those highlighted at the link provided in the post above.  Now we are no longer sure that the best education is in the U.S. simply because it is in the U.S.  The lesson my wife and I have come away with is that, no matter where the school is, parents MUST stay active in the their children's education and make sure they are as fully aware as possible about what the school and its teachers are pushing, or not pushing, on their students.  Push for reforms and improvements and otherwise deal with the system as best as one can.  We only get one shot at this and our kids will have to live with the results for the rest of their lives.

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, TraderTate said:

We might as well be in Beijing ...

Next, a US version of China's new Piyao platform that filters out what the state deems to be 'fake' news? I.e., a 'positive coverage' filter?

We're getting there

https://spreadprivacy.com/google-filter-bubble-study/

You have to wonder if Google's censored search engine for China, codename Dragonfly, is also a means to learn how to implement such a search engine in the West or the world in general.

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/29/google-china-censored-search/

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 4:16 AM, rainman said:

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Google’s search engine was hiding “fair media” coverage of him, without providing evidence, and said he would address the situation, although he gave no details. In a pair of tweets, Trump said Google search results for “Trump News” showed only the reporting of what he terms fake news media.
“They have it RIGGED, for me & others,” he said, blaming Google, part of Alphabet Inc, for what he said was dangerous action that promoted mainstream media outlets such as CNN and suppressed conservative political voices.

Wake up

https://spreadprivacy.com/google-filter-bubble-study/

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/29/google-china-censored-search/

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 8:32 AM, Dan Warnick said:

“There are specific parts where it goes off the rails from a historical textbook toward an op-ed,” Snyder said.

“It was really, really surprising to me,” she said. “I really believe that learning should be objective and that students can make their own decisions based on what they’re able to learn in a classroom, and if the facts are skewed then students aren’t able to make well-rounded decisions on what they believe.”

Please excuse me while I take a moment to derail this thread.

I shot milk out my nose when I read this at the mere thought of HS students making "well-rounded decisions".

How cute is THAT?? It'll be funny when Snyder has teenagers of her own. 

we now resume you regularly scheduled program.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, rainman said:

I agree with Trump.

The main stream media is continually bombarding us with anti-Trump garbage,  and RARELY mentions anything good that Trump has accomplished.

AND,  the MSM always replies to Trump pointing out their bias by describing Trumps statements as being "WITHOUT PROVIDING EVIDENCE.'...???

Excuse me,  but most everything the MSM says bad about Trump is also presented 'WITHOUT PROVIDING EVIDENCE"...

OR,  THE EVIDENCE PROVIDED HAS ALREADY BEEN PROVEN TO BE EITHER A LIE,  OR A MIS-REPRESENTATION OF THE TRUTH.

Google, Twitter, etc,  need to be regulated.

The algorithms need to be eliminated to the extent that they are biased.

I am extremely conservative.   Therefore,  if Google algorithms were truly geared toward my interests,   WHY AM I CONTINUALLY BOMBARDED WITH LIBERAL FAKE NEWS GARBAGE OPINIONS ?

Google and Twitter are corrupt.

• Like 2