Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SP

Should Classic Cars Be Converted To Electric Power?

The latest trend in classic cars is converting them to electric power. Jaguar announced that it will convert its ultimate classic, the 1960s E-type, to electric power. It will build the cars at its classic center in England, and is taking orders. 

The news follows last month's announcement that Electra Meccanica, with a history going back longer than most modern electric-car makers, would convert Porsche 356 replicas to electric power. Many of these cars—even all of them—are irreplaceable historic artifacts. 

Should be kept in original condition, even if it means to keep them in museum. I would like my grandchildren to see how things were once done. 

I think it's fine for some cars to be converted by hobbyists. Certain cars like the original Beetle and others seem tailor-made for it. But on categorical or a mass scale I oppose that. You're never match the range, recharge time, performance, and safety of a factory BEV. 

Many conversion do in fact match the range, performance and recharge time of factory built BEV's. Although you are correct in that conversion are not likely to be a safe as a modern vehicle. 

Classic cars that have survived, especially cars with matching numbers should be left alone. Their value is in originality, the classic driving experience, and they really aren’t driven in such significant numbers that we have to be concerned about how clean they are. But there are candidates for electric modification, you do see cars that need complete restorations that have for one reason or another been separated from their original engine, and transmission. 

Perhaps this can be consider as a "Restomod" or a mixture of old and new.
The idea is that old cars have great styling, but terrible brakes and suspensions in many cases. So why not keep the beautiful styling in a car that can be a joy and safer to drive. 

I think the biggest issue with conversions is safety. A sustainable death trap is still a lot better than the original. But it’s not really something we should be promoting for anything other than rare classics.

No.