Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AB

French Environment Minister Resigns, Citing Lack Of Policy Progress

France's environment minister unexpectedly announced his resignation live on national radio, citing disappointment with the government's lack of progress on climate and other environmental goals. The move deals a stinging blow to the environmental credibility of President Emmanuel Macron. Losing Hulot so suddenly will force a ministerial reshuffle and casts doubt on the strength of Macron's commitment to "make our planet great again. 

"World not doing enough," said Hulot. Could you imagine quitting your job and blaming the rest of the world. That's gotta be some seriously large chip. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would call it refreshing to see a politician taking a stand on these issues.

I don't want to lie to myself any more, or create the illusion that we're facing up to these challenges," Hulot said. "I have therefore decided to leave the government." 

The mask, it’s falling off. 

This is  is a major blow for Macron, who has painted himself as the defender of the Paris climate change accord on the world stage.

• Like 1

sure, you can keep trying to make a difference. that's one way to go. the other option is to make a showy exit by resigning live on the radio. the climate is bound to benefit either way...right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stormysaga said:

"make our planet great again

MOPGA!  Do the French have a hat with that on it?  Ha ha!

10 hours ago, Sofia said:

I would call it refreshing to see a politician taking a stand on these issues.

I would call it a politician with aspirations to his bosses job (my assumption), and a rich foundation to boot:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/nicolas-hulot-french-minister-who-kept-his-job-despite-historical-rape-allegations-resigns-over-a3921496.html

• Like 1

Hulot has made a ripple, even if it's a small one. He was under pressure from the greens.  To quote an infamous American President; (aren't they all?) 'either piss or get off the pot.'

• Like 1