China and spying: Chief U.S. Spy Catcher Says China Using LinkedIn To Recruit Americans

The United States’ top spy catcher said Chinese espionage agencies are using fake LinkedIn accounts to try to recruit Americans with access to government and commercial secrets, and the company should shut them down.William Evanina, the U.S. counter-intelligence chief, told Reuters in an interview that intelligence and law enforcement officials have told LinkedIn, owned by Microsoft Corp., about China’s “super aggressive” efforts on the site. He said the Chinese campaign includes contacting thousands of LinkedIn members at a time, but he declined to say how many fake accounts U.S. intelligence had discovered, how many Americans may have been contacted and how much success China has had in the recruitment drive. German and British authorities have previously warned their citizens that Beijing is using LinkedIn to try to recruit them as spies. But this is the first time a U.S. official has publicly discussed the challenge in the United States and indicated it is a bigger problem than previously known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone wrote - "about 70 percent of China’s espionage is aimed at the U.S. private sector. Like companies, its spy agencies use LinkedIn to recruit Americans".. Where is the remaining 30 percent? Russia, North Korea..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m floored by the news that LinkedIn still exists :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just don't reply to the kind job offers to info share in Shanghai....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to twitter and facebook are unaccessable from China....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I've ever heard anyone get a job on Linkedin... and of course, I never even used Linkedin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0