Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FM

As EU Divisions Deepen, Macron Stakes Out Electoral Turf

Emmanuel Macron’s strategy for next year’s European elections is taking shape and the French president sees it in stark terms - an open battle between anti-immigrant nationalists on the one hand and pro-EU ‘progressives’ on the other. During a tour of Nordic countries this week, he was quick to take up the gauntlet thrown down by Italy’s far-right Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini and Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who jointly labeled Macron their number one enemy. “It is clear that today a strong opposition is building up between nationalists and progressives,” Macron said when asked about the alliance struck between the two anti-immigrant leaders in Milan. “If they want to see me as their main opponent, they are right to do so,” he said. Europe has seen a surge in support for far-right, anti-immigrant parties in recent national and regional elections, following a crisis that saw millions of people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East and Africa end up in Europe. Macron, a Europhile who during his French campaign said German Chancellor Angela Merkel had “saved Europe’s dignity” by taking in one million refugees, has been cast by EU opponents as a soft touch on immigration, despite his hardline reputation on the issue at home.

Personally, I have no sympathy for Macron, he's sometimes like a slime...But, between pure democracy and orban's - salvini's speeches which are demonstration and picture of ultra hard EU, I'm always on Macron's side. Even, he's sometimes, as I said,  like a slime...

I don't care for Macron, Orban or Merkel, the key question: Is the EU falling apart? When you live in same house, and after few years don't want to eat at the same table, divorce is only solution.... Brexit could be start of the end of EU

4 minutes ago, pinto said:

I don't care for Macron, Orban or Merkel, the key question: Is the EU falling apart? When you live in same house, and after few years don't want to eat at the same table, divorce is only solution.... Brexit could be start of the end of EU

I agree. But who will pay for all those years while you have roof and house, dinner and support...Of course, If you think that dissolution is a better option, try it..And don't ask tomorrow, let's say, why Sardinia wants its independence.... And, Brexit could be start of the end of UK...

Good point of Macron. Far-right populists like Orban and Salvini are a threat to liberty, rights and prosperity. Without any doubts, with the 2019 European elections getting closer, pro-europeans must join forces... Otherwise, welcome to the dark era of the past.

4 minutes ago, Petar said:

Good point of Macron. Far-right populists like Orban and Salvini are a threat to liberty, rights and prosperity. Without any doubts, with the 2019 European elections getting closer, pro-europeans must join forces... Otherwise, welcome to the dark era of the past.

Far right? You mean people who are afraid, worried? Afraid of their future, afraid of the lives of their families? If you call that far right, then you are wrong.

I read that Viktor Orbán in Hungary and Matteo Salvini in Italy want to form an alliance against ”the democrats and the left” in Europe, naming Macron as their main opponent. An open fight within the political fractions and movements of the countries in Europe must be Putin's wet dream. The more they fight between themselves the more space does Russia get to do what it wants without interference or opposition. Go straight into that trap.

European action for the plight of the immigrants fleeing their backwards, mixed up nations can and should take more forms than relocation.  Mr. Orban and Salvini love their countries and people more than they love the EU and it’s misguided immigration policies.   Like them or not their  stance concerning their people first, securing their rights, liberty and future first, is leadership.  France has not taken near the number of immigrants Italy has.  What you see is the Italian people and other people of Europe growing weary of the huge influx of people who culturally are so different.  They have seen the accompanying social and economic problems and yes, they fear how their countries will change.  Mr. Macron sits atop his high horse saying more immigrants for thee but not for me.  While the common folk of Europe who pay for this social experiment and suffer the consequences, say what about me.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:54 AM, TXPower said:

France has not taken near the number of immigrants Italy has. 

In France, and the UK, much of the immigration is from their ex-colonials. And an added pressure is eastern Europeans who are in the EU, doing the same work for less money. There is a lot more to this than Middle East destabilization immigration issues.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, John Foote said:

In France, and the UK, much of the immigration is from their ex-colonials. And an added pressure is eastern Europeans who are in the EU, doing the same work for less money. There is a lot more to this than Middle East destabilization immigration issues.

On that we agree John.  It’s also about EU members who have discovered that the jig is up and that not all members are equal, their economies are wrecked and their ability for self determination has been gutted.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 5:30 PM, TXPower said:

On that we agree John. 

You'd probably be surprised at what we agree on. A literal wall is an expensive joke, but controlling borders, and that includes economic and technological borders, really, really, matters. I have serious issues with the how sometime, not so much the what.