Ten years since market crash

Ten years have passed since the depths of the 2008 financial crisis. A decade later, joblessness is close to all-time lows, corporations and banks are boasting record profits, and consumer spending has gradually risen as the economy expands. But our democracy turned out to be unwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than admit that Trump's economy is booming, lefties want to go back and relive 2008.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is troubling now libs want the country to fall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sefko Trafikant said:

Ten years have passed since the depths of the 2008 financial crisis. A decade later, joblessness is close to all-time lows, corporations and banks are boasting record profits, and consumer spending has gradually risen as the economy expands. But our democracy turned out to be unwell.

unemployment is at an all time low and most people still living paycheck to paycheck...looks like capitalism is going according to plan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Meanwhile said:

unemployment is at an all time low and most people still living paycheck to paycheck...looks like capitalism is going according to plan!

The other part of the plan: corporate profits at an all time high....middle class dying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should start to see that when the averages bust below the 2009 March lows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, JohnAtronis said:

Rather than admit that Trump's economy is booming, lefties want to go back and relive 2008.

It's not going to last very long and I'm not a leftist.

“People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I'm excited if it is,’ he told the Globe and Mail in March of 2007. “I’ve always made more money in bad markets than in good markets.” -Donald Trump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2018 at 8:22 AM, Sefko Trafikant said:

Ten years have passed since the depths of the 2008 financial crisis. A decade later, joblessness is close to all-time lows, corporations and banks are boasting record profits, and consumer spending has gradually risen as the economy expands. But our democracy turned out to be unwell.

You forgot to mention that in 2008, the US had only $10 trillion in national debt.  The US now has $20 trillion.  So, there's that.  Good thing we can just print more money to pay that off.  To give you an estimate of that value...just imagine every publicly traded stock on the New York Stock Exchange...the national debt is now larger than all of them combined.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Epic said:

You forgot to mention that in 2008, the US had only $10 trillion in national debt.  The US now has $20 trillion.  So, there's that.  Good thing we can just print more money to pay that off.  To give you an estimate of that value...just imagine every publicly traded stock on the New York Stock Exchange...the national debt is now larger than all of them combined.  

Aha!  So are you starting to see why one may want to be on the lookout for a rather precipitous fall in the markets?

 

5 hours ago, Jesse Man said:

“People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I'm excited if it is,’ he told the Globe and Mail in March of 2007. “I’ve always made more money in bad markets than in good markets.” -Donald Trump

Hi Jesse.  Is there a negative connotation to the Trump quote from 2007?  I believe a (very) small bit of digging would reveal that most billionaires made most of their money the old fashioned way: shorting a crashing market, and then buying it up at the bottom.  It's the American way!  My opinion is that people who say short sellers are somehow complicit with a market crash/correction/dip/etc., are just not thinking it through:  EVERY transaction on the exchanges, no matter what product, must have both a buyer and a seller.  The only difference is what side of the trade you are on, and whether or not that happens to be the profitable side of the trade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2018 at 9:27 PM, Meanwhile said:

unemployment is at an all time low and most people still living paycheck to paycheck...looks like capitalism is going according to plan!

I still prefer Capitalism over Socialism.  

Here's a 2013 flashback praising Venezuela's Socialism:

https_%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2018 at 9:27 AM, Meanwhile said:

unemployment is at an all time low and most people still living paycheck to paycheck...looks like capitalism is going according to plan!

Meanwhile,,, I have read your opinions and statements. I feel we think alike, but maybe, I'm remembering it wrong, perhaps, we don't agree and I just respected your opinion.  Here's mine:  If I live in the United States and I'm living paycheck to paycheck, that's on me.  It must be acceptable to me, because If it were not I could walk out my door this morning and earn more.  I could earn more by working, harder, longer, or smarter. And so could everyone else here.  

Are there barriers to entry, yep sure are.  Are there un-fair advantages some inherit, yep, and then of course, are some people set at an un-fair disadvantage? Yes, all of these things are real, but can be overcome.

That's my favorite thing about capitalism, If you want it, go get it.

12 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

I still prefer Capitalism over Socialism. 

My 2nd favorite thing about capitalism is the abundance of riches that afford genuine philanthropy.  I think of organizations like Doctors without Borders, https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/   and Bill Gate's foundation https://www.gatesfoundation.org/ .   Now to be fair, I just recently learned here in our discussions, I think from Jan, That Chavez used to send oil to New England as a snub to Washington D.C.

 But, that's all it was a little flip of the bird, not a sustainable effort to improve lives.  And with out the cash you can't improve the lives.  And the market place created by capitalism, provides the platform for the cash.   

Are capitalists "better people" than socialists? NO not at all.  People are people all over the world, we have more in common than we have differences, (but it's difficult to see it that way) .  Capitalist leaders get greedy  just like socialist leaders, but the platform is better at keeping it in check.

Cheers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites