ML

Reality catching up with EV forecasts

(edited)

What a interesting way for environmental activism to end...interests rates.

Musk has hammered the manufacturing ind by lowering price points, Tesla is debt free, well positioned for a price war...This will be a blood bath financially GM..Ford along with VW will be forced vacate the EV market, highly competitive low margins under developed product lines...What could go wrong?

Now scale that to large scale green production and storage. The Green Apocalypse has arrived. The coming next quarter will be a exercise in accounting gymnastics,  the second quarter will be parachuting 101...LMAO 

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1

image.png.bb4cc836392a3a8fc05c99a9074c3693.png

Latest-must-have

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Problem is there are no heavy sedans anymore that I know of. Maybe the large Mercedes. 

Ahh and there goes Footinmouth's argument!.

I'm guessing a second hand large Mercedes isnt cheap either!

• Downvote 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:42 PM, TailingsPond said:

Kia's opinion on a competing product they don't make is clearly unbiased.

Kia's are low-end.

No one wants an EV, they have zero resale value.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, TailingsPond said:

I understood, but is "you are too poor for nice things" really a dis against EV's?  That may be true for some but EV prices are falling fast (a good thing).

Thankfully, even public transit (largely for those who can't afford cars at all) are switching to nice EV's. https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/electric-buses

More than 99% of the transportation sector is Internal Combustion and will remain so until you and I are long since departed the scene.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:38 AM, TailingsPond said:

I've owned 3 Toyotas and one Nissan - all were very dependable even when abused.

I bought a early '80's (I think '81) Tercel with ~230,000Km on it from a guy who had literally road the car over a jump and caught big air.  He was smashed and drove to the local ski hill and drove it off a big ski jump.  It didn't roll but got stuck in the snow, they left it and ran. He got lots of tickets the next morning (but no drunk driving).

I paid $300 for it.  It still ran at slightly more than 300,000km but it was rusted beyond repair.  Gave it to charity.

I loved that thing.  It didn't even need a good battery; it was light with a manual transmission; push starting it was rather easy.

What are you driving now? An EV?

18 hours ago, markslawson said:

Ron - I have no views on luxury. I bought a new car, a grand Toyota Corolla, for the first time a few years back and it got me places just fine and gave no trouble. My daughter drives it now and she also has not reported any trouble. Not sure what else there is to say. Life is too complicated already without buying electric so I won't. 

I must say the Toyota Hybrid is a great compromise - internal combustion engine but with very good fuel economy especially around towns. The estate is a fairly decent size family car (by European standards)

• Upvote 2

(edited)

KIA EVs you can buy today:

image.png.dceb5c09e13f07f38e1b90d18a3ef846.png

UK EV sales growth remains very strong:

December-2022-UK-Passenger-Auto-Registrations.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey

18 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Musk has hammered the manufacturing ind by lowering price points, Tesla is debt free, well positioned for a price war...This will be a blood bath financially GM..Ford along with VW will be forced vacate the EV market, highly competitive low margins under developed product lines..

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but Tesla is considered to be the more expensive of the EV brands. GM is set to release is Equinox brand at $US30,000. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Bolt are both cheaper, although dated now I think. Tesla's base model is around $US48,000. However, it is in a different part of the market.  

• Like 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, markslawson said:

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but Tesla is considered to be the more expensive of the EV brands. GM is set to release is Equinox brand at $US30,000. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Bolt are both cheaper, although dated now I think. Tesla's base model is around $US48,000. However, it is in a different part of the market.  

A bit to superficial..to much green media covering for current events. A bit off the cuff here, the market has been losing money already. This new price cut has closed any hope of developing a new market things are by far to violate right now. Do not forget this price cut extends across the entire line of Tesla...it is not a temporary rebate stimulating a certain model line.

“Most OEMs are currently losing money on EVs, and these price cuts are likely to make business even more difficult, just as they are attempting to ramp production of EV offerings,” BofA Securities analyst John Murphy wrote to investors earlier this month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/25/teslas-price-cuts-could-spur-an-ev-pricing-war.html

The Bolt is now 29000 and rising.

The Eqixnox coming in at 35 is the reality.

Tesla model 3 is now 44k. Note that is below the bargain basement Kia.

image.png.dceb5c09e13f07f38e1b90d18a3ef846.png

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

A bit to superficial..to much green media covering for current events. A bit off the cuff here, the market has been losing money already. This new price cut has closed any hope of developing a new market things are by far to violate right now. Do not forget this price cut extends across the entire line of Tesla...it is not a temporary rebate stimulating a certain model line.

“Most OEMs are currently losing money on EVs, and these price cuts are likely to make business even more difficult, just as they are attempting to ramp production of EV offerings,” BofA Securities analyst John Murphy wrote to investors earlier this month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/25/teslas-price-cuts-could-spur-an-ev-pricing-war.html

The Bolt is now 29000 and rising.

The Eqixnox coming in at 35 is the reality.

Tesla model 3 is now 44k. Note that is below the bargain basement Kia.

Yes, the Tesla price cut is almost certainly designed to reduce the viability of low-price EV startups.  Control the market. 

For you, of course, this doesn't matter because you think the EV market is trivial.

Edited by TailingsPond

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

More carnage...and it's only been a few weeks..

GM, Ford must convince investors they can profit as prices fall

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2023-01-27/gm-ford-must-convince-investors-they-can-profit-as-prices-fall

d8553ff68e3317050c81db48dd9b12086d8a748d.gif

EV (Tesla) prices are falling ....oh the horror.....at least for the snowflakes who post here that EVs' are just a novelty

More EVs/hybrids  on the road ....You know the prices fall and demand goes up....

Volkwagens new ID4 suvs will start rolling off US production lines in the next few months......

competition........for ICE SUVs is heating up.........Sales of SUV EVs/hybrids will kick ass in 2023 ....2024....2025

Ford and GM need to pick up the pace of their transitions

Enjoy the transition to renewables, I am.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:12 AM, Rob Plant said:

Ahh and there goes Footinmouth's argument!.

I'm guessing a second hand large Mercedes isnt cheap either!

There are still a lot of  large Fords running around, I rarely seen Impalas. Federal law forced manufacturers to stop producing them or there would be plenty around. They could be kept on the road forever. Now we buy minivans, small trucks, SUVs,  full size vans that can also be kept on the road. I think your foot is lodged in your mouth with your eyes closed. 

• Downvote 1

21 hours ago, markslawson said:

I guess you haven't heard of Musk's drastic price cuts. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jan/27/elon-musk-meets-white-house-officials-discuss-elec/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Musk is also planning a new economy car.

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

EV (Tesla) prices are falling ....oh the horror.....at least for the snowflakes who post here that EVs' are just a novelty

More EVs/hybrids  on the road ....You know the prices fall and demand goes up....

Volkwagens new ID4 suvs will start rolling off US production lines in the next few months......

competition........for ICE SUVs is heating up.........Sales of SUV EVs/hybrids will kick ass in 2023 ....2024....2025

As energy prices soar all around the world. That is also not so nice. 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:40 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

All the luxury cars both new and old are heavy sedans weighing in at ~2.5tons+.  All of your minivans weigh ~2.5 tons.  Suburbans only weigh 2.5t yet are MUCH bigger and why they are literally one of the worst cars to buy out there.  Worst cars in an accident?  SMART car 0.75ton.  Ex cop cars weigh that etc etc etc.  Cheap ass Buick lasabres are out there with 20mpg+  Life expectancy, depends on how religious you change the oil.  A cost to be sure, but when you can buy one with less than 100,000 miles on them even when a ~20 year old car for around $4000 or less, this is literally a steal or close to it.    Pretty much any single low mileage car who was owned by older retired people is a good deal if you can verify it had its oil changed regularly, if you can't, don't touch it as old people forget or just get lazy and ignore it. 

I think that old people probably change their oil more frequently than young people do. Do you have any proof to back up your claim?

2 hours ago, notsonice said:

I have always said that any technology that is better per the consumer should be chosen. So far only 4% of Americans drive them per Bloomberg, which is a far left source. I am now a big Musk fan since he bought Twitter to provide truth to all. Go Tesla. Trounce woke idiots. 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:10 PM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Uh... a STANDARD 70 year old HVAC unit is "impressive"... 

You have got to be kidding me.  😝

Of course an electric car will have an HVAC unit... you need heating and cooling of various components.  Ooooo they integrated a larger multiway valve with solenoids on it... wow how "futureistic" a valve... how "impressive".   It should have been standard on every unit ever sold from the start. 

So why was it never mentioned on anyone's posts here, all the Tesla fans. I have never seen it mentioned by anyone. Did you?

8 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

I guess you haven't heard of Musk's drastic price cuts. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jan/27/elon-musk-meets-white-house-officials-discuss-elec/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Musk is also planning a new economy car.

Now I've completely lost the thread of the original discussion, although Tailings Pond's original comments made somewhat more sense. The price I quoted above was current, so Musk will have to cut quit a bit to compete with the other brands. But anyway, thanks for teh comment.. 

9 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

I think that old people probably change their oil more frequently than young people do. Do you have any proof to back up your claim?

Proof... ?  Basic observation.  Old people let everything go to shit.  Why?  As you get older you perfect procrastination and cannot physically do anything anymore.  Also worry about $$$, so maintenance gets differed.  This differed maintenance is not bad if it is their 2nd car which never gets driven and just sits or if 1 spouse has died but they had 2 cars(often the case).  But if they actually drive it occasionally, it will have low mileage, but the air filter/oil will rarely be changed = high wear for mileage driven using old oil.  Especially true of anyone over 80 where all the good deals are found. 

Anyone under 75?  Nah, not a good deal generally, they generally speaking still give a shit and generally speaking still have money to take care of things or pay others to do so.  Saw it in my great grandparents, my grandparents, others grandparents, my own parents, my friends parents etc etc.  Worked for them in my teens/20's as side hustles.  Makes for some good deals sometimes.  Must be wary at other times.  Flipping old folks homes the kids are getting rid of after their parents are gone is generally a good deal as a side hustle when in your 20's/30's where generally just needs a lot of sweat equity, though it is also a guarantee that all the appliances, furnace, roof, paint, carpet, floors, faucets, showers has not been maintained for a LONG while and in fact might have MASSIVE water damage etc.  Been in several where they get too damned lazy to take the trash out even though they were not wheelchair bound nor had alzheimers.  Those places make you big bucks. 

Took 7+ FULL 40ft container loads of trash out of one such house.  Made at the time a profit of over $40,000 doing it too which was amazing money for a side hustle I did on the weekends. 

8 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

So why was it never mentioned on anyone's posts here, all the Tesla fans. I have never seen it mentioned by anyone. Did you?

Because they, TESLA fanbos are ignorant dufus's who can't be bothered to know anything about a topic before opening their ignorant mouths about physics, engineering or even basic common sense.

Sure, I knew about it when Tesla made this "giant" announcement about.. an 8 way valve heat exchange system over 3? years ago... AKA an HVAC unit which has been standard on most decent homes, apartments, condos, and all commercial real estate for going on 70 years.  Just because ICE cars only have VAC part and not the H part of HVAC TESLA played make believe this was a "giant leap forward"

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:22 PM, Ron Wagner said:

There are still a lot of  large Fords running around, I rarely seen Impalas. Federal law forced manufacturers to stop producing them or there would be plenty around. They could be kept on the road forever. Now we buy minivans, small trucks, SUVs,  full size vans that can also be kept on the road. I think your foot is lodged in your mouth with your eyes closed. 

Ron this was your own comment

"Problem is there are no heavy sedans anymore that I know of. Maybe the large Mercedes. "

So I guess you need to make your mind up or stop contradicting yourself! Your foot seems to be lodged up your own ass.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 1/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, notsonice said:

The hits keep coming. Which brings into question....A possible bounty on environmental activists in the near future? It would be highly unlikely the cult would qualify for the Endangered Species act. 

Reliability Problems Plague Newer Electric Cars, Consumer Reports' Latest Survey Shows

EVs from automakers like Audi, Kia, and Porsche are no longer recommended by CR

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/reliability-problems-plague-newer-electric-cars-a2176942694/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open