ML

Reality catching up with EV forecasts

On 1/24/2023 at 11:38 PM, TailingsPond said:

I bought a early '80's (I think '81) Tercel with ~

I bought an '89 Tercel in '91 with 20,000 miles on it. Besides oil changes and a set of tires, I replaced the dome light and left headlight by '01 (120,000 miles on it) when I foolishly bought a '98 Malibu with 20,000 miles to pamper myself. By '11 I was at 120,000 miles and had spent $8,000 in repairs and sold it to my (excellent and honest) mechanic for $300 with a blown head gasket. I went to Asia to do the digital nomad thing. Returning 3 years ago, I bought a nice, used Hyundai.

I wish someone would make the 1989 Tercel again. I would buy one for each of my nieces and nephews (max = $20,000 apiece, I'm not rich).

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 1/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, markslawson said:

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but Tesla is considered to be the more expensive of the EV brands. GM is set to release is Equinox brand at $US30,000. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Bolt are both cheaper, although dated now I think. Tesla's base model is around $US48,000. However, it is in a different part of the market.  

A little clarity is forming. It should be noted the Chevy Bolt has been discontinued, the Eqixnox platform has yet to be released. Mr Lawson low balling a price point in the auto industry is just a way of life. If you look any mainstream hope in the EV market begins at 40k USD. Tesla can hit that number in a instant. One must always take into account Tesla is debt free, and close/hammer any market segment it wishes. Frankly i miss those days...Tesla can now be called a category killer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/30/ford-general-motors-earnings-prices.html

Ford and General Motors enter a new phase of uncertainty on prices and demand

• Ford and General Motors are set to report earnings this week.
  • Automakers have reported record results amid a tight supply of new vehicles and strong demand.
  • Ford cut prices on its electric Mustang Mach-E, weeks after EV leader Tesla slashed its own prices.
PUBLISHED MON, JAN 30 202312:40 PM ESTUPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

GM is expected to report fourth-quarter earnings per share of $1.69, a 25% increase over the year-ago period.

Tesla price cut.....25 %
Game Over.
Edited by Eyes Wide Open

6 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

A little clarity is forming. It should be noted the Chevy Bolt has been discontinued, the Eqixnox platform has yet to be released. Mr Lawson low balling a price point in the auto industry is just a way of life. If you look any mainstream hope in the EV market begins at 40k USD. Tesla can hit that number in a instant. One must always take into account Tesla is debt free, and close/hammer any market segment it wishes. Frankly i miss those days...Tesla can now be called a category killer.

• Automakers have reported record results amid a tight supply of new vehicles and strong demand.
  • Ford cut prices on its electric Mustang Mach-E, weeks after EV leader Tesla slashed its own prices.

GM is expected to report fourth-quarter earnings per share of $1.69, a 25% increase over the year-ago period.

Tesla price cut.....25 %
Game Over.

Game over????

more like Game on

Ford Slashes Electric Vehicle Prices

By ZeroHedge - Jan 30, 2023, 12:30 PM CST

Five days after we reported that Tesla was accused of 'weaponizing' price cuts in order to crush their competition in the electric vehicle space, Ford announced priced cuts for their electric Mustang Mach-E along with several other models 'across the board.'

The company will also increase production, "underscoring the company’s commitment to lead the EV revolution by increasing the value of its EVs for customers," according to a Monday press release.

"We are not going to cede ground to anyone. We are producing more EVs to reduce customer wait times, offering competitive pricing and working to create an ownership experience that is second to none," said Marin Gjaja, Chief Customer Officer, Ford Model e.

"Our customers are at the center of everything we do – as we continue to build thrilling and exciting electric vehicles, we will continue to push the boundaries to make EVs more accessible for everybody."

1675095140-o_1go1n6obm1ilv13r41rj1124u16

Customers who are awaiting delivery of their Mach-E's will automatically receive the adjusted price, while Ford will 'reach out' to anyone who bought one after Jan 1, 2023.

Shares of the Michigan-based automaker dropped as much as 3% in pre-market trading.

Tesla's move to squeeze competitors by sacrificing some of its strong operating-profit margins could be seen in a recent price cuts on the Model Y - which is now priced at $53,000, down from around $66,000. If buyers qualify for the federal tax credit, the can knock off another $7,500.

Bank of America analyst John Murphy said, unlike Tesla, traditional automakers have very thin profit margins or lose money on their EV lineups. He said such a move to reduce prices could spark a price war.  

"These price cuts are likely to make the business even more difficult, just as they are attempting to ramp production of EV offerings," Murphy said.

By Zerohedge.com

These 8 Car Companies Are No Longer Investing In ICE Cars (Plus 1 Stubborn Company That Is)

Gents when major auto manufacturers stop investing in new ICE vehicle models you know the writing is on the wall. EV's whether you like them or loathe them will be the future as governments have to be seen to be going green and that dictat is drilled down to auto manufacturers.

https://www.hotcars.com/car-companies-no-longer-investing-in-ice/#cadillac

(edited)

On 1/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, Ron Wagner said:

As energy prices soar all around the world. That is also not so nice. 

Good grief, energy prices are not soaring they are falling fast. Ron, do you have even one ounce of intellectual integrity?

Coal plummeting:

image.png.6087f8b2a549afb052be310aeb5ce9dc.png

Natural gas plummeting:

image.png.f12502dabf40f7f544df65c88c5e311e.png

Oil dropped a few months ago and holding steady:

image.png.310d0ee3a187349696fddb3195d41117.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Like 1

(edited)

20 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Tesla price cut.....25 %
Game Over.

Oh you are such the Tesla fanboy. The Bolt has not been discontinued it is nearly doubling in production: 

GM said that it would boost Bolt production for global markets to 70,000 units in 2023 from roughly 44,000 units for 2022. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/gm-planning-to-build-70000-chevy-bolt-ev-bolt-euv-units-in-2023/

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

22 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Oh you are such the Tesla fanboy. The Bolt has not been discontinued it is nearly doubling in production: 

GM said that it would boost Bolt production for global markets to 70,000 units in 2023 from roughly 44,000 units for 2022. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/gm-planning-to-build-70000-chevy-bolt-ev-bolt-euv-units-in-2023/

Holding on the past failures defines insanity. Let it go Jay...find chaos in another format.

Here’s When 2023 Chevy Bolt EV and Bolt EUV Production Will End

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/01/heres-when-2023-chevy-bolt-ev-and-bolt-euv-production-will-end/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Holding on the past failures defines insanity. Let it go Jay...find chaos in another format.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/01/heres-when-2023-chevy-bolt-ev-and-bolt-euv-production-will-end/

😅😂🤣

Seriously? You do realize they have to end 2023 model year production to begin the 2024 model year production, right?

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

7 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

😅😂🤣

Seriously? You do realize they have to end 2023 model year production to begin the 2024 model year production, right?

Jay I do understand the sentiment you may feel...it comes with age. Inflated markets and mos importantly interest rates have ended the Green Dream debacle.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/17/23464509/general-motors-ev-profit-1-million-annual-2025

General Motors says it will stop burning cash on electric vehicles by 2025

/ 

The largest automaker in North America is laying down a marker for itself to sell 1 million EVs annually by 2025. But it won’t be easy.

In its most recent earnings report, GM said it’s on track to sell 44,000 Chevy Bolt EVs and EUVs — at a loss — in the US by the end of the year. The Bolt is the company’s lowest priced plug-in model and the only one that it is currently selling in high volume and unprofitably. GM’s other battery-electric models, the GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, are still slowly ramping up production. And next year, the Chevy Silverado EV and Chevy Blazer EV will join the lineup.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

7 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Holding on the past failures defines insanity.

*cough* Like trump?

Let it go.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, Ron Wagner said:

As energy prices soar all around the world. That is also not so nice. 

Putins screwed the world with the Saudis helping him sending prices through the roof....

Back to reality for you the last month saw a crash in all energy prices.........

back to mid 2010's prices

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:00 PM, Ron Wagner said:

I have always said that any technology that is better per the consumer should be chosen. So far only 4% of Americans drive them per Bloomberg, which is a far left source. I am now a big Musk fan since he bought Twitter to provide truth to all. Go Tesla. Trounce woke idiots. 

Plug in Hybrids should be the rule of the road today........

plug in for a charge that gets you a daily commute...gas up for long road trips

Oil demand will crater over time due to plug in hybrids being put on the market today

PS Musk is an idiot...he is playing politics with his car company Like Henry Ford did in the 30's . ...GM loved Henry Fords bad politics

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

*cough* Like trump?

Let it go.

Plenty of time for MAGA. Right now it's intermission time. And it is turning out to spectacular.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/31/land-grab-for-lithium-is-just-getting-started-with-gm-expert-says.html

The ‘land grab’ for lithium is just getting started with GM deal, says EV materials expert

The price for that lithium carbonate has been on an absolute tear as of late. Prices were hovering between $5,000 and $8,000 per ton in 2020, and they reached as high as $27,000 per ton in 2021and $68,366 per ton in December, according to data from Benchmark for the global weighted average.

“The rush for lithium has just started. It is a land grab,” Moores told CNBC. “This land grab will last the next decade. I don’t think this is a two- or three-year thing. I think this is a decadelong process.”

d8553ff68e3317050c81db48dd9b12086d8a748d.gif

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

On 1/30/2023 at 11:07 AM, Michael Sanches said:

It's nice to know that people getting mugged on public transport aren't adding to their carbon footprint.

Natural gas has been and should continue to be the choice.

57 minutes ago, notsonice said:

Plug in Hybrids should be the rule of the road today........

plug in for a charge that gets you a daily commute...gas up for long road trips

Oil demand will crater over time due to plug in hybrids being put on the market today

PS Musk is an idiot...he is playing politics with his car company Like Henry Ford did in the 30's . ...GM loved Henry Fords bad politics

I think Musk is very sincere in his beliefs. He is a classic liberal in the good sense of the word. He does seem to be there for the common man like Ford was. He says he will come out with a lower priced model for them. 

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

Putins screwed the world with the Saudis helping him sending prices through the roof....

Back to reality for you the last month saw a crash in all energy prices.........

back to mid 2010's prices

Good, but the retail prices have been going up in the U.S.A.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:04 AM, Rob Plant said:

Ron this was your own comment

"Problem is there are no heavy sedans anymore that I know of. Maybe the large Mercedes. "

So I guess you need to make your mind up or stop contradicting yourself! Your foot seems to be lodged up your own ass.

I am looking at the big picture and trying to explain the important factor. If the market were free there would be traditional large sedans. Instead, we have a plethora of SUVs and minivans etc. 

Quit the insults, they only demean those who use them. 

(edited)

15 minutes ago, Ron Wagner said:

I think Musk is very sincere in his beliefs. He is a classic liberal in the good sense of the word. He does seem to be there for the common man like Ford was. He says he will come out with a lower priced model for them. 

Ford was for the common man in 1910  but was an anit-semite and by 1935.......was a pal of Hitler......not of Americans....1940's Ford was not an American Hero

Hitler’s American Friends: Henry Ford and Nazism

Posted on November 2, 2018

by Bradley W. Hart

Over the past century, Ford has become one of the most iconic American brands, from its line of pickup trucks to the Mustang. The company’s first car, the Model T, broke ground and helped create the modern automotive industry. Yet what few people know today is that the company’s founder, Henry Ford, not only held deeply prejudiced personal views but also became one of Hitler’s key American friends in the years before the war. To its credit, the Ford Motor Company has made some efforts to come to terms with this troubling history, but there is still more work to be done. As we’ll see, Ford’s views were more than just a private matter—they translated into real-world action that had a major effect on Germany’s military preparedness before World War II. Certainly, Ford was far from the only American businessman who was enticed by Nazi Germany. His rival—General Motors—had a German division of its own and manufactured aircraft parts for the Luftwaffe.

image of henry ford

As I discuss in my book Hitler’s American Friends, some of its executives held views that went beyond pure business interests and bordered on Nazi sympathies. Yet Ford’s story is unique not just because he did extensive business in the Third Reich, but because of the influence he held over Hitler’s other American friends in the United States. This industrial leader was far more than just a mere businessman—he was also an American icon who, like his friend Charles Lindbergh who we’ll discuss in the final part of this miniseries, would become practically obsessed with Hitler and Nazism.

Edited by notsonice
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ron Wagner said:

Good, but the retail prices have been going up in the U.S.A.

retail prices today....Home prices today are falling...steel falling concrete falling...... Hope the fed does not overshoot........

all because of Fossil Fuel Run up and now crash back today...

The destruction that reliance on fossil fuels has on the economies of the world because of the runup on oil nat gas and coal is not a nice thing

I am well aware of all that. He was entitled to his opinion. Most American Germans did not want America to enter the war and many were pacifists about it as were many ordinary Americans. Instead we ended up with Stalin and the Soviet Union, which was very similar to Hitler and communism destroyed more people than Hitler ever did. They were both evil demons. We needed to join the war or we would all be speaking German. We saved Russia from utter destruction, and now are still dealing with them. I worked for a Jewish owned company for fifteen years. They were somewhat fair, but greedy and self serving. Not unusual, especially by today's business standards which are very cutthroat. I worked for J. Paul Getty where his sons ran Getty Oil from. Tidewater OIl, and Seaside, and Phillips 66 all operated out of their Wilshire Boulevard offices in Los Angeles. The Getty family was Jewish and has a very sad history of drug addiction etc. Most people who call themselves Jewish are not really religious Jews. It is more of a ethnicity, but it is not a race. 

On 1/28/2023 at 1:31 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Because they, TESLA fanbos are ignorant dufus's who can't be bothered to know anything about a topic before opening their ignorant mouths about physics, engineering or even basic common sense.

Sure, I knew about it when Tesla made this "giant" announcement about.. an 8 way valve heat exchange system over 3? years ago... AKA an HVAC unit which has been standard on most decent homes, apartments, condos, and all commercial real estate for going on 70 years.  Just because ICE cars only have VAC part and not the H part of HVAC TESLA played make believe this was a "giant leap forward"

Thank you for explaining it. I appreciate your expertise. Do you think that China will be allowed to compete in America with their autos?

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

I am looking at the big picture and trying to explain the important factor. If the market were free there would be traditional large sedans. Instead, we have a plethora of SUVs and minivans etc. 

Quit the insults, they only demean those who use them. 

You said " I think your foot is lodged in your mouth with your eyes closed." I guess you need to practice what you preach Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Natural gas has been and should continue to be the choice.

Ron does America have the infrastructure built for this compared to EV charging stations?

In the UK/Europe we certainly dont, if thats the same in America NG most definitely isnt the best choice as where do you refuel let alone buy a NG vehicle.

However maybe it suits some, here are the pros and cons for CNG v EV

https://www.godigit.com/motor-insurance/car-insurance/find/electric-car-vs-cng-car

(edited)

On 1/31/2023 at 5:29 AM, Rob Plant said:

Gents when major auto manufacturers stop investing in new ICE vehicle models you know the writing is on the wall. 

Methinks Cuba didn't get the memo.

"Sir, it will cost $1,800 to repair your vehicle. Could I interest you in a new $40,000 EV, instead?"

Edited by Michael Sanches
Wrong place.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1