ML

Reality catching up with EV forecasts

(edited)

What a interesting way for environmental activism to end...interests rates.

Musk has hammered the manufacturing ind by lowering price points, Tesla is debt free, well positioned for a price war...This will be a blood bath financially GM..Ford along with VW will be forced vacate the EV market, highly competitive low margins under developed product lines...What could go wrong?

Now scale that to large scale green production and storage. The Green Apocalypse has arrived. The coming next quarter will be a exercise in accounting gymnastics,  the second quarter will be parachuting 101...LMAO 

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

image.png.bb4cc836392a3a8fc05c99a9074c3693.png

Latest-must-have

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Problem is there are no heavy sedans anymore that I know of. Maybe the large Mercedes. 

Ahh and there goes Footinmouth's argument!.

I'm guessing a second hand large Mercedes isnt cheap either!

On 1/23/2023 at 6:42 PM, TailingsPond said:

Kia's opinion on a competing product they don't make is clearly unbiased.

Kia's are low-end.

No one wants an EV, they have zero resale value.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, TailingsPond said:

I understood, but is "you are too poor for nice things" really a dis against EV's?  That may be true for some but EV prices are falling fast (a good thing).

Thankfully, even public transit (largely for those who can't afford cars at all) are switching to nice EV's. https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/electric-buses

More than 99% of the transportation sector is Internal Combustion and will remain so until you and I are long since departed the scene.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:38 AM, TailingsPond said:

I've owned 3 Toyotas and one Nissan - all were very dependable even when abused.

I bought a early '80's (I think '81) Tercel with ~230,000Km on it from a guy who had literally road the car over a jump and caught big air.  He was smashed and drove to the local ski hill and drove it off a big ski jump.  It didn't roll but got stuck in the snow, they left it and ran. He got lots of tickets the next morning (but no drunk driving).

I paid $300 for it.  It still ran at slightly more than 300,000km but it was rusted beyond repair.  Gave it to charity.

I loved that thing.  It didn't even need a good battery; it was light with a manual transmission; push starting it was rather easy.

What are you driving now? An EV?

18 hours ago, markslawson said:

Ron - I have no views on luxury. I bought a new car, a grand Toyota Corolla, for the first time a few years back and it got me places just fine and gave no trouble. My daughter drives it now and she also has not reported any trouble. Not sure what else there is to say. Life is too complicated already without buying electric so I won't. 

I must say the Toyota Hybrid is a great compromise - internal combustion engine but with very good fuel economy especially around towns. The estate is a fairly decent size family car (by European standards)

• Upvote 1

(edited)

KIA EVs you can buy today:

image.png.dceb5c09e13f07f38e1b90d18a3ef846.png

UK EV sales growth remains very strong:

December-2022-UK-Passenger-Auto-Registrations.png

Edited by Jay McKinsey

18 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Musk has hammered the manufacturing ind by lowering price points, Tesla is debt free, well positioned for a price war...This will be a blood bath financially GM..Ford along with VW will be forced vacate the EV market, highly competitive low margins under developed product lines..

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but Tesla is considered to be the more expensive of the EV brands. GM is set to release is Equinox brand at $US30,000. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Bolt are both cheaper, although dated now I think. Tesla's base model is around $US48,000. However, it is in a different part of the market.  

(edited)

3 hours ago, markslawson said:

Um, I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but Tesla is considered to be the more expensive of the EV brands. GM is set to release is Equinox brand at $US30,000. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Bolt are both cheaper, although dated now I think. Tesla's base model is around $US48,000. However, it is in a different part of the market.  

A bit to superficial..to much green media covering for current events. A bit off the cuff here, the market has been losing money already. This new price cut has closed any hope of developing a new market things are by far to violate right now. Do not forget this price cut extends across the entire line of Tesla...it is not a temporary rebate stimulating a certain model line.

“Most OEMs are currently losing money on EVs, and these price cuts are likely to make business even more difficult, just as they are attempting to ramp production of EV offerings,” BofA Securities analyst John Murphy wrote to investors earlier this month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/25/teslas-price-cuts-could-spur-an-ev-pricing-war.html

The Bolt is now 29000 and rising.

The Eqixnox coming in at 35 is the reality.

Tesla model 3 is now 44k. Note that is below the bargain basement Kia.

image.png.dceb5c09e13f07f38e1b90d18a3ef846.png

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

(edited)

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

A bit to superficial..to much green media covering for current events. A bit off the cuff here, the market has been losing money already. This new price cut has closed any hope of developing a new market things are by far to violate right now. Do not forget this price cut extends across the entire line of Tesla...it is not a temporary rebate stimulating a certain model line.

“Most OEMs are currently losing money on EVs, and these price cuts are likely to make business even more difficult, just as they are attempting to ramp production of EV offerings,” BofA Securities analyst John Murphy wrote to investors earlier this month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/25/teslas-price-cuts-could-spur-an-ev-pricing-war.html

The Bolt is now 29000 and rising.

The Eqixnox coming in at 35 is the reality.

Tesla model 3 is now 44k. Note that is below the bargain basement Kia.

Yes, the Tesla price cut is almost certainly designed to reduce the viability of low-price EV startups.  Control the market. 

For you, of course, this doesn't matter because you think the EV market is trivial.

Edited by TailingsPond