ML

E-car Sales Collapse

1 hour ago, specinho said:

Eerrr..... One moment please....

The dispute was about coal powered titanic or renewable (wood, biofuel, solar, wind, wave etc) powered could have saved it from sinking...

The cartoon shows...... that concern might no longer be that important.

Ice melts.

The next titanic would be safe, generally, disregard what kind of fuel powers it... 😯😣

IMG_20230503_235902.jpg

Way ahead of its time 🤣

12 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Ahh yes a million tractors spewing no 2 diesel to get a smidgen of ethanol.. Perfect solution.

Bio Ethanol is actually net positive by about 3:1 even with transportation factored in.  (rose colored fools claim ~10:1 but I looked at their numbers and its pure BS)

Of course one could argue if 3:1, we would have been MUCH better off mining/refining the shale oil in Green river formation with its untold trillions of barrels of "oil" while leaving food prices much lower.  We would then have all the mining infrastructure which can be turned on/off as required or used on other mines. 

OH PS: The ethanol mandate is so absurd we are IMPORTING ~1 Million barrels of the stuff from Brazil... while they do the smart thing and import oil...

On 5/4/2023 at 5:30 AM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Slows the combustion for a more complete burn shall I say. Utter garbage engineering. 

On that one I must agree. I have an 8 Hp outboard for my yacht and always use Esso 99* which is alcohol free. Same with my 3.5Hp tender OB but I don't use that much as I have an electric outboard which works very well with a lithium battery (solar charged of course).

I only use about 25-30 litres a year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

On 5/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Ahh yes a million tractors spewing no 2 diesel to get a smidgen of ethanol.. Perfect solution.

You do realize that the oil industry burns huge amounts of fuel itself, right? 

Even ignoring waste like from giant spills* and flaring, huge amounts of energy are used mining and refining the stuff.  Then you have those inefficient tankers and gas delivery trucks all over the world.

*I wonder how much refined fuel was used cleaning up deepwater horizon...

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

11 hours ago, NickW said:

On that one I must agree. I have an 8 Hp outboard for my yacht and always use Esso 99* which is alcohol free. Same with my 3.5Hp tender OB but I don't use that much as I have an electric outboard which works very well with a lithium battery (solar charged of course).

Advance the timing and enrich the jets. If you can do that you will be happy. Ethonal has a slow combustion wave advancing the timing starts the wave eariler...enrichment makes up for the lower energy density.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

2 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Advance the timing and enrich the jets. If you can do that you will be happy.

He is already happy.

"I don't use that much as I have an electric outboard which works very well"

29 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

You do realize that the oil industry burns huge amounts of fuel itself, right? 

Even ignoring waste like from giant spills* and flaring, huge amounts of energy are used mining and refining the stuff.  Then you have those inefficient tankers and gas delivery trucks all over the world.

*I wonder how much refined fuel was used cleaning up deepwater horizon...

Look chit for brains...growing corn yr after yr absolutely destroys the soil. It will take 15 yrs to rebuild the damage. The amount of petro chemicals used to maintain growth would stagger your mind. Oddly it's all for not, using alcohol actually increases carbon dump...perhaps as much as 20%. 

(edited)

9 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Look chit for brains...growing corn yr after yr absolutely destroys the soil. It will take 15 yrs to rebuild the damage. The amount of petro chemicals used to maintain growth would stagger your mind. Oddly it's all for not, using alcohol actually increases carbon dump...perhaps as much as 20%. 

They are still growing corn... and I am well aware of industrial agriculture.

The fossil fuels cause the majority of the carbon dump you claim not to care about.  Obviously, burning a hydrocarbon like ethanol will emit carbon dioxide - the point of ethanol is it is a form of atmospheric carbon capture (and to stabilize national oil war reserve interests).

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

22 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

They are still growing corn... and I am well aware of industrial agriculture.

The fossil fuels cause the majority of the carbon dump you claim not to care about.  Obviously, burning a hydrocarbon like ethanol will emit carbon dioxide - the point of ethanol it is a form of atmospheric carbon capture (and to stabilize national oil war reserve interests).

Your post is mere hyperbole, talking points when challenged fall on there face. And then a diatribe of hater/ racism etc etc etc. You would do far better influencing young teenagers..

I'm busy now..enjoying the left wing press vilify trumps grabbing games. A question if I may...are they aware a large part of the female population actually grades sexual harassment? Only when a F for failure is handed down....well a F is a bigly problem...quite interesting is not..50 shades of grey was quite the hit with women...hmm where's the science?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/06/why-women-love-fifty-shades-grey

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

19 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

You would do far better influencing young teenagers..

Indeed, they are the youth of the nation - and your future leader / boss.

Secondly, you deflect the topic at every chance:

"Ahh yes[,] a million tractors spewing no 2 diesel to get a smidgen of ethanol.. Perfect solution."

I rebut saying the oil industry is worse at self-consumption of energy.  You deflect to the large energy usage of agricultural industry without addressing my comment that corn is still being grown; therefore the agriculture energy use argument is moot ("food is not gas").  

I then explain how ethanol carbon emissions are different from fossil emissions and you jump to liberalism and racism?!! 

"And then a diatribe of hater/ racism etc etc etc."

Quote me where I did any of that!

FYI

((100*1.2)-100) = 80

100 = 100

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

I'm busy now..enjoying the left wing press vilify trumps grabbing games.

Wow, now you are downplaying sexual assault as "grabbing games?"

FYI the topic was bio-ethanol... this attempt to change the topic is just sad.

What exactly are you busy doing? Masturbating to rape videos? "Blurred lines..." 

You literally just confessed to being an incel asshole.

Edited by TailingsPond

3 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

Wow, now you are downplaying sexual assault as "grabbing games?"

FYI the topic was bio-ethanol... this attempt to change the topic is just sad.

What exactly are you busy doing? Masturbating to rape videos? "Blurred lines..." 

You literally just confessed to being an incel asshole.

Now let's see... Yes Huston we have a launch. 

And then a diatribe of hater/ racism etc etc etc. 

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsSzIS84ks

Trump has confessed as well.

Same old diatribe...different day. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-kavanaugh-accuser-recants-1541371466

Democrats thought they could defeat Brett Kavanaugh with a cascade of uncorroborated smears, but they failed and now the accusations are unraveling. The latest came Friday when Chairman Chuck Grassley referred Judy Munro-Leighton to the Justice Department and the FBI for potential prosecution for making false statements to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Now let's see... Yes Huston we have a launch.

And then a diatribe of hater/ racism etc etc etc. 

I will stand up against rape tolerance.  You brought that up as, yet another, deflection from the topic at hand.

Where did race come up again? Quote me.

Edited by TailingsPond

(edited)

Back on topic...uhh yes the demise of EV sales...Interesting Lithium taking a rathe big hit..down 50%. Ya Don't say...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lithium-prices-hit-hard-ev-180000106.html

Lithium Prices Hit Hard As EV Sales Stumble

Editor OilPrice.com

The price of lithium has experienced a significant decline over recent months, resulting from a deceleration in electric vehicle sales and an increasing supply of the key ingredient used in battery packs.

Since November, the average price of battery-grade lithium carbonate in China has plunged from $84,500 per metric ton to $42,500, or about a 50% decline, according to Bloomberg data.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1

Do no men here have wives, mothers or daughters? Why am I the only one to tell Eyes Wide Open that his comments are unacceptable?

"I'm busy now..enjoying the left wing press vilify trumps grabbing games."

This is a energy forum - and we were on topic - until you tossed nonsense.

(edited)

Well now what do we have here..Oh My

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/14/svb-implosion-climate-tech-on-edge-00086890

Bank collapse throws a chill over clean energy industry

Silicon Valley Bank’s failure dealt a blow to climate startups. It was the bank that would “always pick up the phone when other large money center banks wouldn’t,” a tech-sector analyst said.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TailingsPond said:

Do no men here have wives, mothers or daughters? Why am I the only one to tell Eyes Wide Open that his comments are unacceptable?

"I'm busy now..enjoying the left wing press vilify trumps grabbing games."

This is a energy forum - and we were on topic - until you tossed nonsense.

You do not like one sentence? A perception? Interesting one might think your a fascist...or perhaps a communist...uhh ohhhh..CCP! 

lions Tigers and Bears...ohh my.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, NickW said:

I like to cruise, not race around and the last thing I want is a noisy engine. I like battery powered small boats. In the fifties I drove them on in MacArthur Park in California. They had a big lake with boats that reminded one of little Chris Crafts that had an awning and were named after Disney characters. Also a beautiful vintage boathouse, which is now gone. I think they have pedal boats now. I own one of those plus kayaks. 

Historic photos of Westlake's MacArthur Park - Curbed LA

MacArthur Park Lake Boathouse, 1949 | Los angeles, Vintage los angeles, Boat

https://totally-la.com/legacy-macarthur-park-los-angeles/

MacArthur Park

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Although you are not asking... Would like to chirp in something relevant....

Did a very small experiment many years ago, by chance.  Fermented food waste in hope to know and measure roughly the types and amount of products produced.

It was set up to detect methane, the way it is commonly reported and wholeheartedly believed by all of us... 

However, the experiment was not fully successful due to unexpected interaction or chemical reaction. But alcohol was found to be a more steady and worthy yield. Not methane. 

This leads to the following point .......

If  we are keen on producing clean alcohol as fuel, we could probably consider  producing it from FREE FOOD WASTE collected.

Some countries are known to have invested heavily in trial facilities using mixed waste, in order to get methane... e.g. Singapore....... If i may boldly  presume, the yield would be rather low or close to none... And highly not sustainable..... 😯

There...... 😏

It might be an outcome of copying superficial work, without paying for details...... 😣🤭

Would suggest single type food waste... 

No longer need to waste edible food or agricultural land mass to cultivate harvest for fuel... If proven workable...

IMG_20230504_000119.jpg

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:26 PM, Ecocharger said:

Projections like these are worthless, they assume that everything will go according to some fictitious plan.

The reality is that fossil fuels will continue to support nearly all of the transport business.

Totally agree, Fossil fuels are going nowhere anything soon. This “green” is the most current talking point for all the mouthpieces. It's simply too big an industry to replace in the timeframe they have mapped out.

The wind is unpredictable, Solar is merely Adequate in the desert, which by being in the desert actually throws off its ecosystem. Thermo as seen in regions that have it by the natural environment can only supply so much.

All these don't have the ability to supply the masses because of no thought-through infrastructure. In the end we are better off using nuclear power plants, the last built was before the jump in technology to run and monitoring.

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Party pooper 🎉 Party pooper 🎉 Party pooper 🎉

Before electricity was popular, somewhere in a movie shown a type of mechanical trolley used in transportation.

There would be a hand swing, forward and backward like a jack; a wheeled cart for transporting men and/ or  goods; and a track. It looked similar to this electric trolley below but much smaller wheels. No electricity. No battery. No pollutant released. 

There is also a very old quarry in UK or Scotland ( probably more than 250 years old...), using contra gravity pull in transporting the stones harvested. No electricity. No battery. No pollutant emitted. Highly sustainable. 

Old generations could design things to work without the need to burn, the need of electricity, the need of battery. Could these designs be reviewed and be accommodated to meet the needs? 

IMG_20230506_170655.jpg

Edited by specinho

On 5/6/2023 at 5:26 AM, Ron Wagner said:

I like to cruise, not race around and the last thing I want is a noisy engine. I like battery powered small boats. In the fifties I drove them on in MacArthur Park in California. They had a big lake with boats that reminded one of little Chris Crafts that had an awning and were named after Disney characters. Also a beautiful vintage boathouse, which is now gone. I think they have pedal boats now. I own one of those plus kayaks. 

Historic photos of Westlake's MacArthur Park - Curbed LA

MacArthur Park Lake Boathouse, 1949 | Los angeles, Vintage los angeles, Boat

https://totally-la.com/legacy-macarthur-park-los-angeles/

MacArthur Park

I'm on a tidal estuary with currents up to 2.5kts so definitely need some umph if the tides and wind against me and I don't want to spend the night anchored up as my mooring is dry for an hour either side of low water. 

Both petrol outboards 4 stroke. The larger one is a twin so fairly quiet. Only use sparingly anyway - its a sailing boat. 

• Like 1