ML

E-car Sales Collapse

On 5/5/2023 at 9:46 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Advance the timing and enrich the jets. If you can do that you will be happy. Ethonal has a slow combustion wave advancing the timing starts the wave eariler...enrichment makes up for the lower energy density.

Enriching the mix simply wipes out any supposed reduction on Co2 emission.

On that I decided to use the alcohol free fuel. Its only about 12p a litre more expensive, doesn't absorb water like alcohol and you get more power from it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NickW said:

Enriching the mix simply wipes out any supposed reduction on Co2 emission.

On that I decided to use the alcohol free fuel. Its only about 12p a litre more expensive, doesn't absorb water like alcohol and you get more power from it.

Nick I would go into a few things regarding combustion but it would be almost meaningless. Your 8hp outboard would only see a 20% gain in efficientencecy...and then it more than probably uses oil/gas combo to run...a meaningless exercise.

• Like 1

(edited)

14 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Nick I would go into a few things regarding combustion but it would be almost meaningless. Your 8hp outboard would only see a 20% gain in efficientencecy...and then it more than probably uses oil/gas combo to run...a meaningless exercise.

The primary reason to not use fuels containing alcohol is that the alcohol absorbs water which is quite problematic when the yacht is on a river estuary and not used like a car. Beginning of the season I put 20 litres in the tank and top up a few times from a 5 litre can throughout the summer. 

The outboard is 4 stroke so no oil mix in the fuel. 

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, NickW said:

The primary reason to not use fuels containing alcohol is that the alcohol absorbs water which is quite problematic when the yacht is on a river estuary and not used like a car. Beginning of the season I put 20 litres in the tank and top up a few times from a 5 litre can throughout the summer. 

The outboard is 4 stroke so no oil mix in the fuel. 

The problem is not water.  The problem is oxidation of the gasoline.  Alcohol absorbs more water than gasoline does which holds more oxygen which increases the rate of oxidation and therefore increases the rate of deposition of gasoline oxides which plug your carb low speed passages ruining said carb.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Brazil imprinted in my very young mind as a peculiar place that use alcohol as fuel for farm engines. The history of creation might have been rather long......

Wikipedia shows They might have alcohol gas station, flex cars and motorbikes using alcohol as fuel made by a few famous brands e.g. volkswagen, honda etc. 

The designs must be outstanding. 

Alcohol is considered clean energy as it burns completely to produce co2 and water. Anhydrous condition is highly achievable.

In addition, shall we are keen to stick with traditional fuel of hydrocarbon, it might be easier shall we process alcohol to form them than from existing methods of compressing plastic,  CO2, etc?

If not mistaken, one could produce ethene, ethane easily from ethanol. They should be able to be used like propane, butane, octane, with or without further prolongation. 

If we can produce them from waste......... this source could achieve win-win by converting waste to fuel and fertilizer... 

IMG_20230506_170800.jpg

• Great Response! 1

• Electric vehicle (EV) car sales increased by 60% in 2022, reports Quartz.
  • Meanwhile, sales of conventional cars with internal combustion engines went down by a quarter in the past five years.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:51 AM, specinho said:

Someone bought mom a set of not new samsung product made in Vietnam... it has a smart viewing key that casts phone screen onto TV. 

The quality is Equally bad or Worse off.........Heated up quickly for both phone and charger..... Typical flaws of outsourced products... 'n'

Product QC in Singapore has dwindled. Singapore is probably going down after Lee... 

A time to rethink if outsourcing to empower SEA is worth it.

It would probably better to create another labelling name or brand to be produced by that country, using same technology...... 'o' '-'

Name an electronic product sold in the U.S. that is made in the U.S. and is better quality.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:48 PM, markslawson said:

This idea that the oil industry is somehow subsidised instead of heavily taxed is common among activists, but I'm sorry to tell you its quite wrong. When you next go to a gas/service/petrol station to fill up (I assume you're still driving a petrol engine car), ask yourself how much of the price is government taxes and charges. I know in Australia its something like half. Its more in Europe and less in the US. When activists are challenged on this point they are usually reduced to pointing to various tax concessions available to all industries, as well as oil and gas, and relabelling them as subsidies. The link you cite does not seem to have anything to do with subsidies. EVs have no real market edge and a major disadvantage in lack of recharging infrastructure and charging times. They need incentives to sell.

When subsidies on EVs are removed sales die...for a while, then come back. With the recent drops in EV prices and Chinese cars entering the global markets it is just about at the inflection point where they cost the same as fossil cars but are much cheaper to run and maintain. As for the oil industry, yes, their ability to ignore and abandon old wells without caping them, the building of highways mostly for the oil industry, the costs to our health system and the increasing costs from damage to the environment (from major fires to floods, toxins, spills and habitat damage) ... yes, these are all subsidies not covered by the meager taxes charged. That's why the oil industry was the most profitable out there.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, Ecocharger said:

You have to look at all subsidies, not just immediate incentives.

Same as with oil and gas where they are much bigger.

(edited)

On 5/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Paul-S said:
  • Electric vehicle (EV) car sales increased by 60% in 2022, reports Quartz.
  • Meanwhile, sales of conventional cars with internal combustion engines went down by a quarter in the past five years.

The great reset has flopped epicly...the repercussions will last for many yrs. Therapeutic intervention for those who pinned there hopes and dreams of such folly has arrived. There is hope..much hope..for the effected few.

main-qimg-12861da306fcaac49cd9c010e4566ec6.jpeg

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:15 AM, Paul-S said:

Name an electronic product sold in the U.S. that is made in the U.S. and is better quality.

Iphone. Toyota. General Motor. Etc. 

(edited)

14 minutes ago, specinho said:

Iphone. Toyota. General Motor. Etc. 

I-phones??

Nope dont think so, some parts made in the US but only some.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/where-does-apple-make-iphones

Teslas yes, most made in the US, but are cars classed as electronic products?

I dont think so, so you need to think again.

Maybe lenovo computers or electronic military hardware due to national security reasons.

Edited by Rob Plant

7 hours ago, Paul-S said:

When subsidies on EVs are removed sales die...for a while, then come back. With the recent drops in EV prices and Chinese cars entering the global markets it is just about at the inflection point where they cost the same as fossil cars but are much cheaper to run and maintain. As for the oil industry, yes, their ability to ignore and abandon old wells without caping them, the building of highways mostly for the oil industry, the costs to our health system and the increasing costs from damage to the environment (from major fires to floods, toxins, spills and habitat damage) ... yes, these are all subsidies not covered by the meager taxes charged. That's why the oil industry was the most profitable out there.

You might have missed a great news ....

People are sharing their support for EVs enthusiastically proclaiming they are driving electrical golf carts and the likes car models produced by popular car makers. The price tag might be around  $ 2500 to 5000...... 😯🤭

Not sure if the old practice when they just changed battery at stations or with spare of their own is still helpful... 

IMG_20230509_170654.jpg

On 5/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, Paul-S said:

As for the oil industry, yes, their ability to ignore and abandon old wells without caping them, the building of highways mostly for the oil industry, the costs to our health system and the increasing costs from damage to the environment (from major fires to floods, toxins, spills and habitat damage) ... yes, these are all subsidies not covered by the meager taxes charged.

Paul-S - sorry but this is nonsense. Abandoned wells are routinely plugged. The use of freeways over public transport is a consumer/taxpayer/government choice - if you didn't have them more oil would be used as cars waited in traffic jams. In Australia there is also a road user tax, paid by petrol users. The cost to the health system is an activist fantasy. Sure you get problems due to particulate pollution but the idea is then, as they have been doing, to reduce particulate pollution. Next time you get into your car look at the muffler system, and ask yourself how much it cost to install it - a cost paid by the consumer, I admit, but that should give you an idea of some of the ins and outs of the stories you are telling yourself. And, no, none of it counts as subsidies.. I won't continue the debate. Leave it with you. 

7 hours ago, markslawson said:

Paul-S - sorry but this is nonsense. Abandoned wells are routinely plugged. The use of freeways over public transport is a consumer/taxpayer/government choice - if you didn't have them more oil would be used as cars waited in traffic jams. In Australia there is also a road user tax, paid by petrol users. The cost to the health system is an activist fantasy. Sure you get problems due to particulate pollution but the idea is then, as they have been doing, to reduce particulate pollution. Next time you get into your car look at the muffler system, and ask yourself how much it cost to install it - a cost paid by the consumer, I admit, but that should give you an idea of some of the ins and outs of the stories you are telling yourself. And, no, none of it counts as subsidies.. I won't continue the debate. Leave it with you. 

I think flaring is a problem that needs to be sorted out somehow, how I'm afraid I dont know. I guess theres a lot of people on here that would have a much better idea than me.

16 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

I think flaring is a problem that needs to be sorted out somehow, how I'm afraid I dont know. I guess theres a lot of people on here that would have a much better idea than me.

Flaring and methane leakage from pipes is certainly something that could be addressed but I also dunno just how it would be done - although they are doing more about methane leaks..  

On 5/6/2023 at 9:19 PM, RichieRich$ said:

Totally agree, Fossil fuels are going nowhere anything soon. This “green” is the most current talking point for all the mouthpieces. It's simply too big an industry to replace in the timeframe they have mapped out.

The wind is unpredictable, Solar is merely Adequate in the desert, which by being in the desert actually throws off its ecosystem. Thermo as seen in regions that have it by the natural environment can only supply so much.

All these don't have the ability to supply the masses because of no thought-through infrastructure. In the end we are better off using nuclear power plants, the last built was before the jump in technology to run and monitoring.

Tell it to the NIMBY's all around the world. It has run out of support from the average person and has lost business decades getting permission to build and ended at double or triple plus the initial estimated cost. So the price to the consumer ends up sky high. 

On 5/7/2023 at 1:51 PM, NickW said:

I'm on a tidal estuary with currents up to 2.5kts so definitely need some umph if the tides and wind against me and I don't want to spend the night anchored up as my mooring is dry for an hour either side of low water. 

Both petrol outboards 4 stroke. The larger one is a twin so fairly quiet. Only use sparingly anyway - its a sailing boat. 

The sailing sounds very exciting there. My only experience with ocean sailing is on a large catamaran off the Napali Coast of Kauai, as a passenger. 

14 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Tell it to the NIMBY's all around the world. It has run out of support from the average person and has lost business decades getting permission to build and ended at double or triple plus the initial estimated cost. So the price to the consumer ends up sky high. 

And this Cost factorand the current lack of infrastructure structures in major living areas unable to connect in any meaningful way, at this time is not economically viable. It may be in the future but not anytime soon.

Another sign this is nothing going to happen anytime soon is all the new pipelines are being built and proposed in Europe as in the Arab countries to move oil and gas out from the source to the end users.

I hardly think that these multiple billion-dollar investments are being made with the prospect of the ending of fossil fuels anytime soon.

• Great Response! 1

10 hours ago, RichieRich$ said:

And this Cost factorand the current lack of infrastructure structures in major living areas unable to connect in any meaningful way, at this time is not economically viable. It may be in the future but not anytime soon.

Another sign this is nothing going to happen anytime soon is all the new pipelines are being built and proposed in Europe as in the Arab countries to move oil and gas out from the source to the end users.

I hardly think that these multiple billion-dollar investments are being made with the prospect of the ending of fossil fuels anytime soon.

Good businessmen know that fossil fuels are going to be the major energy sources for many many decades. I think that the average American voter is also coming to that conclusion. 

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Good businessmen know that fossil fuels are going to be the major energy sources for many many decades. I think that the average American voter is also coming to that conclusion. 

ha ha ha

the need for Fossil fuels are being reduced and the reduction is increasing.......

And a majority of American are  calling for it

Enjoy the transition......

Average  American Voter is on board with clean air, renewables and EV's

You must be one of the less than 30 percent .........Someone has to be on the losing team........and you do not get a trophy for losing

The new survey finds 69% of Americans say the more important energy priority for the country should be developing renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar; fewer (30%) prioritize expanding the production of fossil fuels, such as oil, coal and natural gas.Mar 1, 2022

now you were babbling some BS about good Businessmen ....They are backing renewables not Fossil Fuels

(edited)

8 hours ago, notsonice said:

now you were babbling some BS about good Businessmen ....They are backing renewables not Fossil Fuels

Babbling BS...Ya Don't Say. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2022/03/01/americans-largely-favor-u-s-taking-steps-to-become-carbon-neutral-by-2050/

Americans Largely Favor U.S. Taking Steps To Become Carbon Neutral by 2050

But just 31% want to phase out use of fossil fuels completely

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Agreed, however don't overestimate the number of stupid people out there that believe anything coming from their phones.

An entire generation has learned nothing but how to take selfies and post stupid personal information about themselves online. 

Everything that they jump onboard blindly for has been Actors, Musicians, PAC’s doing slick ad’s saying be part of the inclusive group and do what we say. Free thought and learning the facts, well that train left the station a long time ago.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Babbling BS...Ya Don't Say. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2022/03/01/americans-largely-favor-u-s-taking-steps-to-become-carbon-neutral-by-2050/

Americans Largely Favor U.S. Taking Steps To Become Carbon Neutral by 2050

But just 31% want to phase out use of fossil fuels completely

yeah you missed the word.......... completely.......

Thanks for jumping on the band wagon and promoting Carbon Neutral by 2050...which means a 80 to 90 percent reduction of the use of Fossil Fuels....

Enjoy the transition, it is great.......Keep promoting Carbon nuetrality...You are now a full fledged member of the Green Revolution

• Haha 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, RichieRich$ said:

Agreed, however don't overestimate the number of stupid people out there that believe anything coming from their phones.

An entire generation has learned nothing but how to take selfies and post stupid personal information about themselves online. 

Everything that they jump onboard blindly for has been Actors, Musicians, PAC’s doing slick ad’s saying be part of the inclusive group and do what we say. Free thought and learning the facts, well that train left the station a long time ago.

MAGA!!

Trump had a tv show and is excellent at deceiving people.

Edited by TailingsPond