ML

E-car Sales Collapse

(edited)

15 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

I have a small electrical generator and movable panels for emergency use. We depend on our natural gas line for heat. We have central air and heat but also a small heating stove in the living room that could switch to propane. I plan on getting a natural gas/propane dual fuel generator also. I am tempted to add one or two panels to my roof. I have only one half of my garage that is a good angle with all of our trees. I have an old gasoline generator that I couldn't even start on a trial, but never needed it. 

I am pretty bad at home improvement but YouTube offers everyone great education. 

Congratulations on your system!

Well, here in W. Washington our trees hit 100ft by age 40... and by age ~100 are 150ft and counting...  If you are in Oregon it is even worse for height.  So solar in Washington is beyond hopeless even discounting the piss poor weather for solar unless you can cut down all of your trees and your neighbors neighbors trees as well.  Then throw on all the moss/algae/pollen which has to be cleaned off and high resin adhesion making solar trully pitiful here.  At least back east the trees only grow ~60ft tall when grown in a city anyways. 

PS: Due to cedar pollen, on my solar, I lost 25%,  Winter/spring algae is roughly -15%.  I haven't ever let them get truly dirty but.... If in a VERY built up area of a city, you would not have my pollen/algae problems. 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Upvote 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:15 AM, gkam44 said:

This is ridiculous. We have two EVs powered by our PV system on the roof.  It paid back in three years and now gives us free power for the household and both electric cars. None of my friends who got EVs regret the option, and are wildly in favor of them.

How many here have an EV?  If not how do you expect to have any credibility?

Now now now...ok will soften my reply just a smidgen. You must have one hell of a electric bill or you purchased your PV system at the Dollar store...And thens there is labor, i am quite sure a man of your discpline has it all up to code.

We've just installed a 8000 watt solar system in the landyacht...rather enlightening process for a few toys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Well, here in W. Washington our trees hit 100ft by age 40... and by age ~100 are 150ft and counting...  If you are in Oregon it is even worse for height.  So solar in Washington is beyond hopeless even discounting the piss poor weather for solar unless you can cut down all of your trees and your neighbors neighbors trees as well.  Then throw on all the moss/algae/pollen which has to be cleaned off and high resin adhesion making solar trully pitiful here.  At least back east the trees only grow ~60ft tall when grown in a city anyways. 

PS: Due to cedar pollen, on my solar, I lost 25%,  Winter/spring algae is roughly -15%.  I haven't ever let them get truly dirty but.... If in a VERY built up area of a city, you would not have my pollen/algae problems. 

Thanks for the information. My oaks are 150 years old and very large and very messy with acorns, twigs, pollen, large leaves, My Eastern White pines are small and slow growing. Not the same as the Western White Pines.  My Silver maples are also very messy with helicopter seeds, leaves, and pollen. Some of my oaks are, I would guess, 70 feet tall and just as wide. The branches are as big as many trees are. They were planted right after the Civil War. I never thought about the residue they would leave. I will just use my emergency panels and solar "generator." Of course it is not a real generator without the panels. I may invest in more battery backup. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Thanks for the information. My oaks are 150 years old and very large and very messy with acorns, twigs, pollen, large leaves, My Eastern White pines are small and slow growing. Not the same as the Western White Pines.  My Silver maples are also very messy with helicopter seeds, leaves, and pollen. Some of my oaks are, I would guess, 70 feet tall and just as wide. The branches are as big as many trees are. They were planted right after the Civil War. I never thought about the residue they would leave. I will just use my emergency panels and solar "generator." Of course it is not a real generator without the panels. I may invest in more battery backup. 

Our deciduous trees leave little to no residue from our maples/alders.  Our cedar pollen is literally like glue in the right conditions and requires HARD scrubbing to get it off.  Now if the pollen comes down when it is raining, it self cleans, but if dry... and then we get a dew(always due in spring)... g-l-u-e.  All trees are not equal. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 4/26/2023 at 5:46 AM, Ron Wagner said:

Especially those made in China. 

Someone bought mom a set of not new samsung product made in Vietnam... it has a smart viewing key that casts phone screen onto TV. 

The quality is Equally bad or Worse off.........Heated up quickly for both phone and charger..... Typical flaws of outsourced products... 'n'

Product QC in Singapore has dwindled. Singapore is probably going down after Lee... 

A time to rethink if outsourcing to empower SEA is worth it.

It would probably better to create another labelling name or brand to be produced by that country, using same technology...... 'o' '-'

Edited by specinho

A Single Tesla Battery Production Causes Pollution (CO2) Equivalent to 8 Years of Gas Engine Emissions

Well this was a novel idea, GO GREEN!! novel idea

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/11/2023 at 6:51 AM, notsonice said:

from your freinds at GS

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/electric-vehicles-are-forecast-to-be-half-of-global-car-sales-by-2035.html#:~:text=EV sales will soar to,from 2% during that span.

Electric vehicles are forecast to be half of global car sales by 2035

10 FEB 2023
TOPIC: SUSTAINABILITY

image-800x450.jpg

The adoption of electric vehicles is rising sharply as the global push for net-zero carbon emissions accelerates. EVs will make up about half of new car sales worldwide by 2035, according to Goldman Sachs Research.

While the EV sector is beset by some major crosscurrents — rising prices for electrical power, inflation for the materials that make up battery components and government policies like the Inflation Reduction Act in the U.S. and Europe’s response to the IRA  — our strategists expect technology innovation to supersede these forces in the coming years.

EV sales will soar to about 73 million units in 2040, up from around 2 million in 2020, according to forecasts by Goldman Sachs Research. The percentage of EVs in worldwide car sales, meanwhile, is expected to rise to 61% from 2% during that span. The share of EV sales is anticipated to be well over 80% in many developed countries.

“We expect the automobile industry to undergo a major transformation between 2020 and 2030, driven by the increasing adoption of vehicle electrification and autonomous driving,” Goldman Sachs equity research strategist Kota Yuzawa wrote in the team’s report. There will be no let-up in the EV industry’s expansion as environmental rules tighten and electrification technologies become more sophisticated. But the sector’s sources of profits will change dramatically

As the ecosystem grows, Goldman Sachs Research expects the way the industry makes money will be transformed. Our strategists forecast sales of EVs to grow by 32% annually this decade, even as sales of products related to gasoline engines slump. The global car industry’s operating profits are expected to rise to $418 billion in 2030, up from $315 billion in 2020, while the pool of profits for EVs is forecast to increase to $110 billion from $1 billion. 

In the meantime, the market for EV batteries, which account for as much as 40% of the car’s cost, is becoming concentrated. The top five battery makers had more than 80% of the global market share in 2020, according to Goldman Sachs Research estimates. By comparison, the top five automakers had about 40% of the worldwide market. Pricing power has shifted to the battery makers, giving them an edge in generating higher earnings. In an attempt to rebalance their pricing power with battery makers, finished-vehicle assemblers are rushing to develop vertically integrated production and joint-venture p...................

Projections like these are worthless, they assume that everything will go according to some fictitious plan.

The reality is that fossil fuels will continue to support nearly all of the transport business.

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-cars-cost-versus-gas-powered-vehicles-2023-4?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=referral

Electric cars could cost the same as gas-powered ones as soon as 2025 — so long as you buy small

The headline is misleading. Compact ICE cars are far lower in price than comparable Electric vehicles IMHO. RCW

Apr 28, 2023, 9:57 AM CDT

The Ram 1500 REV electric pickup truck.
Americans love SUVs and pickup trucks. That means they might not see less expensive EV options until the 2030s.  Ram

• Electric cars could cost the same as gas-powered ones as early as the mid-2020s.
  • That's only if shoppers go small, according to new analysis from the International Energy Agency.
  • But most American car-buyers aren't interested in smaller vehicles and opt for SUVs instead.

Insider recommends waking up with Morning Brew Logo Morning Brew, a daily newsletter.

Email address

By clicking “Sign Up,” you also agree to marketing emails from both Insider and Morning Brew; and you accept Insider’s Terms and Privacy Policy. Click here for Morning Brew’s privacy policy.

While price is still one of the biggest barriers to widespread electric car adoption, EVs could cost the same as gas-powered ones as soon as 2025, a new analysis said — but there's a caveat.

It's as long as shoppers buy small, according to the International Energy Agency's latest global EV outlook.

"Our current expectation is that we can see price parity in small and medium-sized electric cars in North America and European markets somewhere in the mid-2020s," Timar Guell, the IEA's energy technology policy head, told Reuters.

There's a lot of talk about when the cost of an EV might match that of an internal combustion engine vehicle. Certainly, there are some more affordable electric models, bolstered by the help of (albeit limited) EV tax credits, and costs are coming down.

Still, the average new EV cost $58,940 in March, according to Kelley Blue Book, while the average new gas-powered car went for $48,008. 

Parity would be huge for boosting EV adoption in the US, which stood at around 6% of the US market last year.

But hitting a more level price point would require a compromise on the part of American consumers.

Generally, US car buyers largely lean toward SUVs and pickups. The country's top-selling vehicles last year were the Ford F-Series, the Chevrolet Silverado, Ram pickup lineup, and Toyota RAV4. And trucks and SUVs are on pace to account for 78% of new-vehicle retail sales this month, according to J.D. Power.

Those vehicle buyers aren't likely to be in luck in the near-term if they want to go electric but are waiting for prices to drop.

Bigger battery-powered vehicles have batteries that are two- to three-times larger than small cars, according to the IEA, which requires more critical minerals that are costly. 

"For larger cars like SUVs and pick-ups, purchasing parity is likely to come later, probably into the 2030s," Guell told Reuters.

(edited)

On 4/27/2023 at 12:54 AM, notsonice said:

who cars about one model ???? 

reality is 

Crude oil prices today - Oilprice.com

IEA: EVs Will Account For 20% Of All Car Sales This Year

By Tsvetana Paraskova - Apr 26, 2023, 12:30 PM CDT

The surge in electric vehicle sales will continue this year after a record 2022, with EVs accounting for nearly one-fifth of global car sales in 2023, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said on Wednesday. 

The momentum of EVs taking a growing share of the global car market is set to continue in the coming years to the point of displacing 5 million barrels per day of oil, the IEA said in its annual report Global EV Outlook 2023.

Last year, EV sales accounted for 14% of all new cars sold globally, up from around 9% in 2021 and less than 5% in 2020. China, Europe, and the United States continue to dominate EV sales, with China the frontrunner once again, accounting for around 60% of global electric car sales.  

Again, the U.S. number of NEW auto sales is about 7% EV, so about 93% of NEW CAR (not vehicle) sales were fossil fuel, and  about 99.9% of total transportation sector sales, new and used, were fossil fuels. Worldwide probably well over 99% of total transport sector is fossil fuel.

So, this is NOTHING to be worth thinking about, old boy.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Again, the U.S. number of NEW auto sales is about 7% EV, so about 93% of NEW CAR (not vehicle) sales were fossil fuel, and  about 99.9% of total transportation sector sales, new and used, were fossil fuels. Worldwide probably well over 99% of total transport sector is fossil fuel.

So, this is NOTHING to be worth thinking about, old boy.

get used to a new record every month ....2nd quarter .....8 percent...3rd quarter 9 percent...4th quarter 10 percent

2024 1st quarter 11 percent............oh it just keeps on getting bigger and bigger and your world gets smaller and smaller.....

Cash for Clunkers????? you know it is coming soon .....Too Many old ICE vehicles ....outdated by EV's

Another Record Broken: Q1 Electric Vehicle Sales Surpass 250,000, as EV Market Share in the U.S. Jumps to 7.2% of Total Sales

Wednesday April 12, 2023

(edited)

8 hours ago, notsonice said:

get used to a new record every month ....2nd quarter .....8 percent...3rd quarter 9 percent...4th quarter 10 percent

2024 1st quarter 11 percent............oh it just keeps on getting bigger and bigger and your world gets smaller and smaller.....

Cash for Clunkers????? you know it is coming soon .....Too Many old ICE vehicles ....outdated by EV's

Another Record Broken: Q1 Electric Vehicle Sales Surpass 250,000, as EV Market Share in the U.S. Jumps to 7.2% of Total Sales

Wednesday April 12, 2023

Hmm 

200.gif

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Hmm 

200.gif

Titantic...Coal Powered....

on the bottom.....

Coal Powered anything.....ICEBERG Ahead........Full Stop......OOOOPS

Disaster........

Renewables to the Rescue

(edited)

On 4/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, RichieRich$ said:

A Single Tesla Battery Production Causes Pollution (CO2) Equivalent to 8 Years of Gas Engine Emissions

Well this was a novel idea, GO GREEN!! novel idea

I cannot comment on the emissions from manufacturing and assembling Tesla Batteries.  I can only reference a source.

The amount of energy consumed to manufacture a Tesla car battery varies depending on the size of the battery and the manufacturing process used. A study by the University of Michigan found that it takes about 50-65 kWh of electricity to produce a kWh of battery capacity. For example, a Tesla Model 3 with a 75 kWh battery would require about 3,750 kWh of electricity to produce.  A gallon of gasoline contains about 120,238 Btu.

1 Btu = 1055.056 joules, 1 watt-hour = 3600 joules

Therefore, 1 Btu = 1055.056 / 3600 = 0.293 watt-hours

And, 120,238 Btu = 120,238 * 0.293 = 35,238.279 watt-hours = about 35 KWh.

OR, the equivalent of about 110 gallons of gasoline.

The energy used to manufacture a Tesla car battery is offset by the energy savings that the car provides over its lifetime. A Tesla Model 3 will save about 15,000 gallons of gasoline over its lifetime, which is equivalent to about 500,000 kWh of electricity.

In other words, the energy used to manufacture a Tesla car battery is a small fraction of the energy savings that the car provides over its lifetime.

That said, I doubt that the authors included the emissions from "obtaining, manufacturing and transporting" the petroleum feedstock and refining of gasoline.

Edited by turbguy
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, notsonice said:

Titantic...Coal Powered....

on the bottom.....

Coal Powered anything.....ICEBERG Ahead........Full Stop......OOOOPS

Disaster........

Renewables to the Rescue

IMG_20230502_135028.jpg

On 5/1/2023 at 4:56 AM, notsonice said:

Wednesday April 12, 2023

Percentage changes mean nothing, you need to look at the bigger picture, the percentage of the stock. I guess you skipped math in high school.

11 hours ago, specinho said:

IMG_20230502_135028.jpg

Global warming is your thing?????

I guess being on a boat will keep you from being flooded out by the rising ocean

• Haha 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Percentage changes mean nothing, you need to look at the bigger picture, the percentage of the stock. I guess you skipped math in high school.

Percentage changes mean nothing?????

oh boy you really are hurting.............

What happened to your less than 1 percent claim.........rising EV sales proving you wrong again

Remember when digital cameras first came out and Kodak claimed they were just a small percentage of the market...A passing fad......

Kodak??? do they even exist today.........Fossil Fuels on the same path as Photographic Film

Edited by notsonice
  • Downvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, turbguy said:

the petroleum feedstock

Ahh yes a million tractors spewing no 2 diesel to get a smidgen of ethanol.. Perfect solution.

• Upvote 1

Ahh yes a million tractors spewing no 2 diesel to get a smidgen of ethanol.. Perfect solution.

Wasn't that a Republican GW plan? He was chasing the Iowa voter. How quickly y’all reds forget. When my generation dies off you can get away with Fox News type propaganda. I don’t think the youth of either party can read a chart. We know the politicians cant. 

Yeah, I have always questioned the thermodynamics of that corn-based additive.

It's better consumed when packaged in 750ml bottles.

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, notsonice said:

Percentage changes mean nothing?????

oh boy you really are hurting.............

What happened to your less than 1 percent claim.........rising EV sales proving you wrong again

Remember when digital cameras first came out and Kodak claimed they were just a small percentage of the market...A passing fad......

Kodak??? do they even exist today.........Fossil Fuels on the same path as Photographic Film

Fuji film was the king of portable on the spot printed pics. Digital cameras ended their rein. Electric cars are killing oil demand around the world. Don’t forget a old brain dead Biden led the charge. And you picked Trump to lose to him. Got to be embarrassing. All this losing is oil based which is unfortunate. Fossil fuels once led civilization. Then rivers burned and humans died from mismanagement. Better decisions might have prolonged oils glory days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Yeah, I have always questioned the thermodynamics of that corn-based additive.

It's better consumed when packaged in 750ml bottles.

Slows the combustion for a more complete burn shall I say. Utter garbage engineering. 

59 minutes ago, Boat said:

Wasn't that a Republican GW plan? He was chasing the Iowa voter. How quickly y’all reds forget. When my generation dies off you can get away with Fox News type propaganda. I don’t think the youth of either party can read a chart. We know the politicians cant. 

Obama's as usual, it would be simple to bust on him..but of course this is not the time for a racist rant...yet!

On 5/3/2023 at 2:01 AM, notsonice said:

Global warming is your thing?????

I guess being on a boat will keep you from being flooded out by the rising ocean

Eerrr..... One moment please....

The dispute was about coal powered titanic or renewable (wood, biofuel, solar, wind, wave etc) powered could have saved it from sinking...

The cartoon shows...... that concern might no longer be that important.

Ice melts.

The next titanic would be safe, generally, disregard what kind of fuel powers it... 😯😣

IMG_20230503_235902.jpg

• Upvote 1