Marina Schwarz

Chevron Goes Full Predictive Analytics on its Fields

"Working with Internet of Things services from Microsoft Corp., Chevron aims to enable thousands of pieces of equipment with sensors by 2024 to predict exactly when equipment will need to be serviced."

Sensors FTW. Especially good for pipelines.

I attending a talk by BP on this about it running a refinery a couple of years ago. All the data is there already in most cases from existing systems its just about understanding it, extra sensors will help but its data management that is the trick.

• Like 1

The internet of things presents extremely challenging security issues going forward.  Don't get me wrong, the internet of things will bring, in my humble opinion, many awe inspiring changes to the world, but it will also bring very serious new dangers as well.

• Like 1

And as Marina's post indicates, the IOT (internet of things) will displace way more workers than existing technologies.  How the heck are people going to earn a living?  For anyone with young kids, you'd better not make any plans for their rooms.  In fact you may want to make plans for home expansions to accommodate their spouses and your grandchildren.  Pay off your mortgages, you just might have to live there for a few generations while the world figures this out.

10 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

And as Marina's post indicates, the IOT (internet of things) will displace way more workers than existing technologies.  How the heck are people going to earn a living?  For anyone with young kids, you'd better not make any plans for their rooms.  In fact you may want to make plans for home expansions to accommodate their spouses and your grandchildren.  Pay off your mortgages, you just might have to live there for a few generations while the world figures this out.

There is going to be a lot of jobs in IT security. I am seeing it already in O&G I am getting job emails about it and invites to events despite never having done it. Its another revolution like the industrial revolution some jobs lost some jobs gained in the end humanity should all be better for it. Thing to remember is you need people to buy products otherwise the products utilizing the internet of things will not be developed or sold so you need people to work to have the money to buy them. New job types will appear so make sure your kids are multi talented and able to adapt teach them to think rather than rote learn as already you can see people making up new jobs eg I am sure your kids watch people on Youtube playing online games, these guys make a lot of money.