Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DD

Tony Blair: A No-Deal Brexit is Possible But Unlikely

Alongside Brexit, the future of the U.K. Labour Party and whether moderate lawmakers choose to resign is the “big political question” over the next year, former Prime Minister Tony Blair said. “There is a genuine anxiety in a large part of the Labour Party today that it’s been taken over by people who are not from the normal traditions of the Labour Party,” Blair said on Bloomberg TV. “There will be some people who want to stay and fight,” he said, while others will quit if they see no prospect of the party returning “to what I would call a sensible Labour position.” Blair said the most likely outcome in the Brexit process is “gridlock” in Parliament, with Prime Minister Theresa May unable to secure a majority for her plan to retain relatively close ties to the EU. Blair said the “political flaw” in May’s approach was that her Brexit proposal won’t appeal to either Remainers or Leavers in the Brexit debate. “Even though people at the moment are saying, ‘no, no we’re not going to have another vote,’ if you do end up with that paralysis the logical way out is to go back to the people,” he said. “It’s actually the rational thing to do because we’ve had over two years of negotiation and we now have a much enlarged view of what this all means.

Blah,blah, blah - from comfortable chair. New accounts filed by Tony Blair Institute show income of £35million, admin costs of £41million. That's an operating loss of £6million.

Directly to the point. Entirely correct too! PM May and British Government have no vision...

According to  Office for National Statistics(2017) " Cost of average home has risen 259% since 1997, while earnings grew 68% in same period...A resident of London would have needed to pay 12.9 times their earnings to buy a house in 2016, up from 6.9 times in 2002" . Glory days are behind the UK.

Yep. Vicious circle. The "deadlock"-situation is not satisfying. But this can also be seen as a mistake of the EU. The EU-representatives did not really make offers. The British offer of putting more emphasis on free trade and less on "cohesion" should have been taken more serious by EU. 

The people voted in 2016. The next vote is a General Election. Democracy has rules.

I'm sure when people((most of them) first voted don't think they knew what they voted for. Now we know what BREXIT entails, think a second vote would be fairer.

2 hours ago, damirUSBiH said:

I'm sure when people((most of them) first voted don't think they knew what they voted for. Now we know what BREXIT entails, think a second vote would be fairer.

I still don't know what Brexit means. I would go further to suggest nobody will know until after we leave. The guvnor of the Bank of England was so convinced the leave vote would immediately entail armageddon he lowered interest rates immediately to stave of disaster and here we are with record employment chugging along and his rate cut reversed, if he has no idea who has? The vote was made with nobody knowing the pros or cons as both sides competed to come up with the biggest lies on what would happen if people did not listen to them. There are too many variables to say what will happen anyone who does is a liar however the people voted to leave and to have another vote is a betrayal of democracy. 

What happens if there was another vote and it was remain are we allowed another vote so its true democracy and best of 3 votes? Do you  think there would be peaceful acceptance of the breaking of democratic rules if there was another vote? I am not so sure I think there would be a lot of justifiably angry people. The vote has been made we now make our own destiny better or for worse. The UK has been in the EU for 45 years, all be it was a just a trading block for many years, but the UK managed quite happily on its own for 3 centuries before that outside and usually fighting wars with many in the EU and even managed to rule a large part of the globe I am sure it can cope with leaving the EU. What it cannot cope with is a betrayal of democracy as that would set the stage for people believing there is no point in democracy which would be much worse for the UK that any Remainer nightmare Brexit scenario.

• Like 1