Marina Schwarz

No Trans Mountain, No Spill Response Program for B.C.

"I’ve had emails from people who sneer at all these measures. They’re obsessed with stopping this project, no matter how safe it is, how much it helps the economy or how many workers it employs.

But the reality is that when (or if) it’s all done, B.C.’s coast may well be the safest on the planet."

^ this is pretty telling.

The keep oil in the ground crowd simply cannot be reasoned with.  Cult-like religious fervor.

Meanwhile, efforts to recruit a new breed of extreme environmental activists are underway.  Takes the concept of a "tree hugger" a few notches higher on the crazy-o-meter:

Prof touts 'ecosexuality' as 'environmental activist strategy'

• Like 1

“Can ecosexuality’s posthumanist tendencies queer our speciesist modes of belonging and foster an environmentalism that is not foundationally anthropocentric nor steeped in ‘reproductive futurism’?”

I am certain they can, indeed, in a completetionally non-foundationally anthropocentric or reproductive-futurismical manner, yes.

And to think how I laughed, reminded of Terry Pratchett's genius when he used the word "speciesist" in a Discworld novel...

So, now "queer" is a verb, too. Lovely.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

"I’ve had emails from people who sneer at all these measures. They’re obsessed with stopping this project, no matter how safe it is, how much it helps the economy or how many workers it employs.

But the reality is that when (or if) it’s all done, B.C.’s coast may well be the safest on the planet."

^ this is pretty telling.

The keep oil in the ground crowd simply cannot be reasoned with.  Cult-like religious fervor.

Meanwhile, efforts to recruit a new breed of extreme environmental activists are underway.  Takes the concept of a "tree hugger" a few notches higher on the crazy-o-meter:

Prof touts 'ecosexuality' as 'environmental activist strategy'

I actually read that drivel.  It reads like a professor debating a professor, far removed from the world outside campus and local coffee/book shops, with extra points for exacting descriptives. 

One ironic thing I got from it:  These people are actually going to screw the planet!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

One ironic thing I got from it:  These people are actually going to screw the planet!

Well, if this new breed of extremists only screws trees, plants and dirt, they will eventually remove themselves from the human gene pool.  Darwin Award material.  So there's that.  Always look on the bright side : )

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Can ecosexuality’s posthumanist tendencies queer our speciesist modes of belonging and foster an environmentalism that is not foundationally anthropocentric nor steeped in ‘reproductive futurism’?”

I am certain they can, indeed, in a completetionally non-foundationally anthropocentric or reproductive-futurismical manner, yes.

Have you considered a field in Academics?

• Upvote 2

That video/song lifted my spirits at just the right moment.  Thank you, Sir Tom!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Have you considered a field in Academics?

You are talking to an almost MA in English literature. I quit when the time came to write a dissertation. Boring. But I have a PhD in Pratchettics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

35 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

It can help to laugh at difficulties rather than get upset.

On that YouTube page there were a few Red Green Show segments.  Great stuff.  "And remember: If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy".  He's a sort of handyman, or handyperson, or handyworker.

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

“Can ecosexuality’s posthumanist tendencies queer our speciesist modes of belonging and foster an environmentalism that is not foundationally anthropocentric nor steeped in ‘reproductive futurism’?”

WHAT?

• Upvote 1

I double dog dare someone to invite this professor to our forum! @Marina Schwarz@Tom Kirkman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

On that YouTube page there were a few Red Green Show segments.  Great stuff.  "And remember: If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy".  He's a sort of handyman, or handyperson, or handyworker.

handywordforsentientbiped

@Rodent, I doubt the good professor would be willing to touch our bunch with a 100-foot pole. Regrettably. Regretabilatiously.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

I double dog dare someone to invite this professor to our forum! @Marina Schwarz@Tom Kirkman

7 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

@Rodent, I doubt the good professor would be willing to touch our bunch with a 100-foot pole. Regrettably. Regretabilatiously.

Since this forum offers freedom of friendly dissent and has no particular issues debating opposing viewpoints, I seriously doubt this ivory tower professor would be inclined to venture here. 

Agreed with Marina, too bad, having the good professor debate here would be ... amusing.

15 hours ago, Rodent said:

And, hot off the press:

“Ecosexuality celebrates the carnal and grotesque, particularly in some of its campiest moments,” Whitworth explains, offering the example that some “wedding performers wear dildos outside their clothing and don costumes that accentuate and exaggerate their genitalia.”

---------------------------

Now, say what you will, at least this crowd is not boring! Have drink, folks  (you are going to need it!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

And, hot off the press:

“Ecosexuality celebrates the carnal and grotesque, particularly in some of its campiest moments,” Whitworth explains, offering the example that some “wedding performers wear dildos outside their clothing and don costumes that accentuate and exaggerate their genitalia.”

---------------------------

Now, say what you will, at least this crowd is not boring! Have drink, folks  (you are going to need it!)

It is the first green group that I am considering joining.  I'll have to go to a couple of their conferences to see their pitch, though.  Once I make my decision, I may not tell you what it is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The original quote was:    "And remember: If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy"

Marina, I think you missed the implication.  That usage of the word "handy" seems to reference some sort of sexual versatility. I dunno; I'm not that sophisticated.