Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AS

Gaddafi's son to run for Libyan president?

Just saw a Libyan news report saying Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam, is going to run for president ... So even if General Haftar isn't another Gaddafi ... not sure how much support he might have in this chaos. 

I would be inclined to think then that General Haftar isn't running, and Saif Gaddafi is a friend. I'm not sure entirely, but now he's talking about having enough militia forces to 'retake' Tripoli, which is under UN-backed government administration. Not sure what he means by that. Just what Libya needs ... another militia. 

Well, the UN is calling for elections in 2018, and they need all rival militias out of Tripoli in order to make that happen, so it almost sounds to me as if the UN is giving Saif the green light here. 

isn't he wanted by the ICC on charges of crimes against humanity 

truth to be told, he knows more on managing the country than current rulers, who ever is running Libya now

(edited)

He can't make a bigger mess of things than the present western inspired Calamity

Edited by JohnAtronis

4 minutes ago, Joanna said:

truth to be told, he knows more on managing the country than current rulers, who ever is running Libya now

He is the one who bought his phd from London school of Economics for £ 2 millions.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

isn't he wanted by the ICC on charges of crimes against humanity 

Check some photos of Libya before and after his father was deposed. I would take him over the ISIS and other fundamentalist groups any day. Plus, free education, free medical...

24 minutes ago, Seleskya said:

Just saw a Libyan news report saying Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam, is going to run for president ... So even if General Haftar isn't another Gaddafi ... not sure how much support he might have in this chaos. 

Do you remember when Pol Pot ran for election in Cambodia

27 minutes ago, Seleskya said:

Didn't see that coming. Is there anyone from Saddam's family still alive to run for Iraqi elections?

On 12/28/2017 at 5:18 PM, Joanna said:

um ... Lockerbie?

At the risk of sounding crazy, I really don't think democracy is for every country. It's isn't a cure all for every political ailment. It works some places and not others. The 'white man's burden to spread democracy is a bit of an overstep and rarely genuine as we all well know. That said, another Gaddafi is certainly not the answer. I understand why people who are not from Libya would probably think Haftar is a good guy to have at the top. After all, he freed up Libyan oil, which is good for the country, and some say he has the most power to unite--or I should say, the power to unite the most disparate factions, but there will still be a lot of militias fighting his rule so it's probably not a recipe for peace. Plus, he's Gaddafi-era military, so how would he be different?

Gaddafi created a unique form of direct democracy used Libya’s oil wealth, provide free healthcare and education, give Libya 5th highest GDP per capita in Africa, highest development rating in Africa on UN’s HDI index, which measures health and education as well as income... It's a best platform for his son, cause people in Lybia today lives worst than in Gaddafi's regime.

Gaddafi described Libya as the cork in the bottle and he said once you topple me you uncork migration. Very precisely, if we looking what's going today in this country.

Gaddafi had gold to start his own currency. They took it. He had a stable country which mucks up their plans. He was the gate keeper of Africa. Now the gates are open so refugees, terrorist groups - move into Europe.... Result is just like we see last few years.

Regime change in Libya failed because all what allies did was topple Gaddafi. There was no plan whatsoever for the country after Gaddafi. Except, "take and use oil fields"

Syria and Iran are very similar. They have functioning governments ruled by brutal dictators. It takes a long time to convince the government to not flee if the dictators fall.

So if westerners can learn to be as patient as Middle Easterners, we'll be able to see what's actually happening in the region...In this moment everything looks like a total chaos

Yup. Without rules, without law, without strategy. Very bad picture and results of Africa's spring....Not just in Libya, all region is a pretty similar. "Anarchy in the Libya"- like a old song of Sex Pistols, "Anarchy in the UK"