rainman

Regime For Regime: China Says Willing To Provide Venezuela With What Help It Can

China is willing to provide Venezuela with what help it can, Premier Li Keqiang told Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro on Friday, but there was no mention in state media of China providing any new funds for the country. Maduro is in China on a four-day trip to discuss economic agreements, as the crisis-struck OPEC nation seeks to persuade its key Asian financier to disburse fresh loans. Li told Maduro that China supported Venezuela’s efforts to develop its economy and improve people’s livelihoods, and it was willing to provide what help it could, Chinese state television reported, without giving details. China was also willing to keep developing business and trade exchanges, and hoped that Venezuela could provide more “policy support and legal guarantees”, Li added. In a separate meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Maduro thanked China for its long-term understanding and support, Chinese media said.

Of course, China  extends support to all rogue regimes around the world...

It means....China is willing to buy Venezuela.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If they willing to help Venezuela, they have to keep Maduro in China

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

At what cost? At the cost of their natural resources.... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They have the world largest oil reserves and they are looking for aid of China?! China will help them In exchange for all of their resources for the next couple of centuries. And their souls....

• Like 2

This is a Chinese way to open the door of South America. Too strong influence of China, Russia there....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well so get rid of Maduro and these corrupt army they have there. If the army would stand for its people Venezuela wouldn't be this it is now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My guess is that the Chinese model of external "assistance" was set with its relations with Sri Lanka  (Ceylon to the British).   At one point the Chinese approached the government of Sri Lanka with their "New Silk Road" ideas, the result of which was a massive development of their major port.  Of course, that development was made by Chinese loans, but the contractors and designers of the port had to be Chinese, and the equipment such as the port cranes also had to be Chinese.  The end result was that Chinese money was used to hire Chines enterprises, with the govt of Ski Lanka acting as a sort of guarantor. 

So, then the projected port volumes, and thus the port fees, never materialized.  The govt of Sri Lanka could not make the loan payments.  So the Chinese took ownership of that port, and now they control who goes in and out and sets the fees levels. 

Basically, the country now belongs to the Chinese.  He who controls the ports, controls the trade, controls who gets to come in and dock, and who stays out.  For the Chinese, it's "just business, nothing personal." 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pinto said:

They have the world largest oil reserves and they are looking for aid of China?! China will help them In exchange for all of their resources for the next couple of centuries. And their souls....

This thread parallels another large thread on this forum.  All I can say about China.  Now that’s altruism...........

• Like 1

Dont hold your breath for this still too uncertain and unknown news of help from China. And if so, the amount is so small compared to the past amounts that this does not surprise me. China is just keeping its last hope with Maduro although not much faithful on the government recovery and discipline. Besides this amount not close enough to recover venezuelan oil production to pay this loan and no cash enough. So i think theres too much of propaganda hype over this news in my view. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

9 hours ago, franco said:

Of course, China  extends support to all rogue regimes around the world...

If we talk about Venezuela = do you know history of South America? Because I dont know whether you really have no idea about at least  several dozen dictators supported by USA in 20th century  on this continent and each of them killed hundreds or  thousands or even  tens  of thousands people or you are just so cynical.

Read about Operation Condor for example= 80.000 victims in 20 years and about 400.000 prisoners in 6 countries with full support of CIA of course.

China is a begginer in supporting regimes in comparison with USA.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 5:37 PM, Tomasz said:

China is a begginer in supporting regimes in comparison with USA.

China has done vassal states for thousands of years. Just ask their neighbors. 

I don't think anybody is thinking that China is acting here in anyone's best interest but their own. China has at least one huge Refinery that is completely tooled to process Venezuelan crude oil and as far as I know, not much else. It is in China's best interest to float Venezuela whatever they need so that Venezuela continues to ship what little oil they do have to China for its refinery. 

• Like 3

(edited)

9 hours ago, John Foote said:

China has done vassal states for thousands of years. Just ask their neighbors. 

China has this embarrassing habit of simply invading and installing their Governors at gunpoint  (OK, sword-point).  The Tibetans will vouch for that.  And if you don't capitulate, expect to get shelled every day for years.  The folks on Quemoy and Matsu will vouch for that.  Bullying is a  trait ascribed to certain officials in segments of the Communist Government of Mainland China, unfortunately.   

Edited by Jan van Eck
Eliminated generalizations.
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I don't think anybody is thinking that China is acting here in anyone's best interest but their own. China has at least one huge Refinery that is completely tooled to process Venezuelan crude oil and as far as I know, not much else. It is in China's best interest to float Venezuela whatever they need so that Venezuela continues to ship what little oil they do have to China for its refinery. 

You kinda wonder if that hefty Chinese refinery would run on Canadian oil-sands stuff, assuming the Canadians can ever figure out how to get the product to the Coast for tanker loading............

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

You kinda wonder if that hefty Chinese refinery would run on Canadian oil-sands stuff, assuming the Canadians can ever figure out how to get the product to the Coast for tanker loading............

I think Cold Lake crude is a substitute for Venezuelan Merey, yes. Maybe China should be backing Canada instead to beef up its pipeline lobby. methinks any bet on Maduro is a bad one.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

AFTER China completes the purchase of Canada, they will build the new necessary pipelines (will 3 be enough?) in about a year (immigration laws will be Chinese then, so they can import shiploads and planeloads of workers and engineers to get the job done)!!!! They will at the same time relocate the First Nations (and Second Nations?) burial sites out of the way, so that the spirits will have new unobstructed (albeit colder) lands to walk across.  They might even build a new city or two!  And the new Prime Minister, Justin Hu(?), will make sure all runs smoothly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan Warnick said:

AFTER China completes the purchase of Canada, they will build the new necessary pipelines (will 3 be enough?) in about a year (immigration laws will be Chinese then, so they can import shiploads and planeloads of workers and engineers to get the job done)!!!! They will at the same time relocate the First Nations (and Second Nations?) burial sites out of the way, so that the spirits will have new unobstructed (albeit colder) lands to walk across.  They might even build a new city or two!  And the new Prime Minister, Justin Hu(?), will make sure all runs smoothly.

Dan, I worry about you.  All that cynicism..........

And, then that dig on Joe Clark........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Bullying is  [ text fixed by Jan ]

Careful of generalizations, please.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Careful of generalizations, please.

Quoted material is corrected to a narrow segment of that Government.  Forgive my migrant lack of precision of English. I will work on developing a better command of it.  

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 1

regarding all this interesting ideas and discussion going on here related to China and Venezuela, i have to say first chinese communities here are getting tired of all the crisis happening in the country and many of them are fleeing or sending their kids abroad, many of them wealthy and with properties in Miami, Panama and so on, so in this sense, i think this move by Beijing is merely based on purely geopolitical terms against the U.S. and not much worried about the situation of its nationals here although there's indeed a part of chinese doing businesses connected with high ranked officials in the government including military officers and generals leveraging on the whole corrupted system in Venezuela, so in this sense i think one thing is how first wave of chinese are going through this crisis and they getting sick and tired of this and Beijing and its geopolitical project regarding venezuela, although i think Beijing might run out of patience soon of all the chaos reigning in the country and leave it at its own devices just as it did with Zimbabwe at the end.

Also, i happened to know that an important part of the old deals and projects in the oil sector were abandoned or just stood by by China with venezuela so this is one of the reasons it generated an alarm to Maduro government in order to make this sudden trip to Beijing and request for a reactivation of these and the signing of allegedly 28 new deals in diverse areas. 

• Like 1

(edited)

On 9/14/2018 at 10:00 AM, pinto said:

That has to deal with the fact they destroyed PDVSA abusing of them using their proftis to finance their idiotic un-productive economic model and the national oil company did just run out of money to change their machinery because chavez was simply to busy giving it for free

now venezuela has to be remade from zero in all their destroyed infrastructure either private or public, the good thing is that commodity money either gold or silver standard or oil standard tends to be good at long term, like voltaire said all paper money eventualy returns to is real value -zero-

Edited by Sebastian Meana